How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

ditto saliw641...amen..!!..

and don't we all taz...*sigh*...

23-05-2005
etre soi-meme

truth is there is not so much money in working with fashion...
much more when being a designer.. its ok when you work for someone else but trying to have your own business.. thats when one really is been taking a walk on the wild side..
best money made is by consulting, marketing and things like that, which of course need experience and 'time' to develop in well payed jobs..

23-05-2005
taz
MUSE

i think there is no much chance for the new generation -who are in their 20's- right now to have thier own fashion houses.
the chance was for those who were young during the 80's & 70's, & we as the younger generation have to work for them & save thier houses.

and softgrey i meant every one, the E was missed!!!!
again i think every one here needs a PIERE BERGE, BUT AGAIN
in the 60's & 70's there was no much designers with young ideas & it wasn't well developed industry, nowdays it is very crowded, and there is nothing new to add, that's why we have De-construction now.

23-05-2005
etre soi-meme

you are right taz, it seems hard -but not impossible- for new designers to have their own small fashion house, i know quite some people in Berlin, Paris, Athens that they are slowly working their way, so i guess its not impossible, just very hard to do..

and of course, it takes money to make money, much more in 'indie' fashion design

23-05-2005
windowshopping

The market is getting bigger and bigger now. Mass production is especially popular in America, with each growing year, it costs even more money and risk for starting designer to start a line. And then we have stupid J.lo and SeanJohn who are celeb driven fashion houses stealing all the jobs of real designers. That's effed up, they need to make that illegal. Oh in about 5 years we'd have Britney, Lindsay Lohan and whatever lower-middle-class celebs having their own lines. And the real designers like us would be working anonymously for them. Time to assasinate them

23-05-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by saliw641
And the real designers like us would be working anonymously for them. Time to assasinate them
:p

23-05-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmannequin
Is it just me though...or am I the only one that's completely not in it for the money. I can't see myself doing any other job, and as long as I can live off the wage/however much my company brings in then I'm happy.
I'm in school for marketing( working in the health care field)and i want out so bad...I love fashion. When I gradute I'm heading there. Icould'nt see myself anywhere else either, however I want to live too so I'm hoping the pay isn't too bad for an entry level position..
I'm planning for fashion marketing..Any one out there know what the salary range is ?

taz
MUSE

well, talking about fashion capitals and salaries, which city pays more? PARIS, MILAN, N.Y. or LONDON???

23-05-2005
tfs star

when a fashion photographer just starts how much do he/she make ?

23-05-2005
doing it

True about celeb designers...but they have designers working for them...its not as though they havent created jobs.

Every industry has its drawbacks.

But I am always amazed at how low the salaries go in fashion considering, there is this idea that if you want to work in fashion in the US youve gotta work in NY -- THE most expensive city on this continent.

To actually start my business is going to cost me a lot less in another city, like Miami for example, than it would cost me in NY.

24-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugobossdaria
when a fashion photographer just starts how much do he/she make ?
check the photography and stylist sections for answers about photography
rates and income...

24-05-2005
windowshopping

my friend is a photographer
she has worked 5 years living off her parents, who have been really generous with her while she builds a career. It is not easy. Her first big break finally came through this year (she shot the chaotic -britney & kevin photo for UPN). You have to know that it is a tough long road, a hard business to break into, and she was super lucky to have a supportive family (she also has sucked it up and lived at home). She has made under 30k a year (and even that took a while to build up to)

24-05-2005
windowshopping

Big Corporations are destroying the Fashion Industry for the sake of the "shareholder". You have CEO's who are into "product" does not matter what it is, but not the true essence of the designer.

Do not give up if you have a dream!! There is a niche if you want it bad enough. Everything goes in cycles. Small grass roots designers will rise again. I am speaking about the US. In Europe and Asia the small designers are slowly growing.

14-07-2005
scenester

I have no doubts that I want to be a designer in the fashion industry but with everything already been done, trends going round on conveyor belt, pieces being re-labeld and re packaged and fashion groups and houses already established it is hard to squeeze yoreself in!
With more and more people and money entering the fast moving fashion world and the older people refusing to leave, a bust up seems inevitable.

taz
MUSE

yes ur right MissAlexis, it is a very crowded world

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
$$$, fashion, salary