How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-04-2008
boo

shoegal i think foxtons.co.uk have flats available for short term let?

10-04-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien View Post
thank for the support chloegirl

but what worries me is the current state of our economy, (US wise)
and the potential pitfalls that might come with making the move at this current state of our economic crises.

i might get a job and then a few months later they cut my hours/pay or even worse, get laid off.

i also worry about my parents, and their ability to maintain themselves above water per se. they make ends meet, but if one of them were to be fired, (my dad is a tailor and my mom takes care of two kids for this rich family and both have taken pay cuts recently) i doubt they can pull themselves together. plus my younger/only sister is in college right now, and i'm paying for it.

so each time somethings breaks down or an unforeseen debt comes up, i pay for it. that been said, i doubt i can stretch my finances as well being in another city and having my own financial woes to worry about. plus, if i'm going to try and make it in the fashion industry, (magazines in particular, hence me moving to NYC) I will more than likely have to work myself up...so my first year or two will be me doing grunt work. so...yeah. a lot to think about.

but i'll probably see you up there.

ciao
safe to say you've got a pretty full plate dorien! but like meg suggested, temping would be a great way to get started! plus you really do never know who you'll meet along the way.

all the best and stay positive!

10-04-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofashionjunki View Post
Greenwich Village is where all the arty people live.
Also the East Village.

10-04-2008
tfs star

sprigged: thanks, the pictures show a pretty nice location although they always put the best rooms online but so far that's on top of our list.
I'm still thinking about the bloomsbury one though. We're saving 500 euros but everytime we went in London we stayed in russel square, and i'm pretty familiar with that zone (although i hate the elevators in the underground station)so i don't know.
AND now we're having second thoughts about London because in summer is full of italians and we want to literally avoid them.And that's kind of impossible.
So NY is the other choice although my bf cannot work there as he needs a visa and we're only staying 2 months. I'm trying to find an internship in either London or NY but he speaks very little (VERY VERY little) english so the only job he could actually do is maybe waiter.
I'm so confused. ;( I'm checking out every option right now
OhJane, thanks!ill check it out ASAP!!

trendsetter

I'm getting scurrd. I had applied, and visited the Brandon and was told back in March I was on the waiting list and "on the map" whatever that means and that they would contact me in April for an interview. Well april is half gone and I planned to move in in early May so I called and they told me it's still a possibility but so far none of the residents have move-out plans yet and all rooms are full. So basically to get a plan B. If this is for a summer internship would a sublet be best probably? I'm nervous! I can't visit to look at anything and I don't want to look to feverishly incase I do get a room at the Brandon.

Meg
inspired contemplation

shoegal, angel is really nice. I mean it does have some sketchy bits but you really have to wander in to find them. It has a nice high street and is close to interesting areas like Clerkenwell. My friend lives right on the Angel/Clerkenwell border and it's a very convenient place to live. Both NY and London have big italian populations but I would think London has a bigger italian speaking population which might work for your boyfriend better.

StellaMare: Actually, the transport for zone 2 (thats as far out I would go convenience wise) is only a couple pounds more expensive a month I think and even if you were living in zone 1 you'd need a travelcard that had zone 2 on it imo because a lot of places you don't realize are in zone 2 and if you have friends you want to visit I guarantee some will be in zone 2. There are a load of places that are great to live in zone 2 and I think it's nicer a wee bit further out since you have access to central london but also your own pubs and community. Plus if you live in central london groceries etc. are generally going to be a bit more expensive since all those mini grocery stores have inflated prices. Anyway since I lived in South London I really only know those areas but if you are looking around and find a couple places just PM me and I'll let you know what I know about the area

14-04-2008
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksatin View Post
I'm getting scurrd. I had applied, and visited the Brandon and was told back in March I was on the waiting list and "on the map" whatever that means and that they would contact me in April for an interview. Well april is half gone and I planned to move in in early May so I called and they told me it's still a possibility but so far none of the residents have move-out plans yet and all rooms are full. So basically to get a plan B. If this is for a summer internship would a sublet be best probably? I'm nervous! I can't visit to look at anything and I don't want to look to feverishly incase I do get a room at the Brandon.
Read this:

http://misscouturable.blogspot.com/2...esidences.html

I found more in New York:
(http://www.danceart.com/NYDanceScene/nyds_3_97_l1.htm)

Women's Residences
Allerton House
130 East 57th Street
New York, NY 10022
(212) 753-8841
Private bath optional; restaurant; under 18 years depends on situation; $65 per night, single, no bath; $85 per night single with bath; $105 per night, double, no bath; $120 per night, double with bath; $140 per night, triple with bath. No weekly rates. Maxiumum seven day stay. May be extended under certain circumstances.
The Brandon
340 West 85th Street
(212) 496-6901
Mrs. Jarrett, Director
Walking distance from Steps on Broadway, W. 72nd Street Studios, West Side Dance Project, West Side Dance Physical Therapy; short bus ride (M104 downtown) or subway (IRT Seventh Avenue downtown local, to 66th Street or 59th Street) to Lincoln Center/Carnegie Hall area and the Broadway Dance Center and Alvin Ailey. No age requirements. One person per room, one month minimum. Depending on location and view, prices are $608 to $726 a month, which includes two meals a day. Beautiful facility, with a parlor, an auditorium, an exercise room, a practice room with a piano, and many planned activities, both cultural and social. Call for brochure and guidelines.
Centro Maria
539 West 54th Street
New York, NY 10019
(212) 757-6989
FAX (212) 307-5687
Sister Maria Lopez, Director
Walking distance from Broadway Dance Center, Alvin Ailey, Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, City Center, theatre district, dance supply shops, The Ballet Company (a shop), Central Park. Christian Organization run by the Religious Sisters of Mary Immaculate. Accepts women ages 18 to 27. Best to apply at least one month in advance. For a stay of one month or more, a private room plus two meals a day is $150 a week; a double or triple room is $135 per person. There is a $80 non-refundable registration fee. Residents supply their own bed linens and towels; no maid service. Special arrangement for shorter stays, but prices are higher: $245 for a single with shared facilities down the hall; $250 a week for a single with a toilet; Prices include two meals a day, 1 meal on Saturday. Evening curfews, 11:30 p.m. weekdays, midnight on weekends. Applications must be accompanied by two letters of recommendation and a photograph.
Judson Post Hall
YWCA of Brooklyn
30 Third Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11217
(718) 875-1190 x 291
Shared rooms; semi-private and private bath; kitchen; laundry facility; 18 years and older; $75 - $100 per week for a single; $35 membership fee; $16 key fee; $5 app. fee; 4 weeks deposit
Katherine House
118 West 13th Street
( between 6th and 7th Ave)
New York, NY 10011
(212) 242-6566
Minimum stay, 3 months; maximum stay, 3 years. For women 18-25 earning less than $25,000 a year; applications required. Price of $150 a week, includes two meals a day and light maid service. All single rooms, communal facilities. Summer terrace; parlor with baby grand piano. Gentlemen callers in the "beau rooms" only, and not after 11 p.m.
Markle Residence

(Salvation Army )
123 West 13th Street
New York, NY 10011
(212) 242-2400
Mr. and Mrs. Major Vanders, Directors
In the heart of Greenwich Village, walking distance to the Joffrey American Ballet Center, Peridance, Erick Hawkins. Short subway ride (IRT Seventh Avenue uptown local from 14th Street to 59th or 66th) to most other schools and cultural attractions. Accepts students from age 18, or younger students with adult chaperone. A "quad" is $128 a week per person; a triple is $143; a small double is $149; a large double is$170; a small single is $220; a large single is $223. All prices include two meals a day plus once-a-week maid service. Minimum length of stay, 31 days. No maxiumum. Lovely facility, organized social activities.
Parkside Evangeline

(Salvation Army)
18 Gramercy Park South
New York, NY 10003
(212) 677-6200
Shared bath; 2 meals daily, 6 week minimum stay in summer; application required; open to 18 to 35 year olds; $184 - $198 per week for a single; $188 per week for doubles
St. Mary's Residence

225 East 72nd Street
(at Fifth Avenue)
New York, NY 10021
(212) 249-6850
Close to East Side schools such as Ballet Academy East, Martha Graham, the 92nd Street Y. Crosstown bus to West 72nd Street, transfer to M104 bus downtown or the subway to Lincoln Center/Carnegie Hall area.Private rooms only, with common kitchenettes, bathrooms and coin-operated laundry facilities on each floor. For residents staying a minimum of three months, the price is $150 a week, which includes maid service. For shorter stays, the price is $50 a day. $170 security fee, application required. There is a waiting list so apply early! 18 years and older. No meals are provided.

Last edited by eurofashionjunki; 14-04-2008 at 08:33 PM.
14-04-2008
trendsetter

Wow! thanks! i had not heard of any of those places except the brandon of course. I feel like it might be too late if they have waiting lists also and I plan to go in a few weeks. I'll call and ask though. I also quickly searched craigslist for subletters and contacts one poster so far so hopefully something will pull through.

fashion icon

Good Luck!

15-04-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
shoegal, angel is really nice. I mean it does have some sketchy bits but you really have to wander in to find them. It has a nice high street and is close to interesting areas like Clerkenwell. My friend lives right on the Angel/Clerkenwell border and it's a very convenient place to live. Both NY and London have big italian populations but I would think London has a bigger italian speaking population which might work for your boyfriend better.

StellaMare: Actually, the transport for zone 2 (thats as far out I would go convenience wise) is only a couple pounds more expensive a month I think and even if you were living in zone 1 you'd need a travelcard that had zone 2 on it imo because a lot of places you don't realize are in zone 2 and if you have friends you want to visit I guarantee some will be in zone 2. There are a load of places that are great to live in zone 2 and I think it's nicer a wee bit further out since you have access to central london but also your own pubs and community. Plus if you live in central london groceries etc. are generally going to be a bit more expensive since all those mini grocery stores have inflated prices. Anyway since I lived in South London I really only know those areas but if you are looking around and find a couple places just PM me and I'll let you know what I know about the area
I just wanted to add that if you do buy travelcards, you can no longer get them for only zone 1- the minimum is zone 1 and 2, so you might as well live in zone 2. Personally I would never in a million years want to live in zone 1 as Central London doesn't appeal to me, and I think the "real" London is in the local areas, not the centre.

Shoegal- Angel is a great area, very easy to get to and from and there's loads to do around there as well. I actually know the area on that website quite well- it's not a terribly residential area, so you won't get tree lined streets or anything, but it's quite safe and convenient. It's in Clerkenwell rather than Islington.

12-05-2008
windowshopping

Hi,
I am a fashion student in Cincinnati and I'll be interning in NYC this summer. I've been looking on Craigslist and everywhere on the internet and it's been hard finding a summer sublet from June-Sept that isn't either really gross/a scam or wayyyy too expensive. I was wondering if anyone had information/advice for me?

I'm a 20 year old fashion student who is a non-smoker and I'll be working in the Empire State bldg, but I'll pretty much live in any area. I would really appreciate any advice. I am not leaving school til the middle of June, so I have a little bit of time left but I'm getting really stressed out about finding a place...

Thanks!!!

13-05-2008
backstage pass

i've been looking at craiglists too,
a few have caught my eye, but they are looking for females only...
i guess i can understand them wanting to live with the same sex, i wouldn't mind either way. i'm looking for something around $800 a month.
definitely nothing over $1000, couldn't afford it, and i think something under $600 would be kind of

have you seen the ones were they (guy)
asks for a submissive female who wants to live with him for free
as long as they get along, keep him entertained, cooks for him, keeps the place clean, and knows her place. not uptight!

he says!
I have found a couple of those, they always make me laugh.
i don't know if they are serious or not, but i wouldn't be surprised.

16-05-2008
princely

Can anyone enlighten me on housing in Brooklyn? What are the safer areas and which are the areas to avoid? I know Williamsburg, and not much else...

17-05-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaMare View Post
Meg: Do you know where one could find info about the nice, lesser known, areas of London that you speak of? :p I'm moving next year and I am looking into living somewhere less central but still convenient and safe. But then, maybe paying for transport would make it as expensive as living in zone 1..
Zone 1 is a no no. So expensive that anyone who doesn't have a high income should erase it out of their memory. Zone 2 makes the best choice for anyone who want to pay a high premium on housing while still living close to all the action. I live in zone 2 and can get to Oxford Street in a mere 20-25 minutes.

Living too far out in London won't necessarily make it cheaper. The difference in rent between living in Zone 2 and zone 3 isn't as big as you would think, you might save a few coins on rent but in the end you will have to buy a travel card covering an additional Zone making the travel expenses quite high. So sometimes it's pay off to live near the center, because then you have to spend less on transportation, and transportation here is incrediablly expensive.

I have lived in London more a barely 4 months. House hunting was a nightmare I never want to reoccur. Prices were high as a helicoper with the standard of living incredibally low, two extremes you don't want to deal with at once. So if you get there it's quite good to spare 2 weeks or so tyring to find the ideal place. A degree of patient is high important since it's also quite competative with housing here. Despite the high prices, landlords don't have any problems finding tentants so you have to very quick I discovered.

windowshopping

NYC Sublets
Yeah I've seen those..haha.
That's my price range too. I don't care where I live really, but I need to find a place ASAP. I'm getting really stressed about it...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
apartments, flats, housing, relocating, rentals, roomates