How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2008
rising star

I am 17 years old (am a junior in high school) and will be interning in the fashion department of a Hearst magazine this summer in New York City.

I am extremely stumped about housing though -- are there places that allow 17 year old girls to stay? I was thinking about the NYU dorms but they close summer housing on August 4th and my internship will not be over by then (it's for school-credit). Thanks so much! I already asked Webster Apartments (a working women's place) but you have to be at least 18. I don't have any relations or friends in NYC, unfortunately.

06-01-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorable View Post
I am 17 years old (am a junior in high school) and will be interning in the fashion department of a Hearst magazine this summer in New York City.

I am extremely stumped about housing though -- are there places that allow 17 year old girls to stay? I was thinking about the NYU dorms but they close summer housing on August 4th and my internship will not be over by then (it's for school-credit). Thanks so much! I already asked Webster Apartments (a working women's place) but you have to be at least 18. I don't have any relations or friends in NYC, unfortunately.
I'm guessing you don't live in the NYC metro area so...
Have you tried Craigslist.org and look for temp housing on there?
When do you start your internship?

rising star

sanita13, no I haven't -- are minors allowed to lease sublets and such though from craigslist.com?
I will be interning from mid-June to mid-August.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorable View Post

I can only assume that all housing will require that you be 18 or accompanied by a parent/guardian ... because of the liability they would face if something happend to you.

I think that you are on the right track ... attempting to find a safe place to stay and that should be your first concern.

Be extremely cautious of any situation where you are not 100% sure that you are in a protected environment ... NY is a tough city (well, anywhere can be dangerous). Be aware that predators will "advertise" on line, in the paper ... to attrace young women (or young guys, for that matter) .... and you could possibly put yourself in a very dangerous situation.

I wish I knew of someplace but I think most of those types of places do require that you be of legal age ... 18. You might try youth hostels ... at least you would be in a dorm situation and there's more safety in numbers.

06-01-2008
fashion icon

I think at your age it might be easier to be in the city to organise rather than trying to do it all online. I'm at Webster now and actually for some reason I thought they allowed you to stay if you were under 18 but had written consent from your parent/guardian or something like that. There are some other student housing available in the summer I think.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-01-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: post mved to this thread ... removing out of context comment.
06-01-2008
rising star

Cicciolina, I called and faxed the Webster a letter and when they got back to me they told me they couldn't accept me because I'll only be 17 1/2 :[. I suppose I will look for other student housing programs then!

fashion icon

New York housing for women - Brandon Residence (www.thebrandon.org)

11-01-2008
fashion icon

I think the brandon is the best because it's all women, safe, great location, and cheap for short-term residence.

11-01-2008
trendsetter

I haven't called the Brandon yet (I've been in classes until odd hours) but I called the Webster last August (2007) when I first heard of it and they were full then for this coming summer. At least that's what they said. Maybe someone has dropped out?

windowshopping

Hi everyone, I'm planning on moving to nyc this fall to pursue my dreams and also to move my label from Atlanta. Anyone have any tips on areas to live in the city ? I'm looking mainly for a studio where I can just relax and design, but in a nice area. Any ideas ? Thanks!

Ciao

tfs star

Has anyone considered staying at hotel for their summer internships?

During my internship in NYC last summer, I stayed at the De Hirsch Residence (I can't remember quite how expensive it was, but I remember it being ridiculous even for NYC) It was a single room, had a community bathroom equipped with some cockroaches , no t.v, although it was in a nice part of Manhattan. I just didn't think it was worth the money.

I went back to NYC for fashion week, and ended up staying at "Sefarers and International House" (www.sihnyc.org). It's on 15th street (just a block from Union Sq), next to a whole foods, it's clean, the bathroom is right across the hall and is shared by one other room, it has a sink and t.v in its rooms, it's safe (I'm a 21 year old girl that would often come home at midnight), and get this, it was only $80 a night.

I'll def. be going back the next time I go to NY.

I don't know how long you can stay there (I stayed there for about 3 weeks), but it doesn't hurt to ask. I wish I would have stayed there all summer instead of De Hirsch.

Last edited by fashionicon; 13-01-2008 at 01:19 AM.
13-01-2008
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenamesvint View Post
Hi everyone, I'm planning on moving to nyc this fall to pursue my dreams and also to move my label from Atlanta. Anyone have any tips on areas to live in the city ? I'm looking mainly for a studio where I can just relax and design, but in a nice area. Any ideas ? Thanks!

Ciao
Greenwich Village is where all the arty people live.

13-01-2008
fashion icon

fashionicon, Sefarers and International House sounds really good!

pinksatin, I also heard that Webster were booked out for the coming summer, as is NYU dorms actually. There's another women's residence in the Lower West side called something like the Markel or Marquel, I need to get the exact name off a friend who's applying to stay there (US$1300-$1400 a month).

Another alternative is to look at a serviced apartment. From memory they were about US$100 per night starting for a studio so that's quite pricey also.

13-01-2008
windowshopping

Eurofashionjunk, thanks for the info. As for Greenwich Village, is that in Midtown west or east...or am I wrong all together ? Thanks!

Ciao

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenamesvint View Post
Eurofashionjunk, thanks for the info. As for Greenwich Village, is that in Midtown west or east...or am I wrong all together ? Thanks!

Ciao
Greenwich will be quite expensive just so you know.

You could also look up Williamsburg(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamsburg,_Brooklyn) in Brooklyn. It's where a lot of the creative "hipsters" reside. It's a haven of music, awesome vintage stores, and art, and it's not as expensive.

Granted it's not in "the city" (Manhattan), but it's not that far away from it, and it's a slight departure from the sounds of the city. It's almost as if you forget that you are in NY when you're there.

There are also surrounding communities by Williamsburg, that are just as nice.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
apartments, flats, housing, relocating, rentals, roomates