Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

07-05-2018
Automated Thread Manager

Please Help Me With My Homework / Research / Survey #2
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

07-05-2018
windowshopping

Please Help Me With My Homework / Research / Survey
For one of my classes I have to write a 5,000-6,000 page report on a topic of my choice. I have decided to write about how my College (which is very traditional aka Business, Arts and Sciences, Criminal Justice, etc) should offer a Fashion Marketing class. In this paper I have to address background on the fashion industry and how and why this is a lucrative professional choice that is attracting more and more students into the field... Any suggestions?

07-05-2018
trendsetter

Hello,

I'm a fashion student in Paris. I'm working on the brand Nanushka (from Budapest).
For anyone with a WWD subscription, could you copy and paste it and send it to me, if that's not too much trouble, please ?

http://wwd.com/business-news/retail/...re-1202663105/

Thank you so much :):flower:

windowshopping

Fashion in Electronic Dance Music Culture
Dressing for the Electronic Dance Music Festival, (re-)branding of DJ/Producers with unique promotional apparel, and other fashion phenomena in Electronic Dance Music culture are welcome topics for discussion in this forum on "Fashion in Electronic Dance Music Culture".

Please, feel free to abstract upon the topics above or otherwise introduce new topics as it relates to the overall forum on "Fashion in Electronic Dance Music Culture".

Share your perspectives and reveal any insights, issues, commentary and other novel ideas constructively. Listing, essay, debate or other approaches to the readings and responses are up to anyone making their contribution.

Posts directly in response to both the Forum's main subject and in response to previous posts are encouraged.

Thank you for your time and attention to these details.

1 Week Ago
windowshopping

FAO Fashion designers and bloggers
Hi Fashion designers and bloggers,

I am doing some research regarding the process of having a photo-shoot done with a photographer and would love some feedback on the following:

1. How do you find the process of setting up for a photo shoot? IE. Finding models, sourcing the location etc… Would you like the photographer’s input and advice on this?
2. How do you find the process and interaction between you and the photographer? IE. Image selection process
3. What areas would you like your photographer to improve on? IE. Making it easier to access images, making the selection process quicker?
4. What 3 things do you find a struggle when organizing a photo shoot to when having the final images?
5. What 3 things do you enjoy when organizing a photo shoot to when having the final images?

I would really appreciate any advice given. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I was a stylist who mainly worked in print with various photographers in the Los Angeles area. I can comment a bit on this topic ... about how it usually works. I can't comment on what a client likes and doesn't like, except what I have seen them discuss.

Advance planning: Usually the photographer "organizes" the shoot ... not the client. The client organizes the products or items they want to have shot. Unless the client has a preference, the photographer usually selects the wardrobe/fashion stylist and the hair/makeup artist that will be used. Also, the photographer works with the client to select models from a local agency and sometimes works with the client to select a location. If it is catalog work, the photographer's studio is all that is needed. Back drops are selected from what the photographer has and props, if any, are sourced by anyone ... the client, the photographer, the stylist.

It should be team work, with the photographer leading the team. But ... the photographer is pretty much at the mercy of the client, if the client want's to be in charge. The client is paying ... so it's his money. The photographer was hired to produce what he usually does ... so it's his vision. A delicate dance, to say the least.

Therefore, the most important thing, I think (and something you did not mention) is: who is in charge? If the photographer and the client struggle for power on set, it totally disrupts the work and upsets the crew and most importantly, the models, who must be able to deliver their best work..

Almost all clients want to be there at the shoot, and they are entitled to be there. Some will allow the photographer to do his thing, but many will not. So ... this needs to be worked out in detail ... in advance, with everyone agreeing who is going to be responsible for each detail. And who will direct the models and the crew.

Most of the time, the photog directs his own assistants, and the client will want to direct models and the stylists. But ... taking full charge, the client will loose the photographer's vision and the results may be mediocre. So, in the best situation, I think , is to have a collaboration between the two. Photog in charge of and directing the models and team, but with permission from the client if he wants to change anything substantially. It's up to the photog to convince the client that the changes will make it better.

The client would be given "proofs" of all of the shots taken (there would be many of each outfit) and would be tasked with selecting his/her choices. The photographer would then do "post" photoshopping .... fixing color, cleaning up the photo, etc. to get it ready for the client. What I do know, is that the client usually wants to look at the photos while the shoot is in progress, and also immediately after the shoot. Clients would love to have proofs in hand, that day. Some photogs are able to deliver this fast ... some, not so fast. The photog must advise the client when and how many proofs they may expect ... in advance, in writing. And it's important that he deliver when he says he will. Deadlines are very important to a client and any delays will damage his reputation.

Hope this information helps some.

Last edited by BetteT; 1 Week Ago at 11:10 AM.
1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

BTW, Welcome to tFS!!

You might be interested in some other threads in this forum:

STYLIST & PHOTOGRAPHER: WORKING TOGETHER:
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90...her-50058.html

WHO IS MOST IMPORTANT FOR A GOOD PHOTO - PHOTOGRAPHER OR MODEL?
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90...del-69027.html

CLIENTS: (how not to get burned)
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/clients-34987.html

Also, if you "Search this Forum" (at the top of the thread list in Careers, Education ...) using photographer, photography, photographers ... you will find some other threads that might be of interest.

Last edited by BetteT; 1 Week Ago at 11:27 AM.
5 Days Ago
windowshopping

Hi Bette,

Ah that is amazing. Thank you for sharing. It defiantly clarifies what I was thinking. I will also take a look at the other links you have sent, they also look interesting.

Much appreciated.

Bansri

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, bloggers, culture, dance, designers, electronic, fao, fashion, homework, music, research, survey