How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2010
V.I.P.

It's a bit of a problem, but it all depends on and the nature of the mark and where they are. Anything that is flat ... can be covered by makeup easily. If the scars leave bumps or ridges ... makeup cannot conceal that, so they would have have to bring in a retoucher, too.

Remember, fashion is a business and time is money. So if the makeup artist needs to spend an extra 20 or 30 minutes on a model to make her skin look good, then that model is costing the client money. And if a retoucher has to be added on top of that ... they add another layer of expense. So your value as a model goes down proportionally as the expense goes up.

So ... all I can say is ... it always depends on what kind of scars, where they are and how much work it takes to cover them up. Same goes for tatoos, piercings, etc.

07-03-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Yeah ... I understand that it's something an agent hears time and again. And many do have a canned answer because it gets old in a hurry ... something like what cologne says.

I would say if someone just turns away and doesn't express any interest at all ... then it probably would not be a good person to ask. You have to judge thier tolerance by how interested they are in you.

But ... if someone shows some interest, but then nothing happens ... that might just be the right person to ask why they changed their mind ... since you already have a dialog going with them.

Looking at it from the models' viewpoint: if they aren't going to rep you anyway ... what difference does it make if they don't want to hear the question? It wont impact your career if they think "Oh no ... here's that question, again!". Information is important and you will never get any answers if you don't ask. Keep that in mind.

Every now and then an agent will take just a moment to give you a little gem and tells you the truth ... which can be very hard to hear. But you need to hear it ... so you know how to proceed. It can help you decide if you are really model material or not. If you are almost there, but need to take care of something, like your skin, wouldn't if be helpful if you knew?

Also, this sort of information might help you understand your market (the types of clients who would even use you) and maybe you are just at the wrong agency. Maybe you are a bit more "commercial" and not suited to fashion ... but do have the right "type" to model in commercial agencies. Or maybe they will tell you have a great look for fashion, but they have another model with your type, so the timing is just bad. So you know that you can check back with them every 3 to 6 months just in case their book changes. Or ... if they all just keep saying the same thing, time after time "You are not what we are looking for" ... they you can eventually understand that you don't have a stong modeling look.

Good or bad ... you need to learn about your potential ... if any.
Wow....that is EXACTLY how aspiring models feel. I can say even though I had that bad experience with one agent. Another agent at (Request) was EXTREMELY helpful and honest with me...he helped me understand some of the basics and things I should consider working on if I wanted to have anyone represent me. It was eye opening and he even asked me to come back and check with them. I know it's not the agent's job to do one on one evaluations lol...but it does help if they give the model some type of HONEST feedback. Some of us see others who look like ourselves and that gives you the motivation to seek representation. Some just believe they have it even if they don't have a look or measurements...but it DOES help if we hear the truth. Only then can the model know the next step...

11-03-2010
windowshopping

Many models are not prepared to hear the truth though, and it's good to be straight and direct sometimes .... but I guess it's not worth the risk of starting a drama session for many...

windowshopping

I'm so excited to become a part of this thread! I've always wanted to be a model (ever since I was a little girl in second grade when ANTM first came out). I've always been told I should be a model but never knew where to start. This thread is so helpful!!

Now, I have a question: I got braces rather late... and I won't get them off for about 2 years. (by then i'll be 18 and on the older end for starting models, correct?) Do agencies care if you have braces? (I'm guessing yes). If you go to an agency for an open call will they automatically deny me? if I get a job I could get my braces off, then back on. But you don't really smile when modeling, at least for high fashion right?
JW if anyone has any experience or ideas about modeling with braces? Etc.

windowshopping

^I want to edit, my god do I feel stupid. I decided to read this thread from the begining, but post this question to get an answer sooner than later. Then I come across the page, RIGHT BEFORE THIS, and the question is asked. LOL

So I have no hope with braces?

trendsetter

^^Lol yea i asked the same thing lol

But from my understanding, braces are really frowned upon in this industry. From high fashion to commercial modeling. My advice would be to just to pursue modeling once the braces are off. But whatever you decide, i wish you luck! And maybe someone else can chime in on this and give advice

17-03-2010
V.I.P.

Yeah ... the only time they would want a model with braces is if they were looking for someone with braces (and that won't happen very often, if at all).

Yes... you don't smile much in high fashion, but sometimes you do. And sometimes, although you don't smile, you must open your mouth some and they are still visible. And even with the mouth fully closed ... sometimes you still can tell.

The problem with having them removed for gigs ... is that you have to go to casting calls all the time, usually with less than 24 hours notice. You go to tons of casting calls before you ever get one gig. And a client won't want to take a chance on hiring you, if they can't see your teeth to be sure they are perfect without braces. They won't wait for you to come back after you get them off to see what you look like ... they'll just move on to the next model in line. So ... and agency won't be interested in you until your teeth are ready.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-03-2010 at 04:32 PM.
17-03-2010
windowshopping

Thanks for your help! By the time I get my braces off I'll be just about ready to head off to college, and the chances of me convincing my mom to let me be a model will be even less.

trendsetter

Hey everyone. So for the past month i've been buckling down and really working on getting myself together to go on some open calls. By working on myself i mean, VERY strict diet/counting calories, working out constantly(Though I already was in great shape), making sure my skin stays looking great, etc. I planned on going to some open calls Mid - April...my question is should i wait till then or go as soon as i can? Is there really a good "time" to go to open calls (certain time of the year)? Also, what should i do for photos...should i get pro headshots done or have a family member take a couple of pics? Im really anxious/excited and cant wait to go....i feel I will be better prepared than when i went for the first time

23-03-2010
V.I.P.

I don't know a lot about timing ... but I see you are in L.A. ... so now is as good as any, since we have no major fashion week anymore ... so they don't gear up for that. As far as when a lot of the photoshoots happen ... well, they are about to shoot for fall right now, so you might be a bit late for this season but could have a partially developed portfolio by fall, when they start to shoot for the following spring.

Do not have pro photos taken yet. Do not waste your money until you get repped. Then your agent will refer you to togs who can shoot you they way the agency want's to present you. "Headshots" are for commercial models and actors not for fashion ... so they might not even be what you need, unless you are repped for that. Save your money until you are directed to start testing.

What you take to open calls is a few snapshots, taken in good light, but not direct sunlight nor by flash. Either outside in open shade or inside during the day near windows. It's much more flattering. Make sure that the background is plain. As a guy, include one with your shirt off and at least one with your shirt on. Include a close up to show your hair and skin and a longer shot, so they can see your body. Write your name, stats and contact info on the back of each photo.

Last edited by BetteT; 24-03-2010 at 02:01 PM.
23-03-2010
trendsetter

Wow thanks for the info BetteT!!

25-03-2010
windowshopping

Hey everyone! Sorry if this is long, but I just got back from NYC for agency visits! I went to 8 agencies - pics taken by all but 1 (so that's a no). Upon arriving home, I had 2 more rejects. I think they were very nice about that also. Well I'm waiting to hear from the other 5 and hoping for 1 in particular. I thought all the agencies were very nice, took time to speak to me and asking various questions about my plans. There collective opinion of my book was that it was awful. The book was great for my current location but for NY - terrible. I expected that for that reason. I was never asked to walk because they are getting ready for shoot season. They were more concerned about my ability to pose. Which I need to work on somewhat. My advice to anyone getting ready to go for the calls - take some natural, no makeup pics of head (both sides), half body (all 4 sides), and full length (all 4 sides). Put them all on one sheet with your info (measurements and contact). Take that and give to the agents, I did so and had a great responce to it. Good Luck!

26-03-2010
trendsetter

^^Wow, thanks!! And goodluck on the remaining 5 agencies!!

Cant wait to go out on open calls

08-04-2010
rising star

Hello everyone, how exactly do scouts work? I'll keep the question general just for the variety of answers, and I'm asking because some lady said she is a wardrobe stylist but she scouts too etc. Of course I'm kinda iffy on it cuz she's a stranger. She didn't go all crazy over the way I look, she just asked if i'd considered modeling in a bigger market, like la/ny. She didn't ask for money she was like tone up in various areas.

I left a little out but she talked about stuff that I read up on, so throw the answers my way.

Last edited by tgeezyband; 08-04-2010 at 11:09 PM.
09-04-2010
V.I.P.

A good scout does always work the same plain way: Discovers xxxx, asks xxxx for snaps/polaroids, introduces xxxx to agencies. That's it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling