How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2014
windowshopping

Thanks for your responses, I'll post my list of questions here, but first some other help I need - I have no idea if anyone can help me, I'm finding it impossible to find out prices of top fashion photographers, make up artists and hair stylists. Does anyone know a ball park figure that I could then work with?

Thanks so much!

27-05-2014
windowshopping

Survey
So I made a survey to make it a bit easier, if anyone has a spare couple of minutes:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1672536/Elsa-Schiaparelli

Thank you so much, it is seriously appreciated!

29-05-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
Thanks for your responses, I'll post my list of questions here, but first some other help I need - I have no idea if anyone can help me, I'm finding it impossible to find out prices of top fashion photographers, make up artists and hair stylists. Does anyone know a ball park figure that I could then work with?

Thanks so much!
It's negotiated ... and it depends on the individual. And it's so private and varies so much from job to job that I don't think you can find that information anywhere.

And starting makeup artists and photographers often work for free. And climb up the rate ladder, as they become more in demand. There is no real helpful "ball park " figure. If I had to give one, I'd say $0-&10,000 a day ... depending on a myriad of factors. I know ... that doesn't really answer your question.

I have heard that one US Vogue photographer makes $50,000 per shoot (a shoot can take a few days, plus extra days in planning and post ... but that is only hearsay. I have also heard that Rachel Zoe (fashion stylist ... not hair and makeup) used to make $6,000 a day for styling a celeb at her height of fame ... but now, who knows? She's got into so many other things.

The average photogs and MUAs are starving ... or work second jobs. I do know that MUAs in LA can get about $500 to $1000 a day ( up to 14 hour days, BTW) .... if they are experienced and have developed a good reputation among prospective clients. (In LA, they are expected to do both hair and makeup in most cases). But they might only work a few days a month, so their income is usually less than $10,000 a year. Commercial photographers make more per day, maybe twice as much or more, but they also don't work every day either. And they have more costs like studio rentals, and post production services sometimes.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-05-2014 at 04:50 PM.
16-08-2014
windowshopping

Fashion online shopping - variety of choice
Hello everyone!

I am doing a small survey in order to finish my Masters thesis in Fashion Management at the Swedish School of Textiles.

I want to see how important variety of choice is to online stores and to what extent it might become overwhelming in making choices.

I can assure you filling it out will not take more than 10 minutes of your time and that almost all questions are multiple-choice, so you don't need to write at all!

Here you can fill out the survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pBe...?usp=send_form

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

19-08-2014
V.I.P.

I have seen some new members post repeatedly in thread looking for test-takers. our other members are not obligated to take your survey. i might suggest that if you are that desperate for test takers then you instead post links to actual paying tasks, called HITs (Human Intelligence Tasks), that are available to be completed on Amazon's crowdsourcing service - Amazon Mechanical Turk. https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome. or perhaps use some other similar legitimate service - that way your surveys are more likely to be filled out.

any reposts in this thread are going to be deleted. thanks for understanding.

12-10-2014
backstage pass

Hi everybody!
I'm doing a research for fashion school about "High School Prom", does anyone know about fashion editorials, campaigns, anything with a sort of "Prom" situation going on? Thanks in advance!
X

fashion icon

^Check out Teen Vogue, they've always done lots of prom editorials (and I think a number of them are on their site and you might find them on old TV threads here too). I always thought most of their prom editorials were very beautifully done (and goodness knows its been awhile since I went to prom! haha).

windowshopping

Advice on the fashion industry needed for a mystery novel
I am wondering whether someone more familiar with the fashion industry than I am will be able to give me advice.

I am writing a mystery novel, where one of the nieces of the rich head of the family is an aspiring fashion designer.
I need there to be a relatively urgent situation in which if she was to get her inheritance in the next little while, this would make a great difference for her career. It would help if this situation could be reasonably believed to be a once in a lifetime kind of an opportunity.

I was thinking in something along the lines of someone giving her designs a test run, but if she was able to invest into her own marketing as well, she could have a much better chance of her contract being extended past the minimum agreed amount of time.

Does the above make any sense at all? If it doesn't, what would be an equivalently urgent situation that would actually be possible?

What kind of time limitations would there be involved? Approximately, how much money would my character need?
Any other suggestion you may have?

V.I.P.

Two things pop into my mind as ideas to explore:

One, she' got the opportunity to launch her line at Fashion Week in NY, Milan or Paris. It would require a major investment of cash to do this ... to stage the show, hire top models and to get a solid marketing and PR team on it to make it a success. I really don't know if this can be done by an unknown designer, but I suspect that with enough money, anything is possible. This would be the most "romantic" scenario for an aspiring designer, I would think.

The second idea is probably more real and I think you were actually referring to this: She's has succeeded in her marketing efforts (maybe something rather creative, other than the FW show) and has caught the attention of a buyer from a major store (Neimans, Saks, Barneys, or any high end store ... maybe pick one in Paris) and needs the injection of money to start production, or they will walk.

No idea of how much this would take, ... but I am thinking.it would run in the hundreds of thousands, at the very least for either one. it would require some soled research on your part, to make sure you have the facts right for either one of these things.

3 Weeks Ago
windowshopping

Thank you so much, Bette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
One, she' got the opportunity to launch her line at Fashion Week in NY, Milan or Paris. It would require a major investment of cash to do this ... to stage the show, hire top models and to get a solid marketing and PR team on it to make it a success. ...I suspect that with enough money, anything is possible.
This option is very attractive, but I think it is lacking the once-in-a-lifetime element. If that certain amount of cash would be able to buy her the spot at a Fashion Week this time, it would be possible at some point later as well. That's what I am thinking, anyway.

Quote:
The second idea is probably more real and I think you were actually referring to this: She's has succeeded in her marketing efforts (maybe something rather creative, other than the FW show) and has caught the attention of a buyer from a major store (Neimans, Saks, Barneys, or any high end store ... maybe pick one in Paris) and needs the injection of money to start production, or they will walk.

No idea of how much this would take, ... but I am thinking.it would run in the hundreds of thousands, at the very least for either one.
Yes, this is very fitting with what I was thinking.
I wonder, what kind of funds would be needed and how much time limit she would have...

Quote:
...it would require some soled research on your part, to make sure you have the facts right for either one of these things.
Any advice on where would I go from here to find out more details?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyana Carol View Post

Any advice on where would I go from here to find out more details?
there are MANY documentaries on fashion week that are readily available on across MULTIPLE platforms. for example "The Tents".

the inheiritance angle seems a bit weak, i would use a potential infusion of capital from a venture capitalist as a possible conceit instead or bette's suggestion of a buyer.

3 Weeks Ago
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
the inheiritance angle seems a bit weak, i would use a potential infusion of capital from a venture capitalist as a possible conceit
Being able to make do without the inheritance will entirely remove her as a murder suspect. Not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
instead or bette's suggestion of a buyer.
Unless I can find a way to make the Fashion Week a believable once in lifetime option, the buyer is what I will be going with.

V.I.P.

I hope I can get help here.
For my Consumer Behavior assignment I should run a report on ethics and social issues in the fashion industry. To complete it, I need to determine people's opinions on this topic. I would be very thankful if you could take 5 minutes and answer to 9 simple questions in the survey I have created. Here is the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VYBR5PV
I need at least 15 participants. Thank you so much in advance!

3 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet rus View Post
I hope I can get help here.
For my Consumer Behavior assignment I should run a report on ethics and social issues in the fashion industry. To complete it, I need to determine people's opinions on this topic. I would be very thankful if you could take 5 minutes and answer to 9 simple questions in the survey I have created. Here is the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VYBR5PV
I need at least 15 participants. Thank you so much in advance!
done! the survey took me less than 5 minutes.

2 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Thank you so much lucy92! I have run my report. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, homework, needed, needing, research, studies, university