How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-07-2008
backstage pass

Ninel 28 i would check the bay area craigslist, they always have stuff available and you could post your own as well. it is probably a bit early for most students to know if they will be around in the summer though or where exactly they will be living.

ps. san fran is amazing, i wish i had stayed in the bay for school

31-07-2008
front row

I was also wondering if it is possible to get housing for 6 weeks during the winter and where. My school has a 6 week long winter break, usually from around November 21st to January 2nd and I would love to intern during that time in NYC.

31-07-2008
fashion elite

The Webster is an all-women's residence in Manhattan, as are the Brandon and the Markel. If you look through this thread you will find a wealth of information, tips, and links. As for 6 wk. winter housing, your best bet is probably subletting. Try craigslist or subletinthecity.com

NYU and Columbia University both open their dorms to interning students during the summer. I'm not aware of any other schools in NYC that allow non-enrolled students to live in their residence halls.

31-07-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitschristine View Post
I also really want to get an internship in NYC next summer. What are some schools that open their dorms for students (that don't attend their school) during the summer? What is Webster? Is that the name of a college?

So you should apply for housing by February? What if you don't even have an internship set up by then? I think I would still just apply for housing and hope for the best..
yes, it's best just to apply early regardless of whether you have the internship. At the least, you'd lose $100 for a registeration fee. These places get filled up very fast because they're cheap (for nyc) and they're right in the city.

As well as the webster, markle, brandon, there's also the Centro Maria , Sacred Heart, El Carmelo, Jeanne D'Arc (the cheapest: $650 a month with meals!) etc. But they all have a curfew (11:30pm on weekdays, midnight on weekends).

I, personally, wouldn't sublet. It costs too much money, and more than likely the internship will be unpaid.

Last edited by fashionicon; 31-07-2008 at 09:27 PM.
01-08-2008
backstage pass

Does anybody else know anywhere on the entire internet where you can find apartments in Nice, France that are not holiday apartments and are not furnished? We can't afford to go through an agent else you basically have to pay three months' rent before you've even walked into the place. We are already paying $5,000 to move there; three months' rent would eat up all our savings and we would have nothing to live on for an entire month! We can't do that!

01-08-2008
backstage pass

^^ I also need advice on how to find housing in France, but I'm looking for something in the 12th of Paris.. everything I've found so far is either pervy old men looking for roommates or temporary renting and I need something for long term. I'm afraid I'll have to wait until I physically get over there.. and then have to pay for a hotel for however long..

backstage pass

^ Yeah, I am having the long-term problem too. We want to stay 1-3 years but everyone seems to want someone who is only staying a few months at most. Then the people who want long-term are not replying to me! If it's already taken they could at least let me know with a quick message. It only takes a second.

I don't know where you are looking, but I've been looking here: http://france.angloinfo.com/

(Click on the area, then click on 'Classifieds' in top right menu, then 'Property for rent' under classifieds on the right-hand side.)

By the time we are in France we will only have a week to three weeks to find a place. I'm worried we'll have to live in a tiny one-room apartment that doesn't even have a cooker.

02-08-2008
scenester

hey guys, i am moving to NY in mid september and wanted to know if anyone is looking for or knows of someone who needs a flatmate. im 24, pretty neat hehe sorry to be vague at this point but seriously dont know where or how to start looking, would appreciate any help

04-08-2008
rising star

Hello! Im moving to Paris to learn french this fall. Anyone who knows anyone who needs a short-term (3.5 months) flatmate?

backstage pass

^ See my post above. You can register and post an ad for a flatmate completely free.

12-08-2008
boo

I plan on moving to London soon...where should I look for places online? I've tried Foxtons, Gumtree, Spareroom & nice room..

13-08-2008
rising star

Hi everyone - not sure if this is the right place for my query but I'll try it! I'm from the UK and have lately been dreaming about working in the U.S, does anyone have any idea how hard it is? I presume I need a visa, are they easy to get?

V.I.P.

It's not easy ... and got harder after 9/11/2001. You either need to have a work visa (which has a time limit) or be a permanent resident with a "green card". Work Visas require that you pretty much have a sponsoring employer who can make a case for you that you are already established in your field of work and that is why they are hiring you. It takes money and time to do this ... but first you must find the employer to bring you over.

More information can be found at the US government site. It used to be the Dept. of Immigration and Naturalization But it's different now ... and I forget what they call it now. Google it ... maybe using those words plus visa and United States ... it should be pretty easy to find.

18-08-2008
front row

can any londoners out there suggest what areas to stay in and what areas to avoid? i'm not quite sure if there are some areas that are considered "unsafe" so i'd be thankful if anyone can give me some hints!

a bit of a strange add on but are there any areas that are considered more "young" like shoreditch perhaps?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

04-09-2008
rising star

^^ theres are so many places, Camden is a good place to live such as kentish town and so on thats still very expensive though!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
apartments, flats, housing, relocating, rentals, roomates