How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-04-2011
V.I.P.

Unfortunately, Dancing Queen isn't an active member and per her profile, hasn't posted since last July (and her last post here was in 2005) ... so I don't anticipate an answer. I wish I could offer some information, but I'm not a designer nor a buyer.

I'm hoping that someone else sees your post and can answer.

25-04-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by *classic gal* View Post
...when I go do I bring just some samples, or do I need to have an inventory before I go? Also, I should bring a "look book" with me? and how does pricing and payment go? if a store orders some pieces from me, they pay on delivery? and if a store buys my pieces and they sell, what happens next, do they contact me to buy more peices? any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!
when I go do I bring just some samples, or do I need to have an inventory before I go?
You don't need to have stock to attract your first orders. Attracting as much wholesale orders as you can should be one of your main objectives. Having an important number of wholesale orders will give you enough power to negotiate lower production and fabric costs (otherwise you will pay premium prices for those).

should bring a "LOOKBOOK" with me?
Yes. And also bring with you an ORDERBOOK and....

...PRESS CUTTINGS. Buyers will expect you have done some PR before you approach them. And of course, once your collections hit their stores you should continue your promotional activities to bring customers to buy your collections at their stores. Remember this and never forget: Your collection is sold not when you close a deal with a buyer but when your collections is sold at store level.

and how does pricing and payment go?
As you have different pricing strategies to choose from this isn't an easy question to answer. Specially if you are paying premiums for production and fabric costs and not having a focus/differentiation strategy.

In any case I'd recommend you to first focus on COSTINGS. Project your costs at different order levels you can possibly achieve (quote with several of your CMT makers and fabric suppliers to get costs above and below minimums for production and materials). Obviously, do NOT use sample costs for pricing!

For The Payment consider this:
1. Do NOT forget to sign terms and conditions
2. ALWAYS check buyer's credit and commercial references
3. Buyers will pay you accordingly to their own cash flows systems. This is a typical payment term: net 30, 5%/7. That means the total outstanding is expected to be paid in full 30 days after the collection is dispatched, or buyer gets a 5% discount if payment is done within 7 days. Expect to be paid in 45-60 days or having huge buyers asking you for up to 15% of discount
4. Finally, CHASE the invoice! This is one of the parts on running a business that irritates so much the sellers in general! But is the most rewarding...once you get paid of course!

Did you noticed how serious buyers take the payment terms? Well, YOU should too! I think this is one of the MOST important concepts to understand! The MAJORITY of designers (and small business owners in general) that fail to recognize and manage their cash flows go OUT-OF-BUSINESS in less than a year!

if a store orders some pieces from me, they pay on delivery?
See above.

and if a store buys my pieces and they sell, what happens next, do they contact me to buy more peices?
If everything went smoothly, yes! Of course, you should have the initiative to ALWAYS contact them first!

I recommend you read a book on how to start a fashion label/fashion business and/or consider having someone with a business background on your team. Don't forget to develop a business plan. Be

If you have any other question related to the topic I'll try to respond right in here.

Last edited by F0F0; 25-04-2011 at 08:06 AM.
02-09-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by *classic gal* View Post
DANCING QUEEN:

I was wondering, since you are a buyer, if you could help me? I am in the process of getting my samples made and am starting to research how to go about selling to stores. I am a bit confused about the process though, when I go do I bring just some samples, or do I need to have an inventory before I go? Also, I should bring a "look book" with me? and how does pricing and payment go? if a store orders some pieces from me, they pay on delivery? and if a store buys my pieces and they sell, what happens next, do they contact me to buy more peices? any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!

I am also in the process of starting my own clothing line and I have found a book that answers all of the questions you have mentioned and more ! "How to Set Up and Run a Fashion Label" [by Toby Meadows] I constantly go back to this book I am sure it will also help you tremendously !!

Good luck!!

05-09-2011
fashion icon

I just called a London buying office and they bit my head off. So rude! Why?

22-02-2012
tfs star

How can I find and contact with buyers all over Europe?

Thanks for helping

21-03-2012
windowshopping

How Handmade/Custom/Limited Accessories Designers Approach Boutiques
What if a buyer views your line sheet, likes what he/she sees, and decides to place an order...

How does this work with accessories that are limited edition? Do you tell the buyer there is a cap?

What if there is only one of each item/style?

It seems to me that marketing oneself globally or with larger stores/boutiques is not the the way to go if you make one-of-a-kind pieces?

Thoughts please.
Thank you kindly

21-03-2012
front row

I think you would need to be very selective about who you sell to, when generally it's the other way around (the buyers select the lines) and form a one-on-one relationship with a buyer, that way you're bouncing ideas off each other and your work in the future can cater to their clientele. So maybe start by researching some high end boutiques and then contacting them -- just my opinion though, I haven't worked with too many indie designers who do one offs.

20-05-2012
front row

There is so much helpful advice here! Thank you! I'm planning to sell my small line to buyers in a few months, and this has been a helpful read!

front row

Is there anything unprofessional about emailing retailers and asking them if they would like to buy your line from you? Cause how else would you get your own range noticed and sell it?

07-11-2013
V.I.P.

You can do that ... if you have a lookbook ready to go in digital form ... with your wholesale pricing and your order minimum/maximum orders ... so they can compare with other wholesalers that they already buy from. And invite them to view your line at your place of business (showroom, factory) or in the next trade show that you might be in.

You should be sure to do your homework first .... and find out how to reach the person who actually does the buying for the retailer. Any email to the company without knowing the name of the person will likely get ignored.

See this thread for related information about getting your name out there ... marketing: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90...ine-57241.html

Last edited by BetteT; 07-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
08-11-2013
windowshopping

Have an image or 2 in the email
I have discussed emailing look-books to buyers with many people and we've all agreed that the best is to have a couple images within the body of the email so they will be even more enticed to look at it.

02-01-2014
scenester

May I recommend a show called "all on the line" with Joe Zee, the premise is that he takes failing fashion companies and helps them get a contract with a retailer. Its a relatively entertaining show with some educational benefit, I think it would give you at least some inkling of an idea about dealing with buyers.

A few recommendations I have is to contact buying offices. To varying extents, they represent you (could assist in helping production, find contracts, show your merchandise for you, etc). Also, I highly recommend having someone with business acumen who can be impartial and level headed in negotiations, and a lawyer to review contracts and terms. Of course you should familiarize yourself with the process beforehand with books as there are many on the market.

Another recommendation that has already been mentioned is to address the email/letter to a specific person that buys for the relavent department (google and LinkedIn are your friends here).

You will have to manufacture the merchandise yourself, which means that may be more money you have to cough up before ever getting paid by the retailer. (I remember this was brought up in "All On the Line" because a designer couldn't afford to manufacture her garments).

Oh, one thing I noticed from watching the show is that a lot of designers were attached it their work and understandably so. However, you have to be remember you are still creating a good and should be flexible enough to work with the stores to edit your garments to suit their customer (raising/lowering a hem, adding a pocket, removing a seam etc).

10-06-2014
windowshopping

This is all great info! I'm wondering if anyone's used this process and sold their collections to a buyer? How did it go?

01-08-2014
windowshopping

Showrooms vs Sales Reps/ the buying calendar
Hi Everyone...

I am a new designer getting ready to launch a men's neckwear line for Fall 2015. I am looking to have my line in a showroom or hire an independent sales rep to meet with buyers.
Does anyone recommend a showroom vs road rep or vice versa?
How can I find an independent sales/road rep?
What is best for a new designer?

I would also like to know how the buying calendar works, there is a lot of conflicting information online...
When do I need to secure a showroom by (nov or dec for fall 2015)?
When do I approach buyers, before market?
Are the selling dates the same for accessories as they are apparel?

Selling dates for menswear:
S/S - May-Aug
A/W - Dec-Mar
RESORT - (?)
PRE-FALL - (?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

03-08-2014
V.I.P.

I'd just like to welcome you to the Fashion Spot!

Sorry ... I can't be of any help regarding your questions. Hopefully someone else who knows about these details might see this and shed some light on the subject.

Here is another thread, specifically about Showrooms and Sales reps .... I'm going to copy PART of your question there and maybe someone will notice it there. http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90...l#post11683349

Last edited by BetteT; 03-08-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyers or boutique, designer, line, netaporter, owners, selling, supplier