How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-02-2010
V.I.P.

True ... usually because they need you to be the same color all the time (you must match your portfolio and comp/zed card and clients hate surprises) and your skin needs to be kept flawless. Sun exposure changes your skin texture (ages it and makes it leathery with discolorations and bumps after a while), so it looses it's youthfull appearance. Skin is one of your most important tools for modeling .... work on keeping it young and healthy. Aging skin is not good and will cost you clients.

03-02-2010
front row

I'm almost 16 and 5'10". I'm not done growing.

I have been told so many times I need to be a model, so I plan to send pictures to an agency at some point. But I don't know when the right time is. Is 16 too young for a male model? And is 5'10" too short even though I'm still growing?

I live 10 hours away from New York, if I were to get signed, how would things work out?

I also have a friend (she's a girl) who is 15, nearly 5'11", and has blue eyes and blonde hair so when she's 16 i'm taking pictures of her as well and we're sending them to an agency.

Last edited by iRyan; 03-02-2010 at 01:26 AM.
03-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownLady View Post
its better for the model (psychological -wise) to start with 18 than with 14 ^^ Also so many agents place their girls younger as they actually are. So if you dont look that "old" its never to late , as long as you arent 21..
good luck though
Since when is 21 too old to be a male model JW? I think any age from 17-25 is fine for guys as many of them have had success in their mid-20s.

03-02-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
Since when is 21 too old to be a male model JW? I think any age from 17-25 is fine for guys as many of them have had success in their mid-20s.
sorry?!?! I dont mean for male models!! (18-25yrs ) I mean 21 is too old for women .. was the question about the age thing asked by a guy?? if yes .im sorry

03-02-2010
front row

I get told loooads by people that I ought to model. One thing is my skin isn't too great. It's nothing that concealer + foundation won't cover, but I hear that perfect skin is a MUST for all sorts of modelling. Should I just... wait and keep trying to get my skin better (I'm 17 now, I don't want to leave it too long!) or is it worth looking into modelling, even if my skin isn't perfect?

03-02-2010
front row

There's tons of models that don't have great skin (Jessica Stam and Laura Blokhina) for example, so as long as everything else is good it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm sure your agency would help you get rid of it by giving you good products and tips to use.

03-02-2010
front row

Good skin is a must for a model!! Occasional blemishes are one thing but any major acne or skin issues should be addressed. Time is money and photoshop costs both! The digitals at agencies are without makeup so concealer won't help you with that. Now, I can't say whether the issues you have are anything major but you will definitely want to take steps to correct your skin if you want to model.

fashion elite

well i got a message back from click today and they said no, but im not giving up hope!

04-02-2010
trendsetter

^^Yes, dont give up man! Just keep trying, and applying yourself. You'll get an agency eventually

Im going on my first open call tomorrow! Wish me luck everyone lol

04-02-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownLady View Post
sorry?!?! I dont mean for male models!! (18-25yrs ) I mean 21 is too old for women .. was the question about the age thing asked by a guy?? if yes .im sorry
21 is not too old for a girl to model.

04-02-2010
fashion insider

international agencies dont accept girls over 18 as a " new face" they accept them as an unknown model^^ ofcourse you can start if you are 21 (or 22) and sign in with an agency. But its harder for the motheragent to place a girl who is over 21^^ ( i know it from my own agent btw^^) also you will need a lot time to get a strong book

Im not saying you CANT start with 21 I just said its harder !!

Last edited by unknownLady; 04-02-2010 at 02:00 PM.
04-02-2010
V.I.P.

Of course it would be more difficult as a new face, but saying 21 is too old for a girl to start modeling is nonsense. No one is saying that the 21 year old girl (or her potential agency) is trying to make her into an overnight success but you can still get signed.

04-02-2010
trendsetter

Wich is the diferense between a "new face" and an "unknown model"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Louie V View Post
Im going on my first open call tomorrow! Wish me luck everyone lol
Good luck

04-02-2010
trendsetter

^^Thank you!!

But unfortunately i got rejected by Nous Model Management. Im NOT giving up, you know what they say..."When one door closes, another opens.." So i'll be going to more open calls pretty soon

04-02-2010
trendsetter

^^IMO 15 isn't too young***edited***. But with that said i still think you should go for it and pursue modeling. You can do your research, make a list and start going to some open calls. When going to open calls you are going to need some pictures with you, and also your stats (height, weight, etc.). Some agencies also let you apply online, but open calls are great because in some cases you get an immediate answer. Whatever you decide, goodluck man!

Last edited by BetteT; 05-02-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling