Selling my Line to Buyers/Boutique Owners - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-09-2014
fashion icon

How do I become a designer supplier for Net-A-Porter?
I've started a fashion brand after working on it for a few years and living abroad in China learning about manufacturing.

I have made sample knitwear (100% high quality cashmere). What are the steps to contacting Net-A-Porter?

How does selling to someone like Net-A-Porter work?

Do I buy the inventory and they get a percentage of the sales or vice versa?

Do I have to supply the studio photography or vice versa?

Do they sell new brands?

Would I have to go to their London office and present to one of their buyers?

Any tips from members who are buyers or former interns would be great!

12-09-2014
V.I.P.

I did some research, because this interested me. It's hard to find out how to approach them (Net a Porter), but I did find the following related information

Wikipedia: "As of September 2013, Net-a-Porter employed 2,600 people in the UK, US and Hong Kong, with further offices in Shanghai and fulfilment centres on the outskirts of three cities." That tells me that they stock your line in a huge warehouse ... and send it from there. Not sure if they buy the line first, or if the designer must stock their own shelves in that fulfillment center. It also seems to me that you would have to be able to produce a huge inventory for them on an ongoing basis ... or they would probably not be interested. It's clearly a large volume operation ... a mail order house.

Here's their London office, info, where you could inquire:

Net-A-Porter Ltd.
The Dome Whiteleys Centre
151 Queensway,
London, United Kingdom, W2 4YN

Phone: 44 1473 323032

I also found a name, which may or may not be current: Martin Bartle, Head of Buying (He's at their London office .... think there may be one in NY and Shanghai, too)

Last edited by BetteT; 12-09-2014 at 03:12 PM.
14-09-2014
windowshopping

Hello,

I am in the process of trying to sell my line to Mr. Porter, the men's branch of Net-A-Porter. I went on LinkedIn and looked for the buyers, which was easy to find, most are based in the UK. They do have offices in NY, so I would imagine there are buyers in that location as well. I would call their corporate office and see who the best person to speak with is. I would assume you'd send your look book to them via email and they would contact you if interested, as they get flooded daily with new brands. It's worth a shot! I am not ready to send mine off yet, but I would imagine this is how it's done. Have you also tried to get into a showroom?

As for the pricing, wholesale usually works like this:
your COG is $20.
you sell wholesale for $40, thus a 50% margin.
Net-A-Porter will then purchase it at $40, with a 2.0-2.3 markup. Usually between 2.2-2.3, but it's negotiable from what I've heard.
Let's say they want to add a 2.2 markup, then they would sell it for $40x2.2=$88—you need to know if your product can sell competitively at $88.
$40x2.3= $92—can you sell at this price point? Figure this out before going to a meeting with buyers.

Good luck and let me know how you make out!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
buyers or boutique, designer, line, netaporter, owners, selling, supplier