How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-01-2010
V.I.P.

I strongly recommend this documentary about modelling to everyone
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f51...try-72887.html

30-01-2010
fashion elite

im trying to start modeling (just sent out my pictures to a bunch of agencies, wish me luck) however i do have a few questions
-im in chicago right now and most of the agencies i contacted are in new york. will i have to move their right away if they sign me or how does that work
also-im 18 is that too old to start? it seems like everyone is getting younger and younger

30-01-2010
V.I.P.

No, 18 is not too old to start. Well, if they really want to contract you, they'll book you some tests in Chicago or get you to NYC. Possibilities are quite small as agencies think twice about signing up a new girl that hasn't even done test and so on unless you are Nimue Smit's and Amanda Norgaard's lovechild. Where did you all apply?

31-01-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaid View Post
im trying to start modeling (just sent out my pictures to a bunch of agencies, wish me luck) however i do have a few questions
-im in chicago right now and most of the agencies i contacted are in new york. will i have to move their right away if they sign me or how does that work
also-im 18 is that too old to start? it seems like everyone is getting younger and younger
its better for the model (psychological -wise) to start with 18 than with 14 ^^ Also so many agents place their girls younger as they actually are. So if you dont look that "old" its never to late , as long as you arent 21..
good luck though

Last edited by unknownLady; 31-01-2010 at 01:13 AM.
31-01-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by *DiamondQueen* View Post
Your agency should be the one to arrange your plans, not you Talk with them and ask them how they see your chances in NYC and when they think time is right to go there. Before going there, you should have references and worked on other markets. NYC requires a very strong book. Honestly I don't think going very quickly after Fashion Week is a good idea, FW is usually a very busy period for bookers. Lots of luck for you

Thanks! Best info that I have received in months. I am actually signed by two known boutiques in different secondary markets and neither are working me. Both have said that we will go to NYC "soon". Also I am doing test shoots. I have been told by many photogs, mua's, clients, etc that I need to be in NYC and that the agents should be doing that. I will wait until summer to see what my agents do and then try on my own.

31-01-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
No, 18 is not too old to start. Well, if they really want to contract you, they'll book you some tests in Chicago or get you to NYC. Possibilities are quite small as agencies think twice about signing up a new girl that hasn't even done test and so on unless you are Nimue Smit's and Amanda Norgaard's lovechild. Where did you all apply?
ford, click, adam, 1 model management, code, red and fusion

31-01-2010
front row

is 5'8" too short for a 19 year old?‎

31-01-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaid View Post
ford, click, adam, 1 model management, code, red and fusion
Hmmm good choices but I would advice you to apply also at
Sebastian MGMT
Truly one of best scouting agencies of the world based in NYC. Sebastian, the owner, scouts girls and placed them at seriously the best agencies in NYC. Supreme, Elite, Marilyn, Women etc.

31-01-2010
fashion elite

they dont have a guys section. thank you tho!

01-02-2010
There is only Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmodel View Post
Thanks! Best info that I have received in months. I am actually signed by two known boutiques in different secondary markets and neither are working me. Both have said that we will go to NYC "soon". Also I am doing test shoots. I have been told by many photogs, mua's, clients, etc that I need to be in NYC and that the agents should be doing that. I will wait until summer to see what my agents do and then try on my own.
You're welcome I'm happy to hear my information was helpful for you
Keep us updated with your news and whenever you have any further questions or need advice - feel free to ask! Lots of luck for your future

01-02-2010
There is only Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENG. View Post
is 5'8" too short for a 19 year old?‎
For the case you have a face that could work well in beauty shots or your look is commercial, then 5'8" is fine for commercial modelling Not for high fashion but there are some jobs in modeling which could work well for you Good luck!

01-02-2010
windowshopping

there's like 10 good model agencies here in São Paulo, would you recommend me to choose two and send pictures to them and listen to their feedback or should I just send it all at once cause each of them searches for something different?

windowshopping

plus, should I stay away from sun, even being on brazil?
i love being tanned (im not tooo tanned tho)

V.I.P.

Allpy at all agencies with a good reputation and enjoy the sun

02-02-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyface View Post
plus, should I stay away from sun, even being on brazil?
i love being tanned (im not tooo tanned tho)
actually clients and agents always tell the girls to stay away from sun no matter if you blonde or brown you have to be natural

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling