How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsea View Post
it would be interesting to know which models (if any) sent pictures out the old-fashioned way and were rejected by the majority of the ny agencies, and then one took them on and they became a huge hit.

it is not just for the girls who apply by themselves.
u might be very very surprise that it happens like that for a big proportion of girls. Even in girls i know directly who has or who work on top, they were never wanted by "all" agencies, and for some of them to find just 1 good agency was not that quick.
of course just after few good jobs, there is suddenly big interest from agencies, but when the girl has zero experience and still stuff to improve to look at her best, even the the scouting team of the biggest agencies has big miss almost every month...

11-04-2010
front row

i see.
this is somewhat encouraging

19-04-2010
tfs star

LAtimes interview with Lauren Hutton (she's promoting a movie) mentions her modeling ethics.

latimes

Quote:
In various ways, your career has been about marketing as a model and as a businesswoman. Has your approach to marketing evolved over the years?

It evolved in the beginning. I'm the only model I know of who refused to do cigarettes, even though I was a user. Virginia Slims wanted me to be their first model because I was a big deal, and I refused to do it.

How come?

I'm a user, but I'm not a pusher. Those are two different things. And it was very easy to see that this was aimed at young girls. I might as well be a kingpin in Mexico. The biggest drug- lords in the world were the tobacco people.

One of the scariest things was the first Vogue collection I had. This was the mid- to late '60s, and I got to go to Paris for the first time with [photographer Irving] Penn to do the collections for Vogue. They asked me to do a leopard-skin coat. And I remember my heart going up and down to my feet, and I realized I couldn't possibly put that on. Even if I hadn't already been to Africa two times I knew what a leopard was and how rare they were. I said to [editor] Polly [Mellen], "I can't do this." And she sort of puffed up.

First Polly told Penn. And I'm cowering back there. Actually I was starting to get some of my stuff together, because I figured I was going to be on my way back to New York. Because you don't say no to them, especially when it's your first collection and you're a little beginning model. And Penn said, "That makes sense. I won't shoot no matter who you put it on."

So anything I wouldn't do myself or use myself as a model, even when I was a little young model, I wouldn't do.

The only thing I've done that I wasn't proud of doing was Slim Fast. But I did lose 10 pounds with it. I had gotten up to 140, which is huge for someone who spent all their life at 116. But you can only do it as a crash diet.

At any rate, it's definitely out of hand. I often think it's like open season on the American public at all times. Shoot the U.S. consumer any way you can. . . . I think the world's on fire. I haven't slept in 10 years.

I wanted to ask you about posing for Big. How did that come about?

You mean why did I do nudes? I had never really done it. All your career you get asked by Playboy and by this and that, so I never did any of that stuff. I had young sisters, and I didn't think it was good for them in school to have a nude sister. I didn't want people looking at me going down the street and making me more of a mark than I already was.

But then by the time I was 61, I thought it would be good then because I was in good shape, and I wanted to show them what a 61-year-old looked like. Without fake this and sucked out that. All you have to do is just take care of yourself.

What kind of response did you get?

My goddaughters liked it. I guess I got a good response. Big was a strange magazine. It must be sold in Europe. It only comes out four times a year, and the whole issue will be on one subject. Like Brancusi or San Francisco.

19-04-2010
windowshopping

I feel like I'm about to ask the dumbest questions ever. but anyways,

Is there any point to applying to an agency that isn't in your vicinity? I would love to sign with a good agency in NY or LA but I live in San Francisco.

Also, what is the outlook for models with large boobs? ***Edited*** I feel like most models I see are flat chested or A-B cup and frequently go braless.
Thanks

Last edited by BetteT; 20-04-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: See post #1 for thread rules ... no personal stats.
19-04-2010
front row

hopefully this isn't a silly question, but I was wondering...if I wanted to get into modelling but concentrate on lingerie or swimsuit modelling, how would I go about that? I'm not interested in high fashion modelling, but I guess I was just wondering if it would then fall under the "commercial" category. if so, would I go to agencies and simply tell them thats what im interested in? could I still go to open calls?

20-04-2010
front row

I have a few questions about starting a career in (mainly) commercial modelling.
I've been scouted by some agencies which mainly offer their models commercial jobs, but all of them ask me to send in pictures which they can put up on their site and to promote me with.
But this is where I start wondering..

I know a fashion agency should help you build up your portfolio, but is this also the case with commercial agencies?
I really want to know the answer to that, before I sign myself with a 'bad' agency. So I hope someone can help me, and tell me some more about the whole commercial career/agencies and stuff.
Thanks in advance

ps. sorry bad english

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbstar View Post
I feel like I'm about to ask the dumbest questions ever. but anyways,

Is there any point to applying to an agency that isn't in your vicinity? I would love to sign with a good agency in NY or LA but I live in San Francisco.

Also, what is the outlook for models with large boobs? ***Edited*** I feel like most models I see are flat chested or A-B cup and frequently go braless.
Thanks
Start in your own city ... you have to be a bit experienced and have a strong portfolio, before anyone will hire you to come to their city to shoot.

Fashion models must be about 33 or 34 " total (around the fullest part of the bust) ... so, no ... larger breasts are not suitable for fashion modleing. But it might work in commercial modeling if everything else works and yo are the right "type" that a commercial agency is looking for. There is always product modeling ... where they use pretty girls at shows and conventions to give out samples, to stand in front of a car, etc.

20-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowGirl View Post
hopefully this isn't a silly question, but I was wondering...if I wanted to get into modelling but concentrate on lingerie or swimsuit modelling, how would I go about that? I'm not interested in high fashion modelling, but I guess I was just wondering if it would then fall under the "commercial" category. if so, would I go to agencies and simply tell them thats what im interested in? could I still go to open calls?
It would fall under the "commercial" category ... find agencies that do that ... commercial/talent agencies. Ask them how to submit and if they have open calls.

20-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresor View Post
I have a few questions about starting a career in (mainly) commercial modelling.
I've been scouted by some agencies which mainly offer their models commercial jobs, but all of them ask me to send in pictures which they can put up on their site and to promote me with.
But this is where I start wondering..

I know a fashion agency should help you build up your portfolio, but is this also the case with commercial agencies?
I really want to know the answer to that, before I sign myself with a 'bad' agency. So I hope someone can help me, and tell me some more about the whole commercial career/agencies and stuff.
Thanks in advance

ps. sorry bad english
You do not show where you live, but if you live in Paris ... I am not sure how they work there.

In the US ... commercial agencies work pretty much the same way as fashion agencies ... they do work with the model to develop their portfolio and send it out to prospective clients. Most agencies do have a web site that the clients can see with all the models. But the agency usually guides the model ... sends them to a photographer they like and tells them what kinds of looks to get. Then the agent criitiques the pics and selects the best to put into the portfolio and on the site.

So ... my instinct says that these agencies that are "soliciting" you may just be scams. If they ask you for money in order to rep you ... they probably are a scam. That happens here, all the time ... they send "scouts' out to approach people in the streets, tell them that they can be a model and that it will only cost them a certain amount of money to have thier picture put up on the site. And they say that all the companies that hire will look there. Yes, you get your picture up on a site ... but the "agency" has no clients and don't actively promote their models. And they will accept anyone that has the money ... they don't discrimintate. Which means they don't work with real models ... only apsiring models who have money to spend.

I would suggest that you go to open calls at agencies in your city that you know are legitimate and see what they say. If they want you ... then you know it's real. If no one takes you after doing this a lot of times, then you know that you really don't have what it takes ... maybe the people approaching you were just trying to get your money.

It is good you asked ... it's one of the most common scams anywhere ... taking aspiring models' money for nothing. If they do not ask for money ... then maybe they are OK. But, either way, you need to do more reseach on that agency before you decide ... look them up on line, ask people if they know who they are, go to some of the modeling scam sites (you can find them by seaching on Google) to see if anyone has mentioned them, if they have something like the Better Business Bureau, check with them, too.

Last edited by BetteT; 20-04-2010 at 02:23 PM.
20-04-2010
V.I.P.

I thought it would be a good time to post some sources of information about modeling scams:

http://www.modelingscams.org/find.html

And here's a good site by a former commercial modeling agent that and a lot of his accurate information applies to commercial modeling:

http://www.newmodels.com/

Newmodels is written by Roger Talley, who also wrote our glossary of modeling terms: click this link for the Glossary:

Last edited by BetteT; 20-04-2010 at 02:21 PM.
21-04-2010
front row

Thanks a lot for the information, BetteT!
But actually I'm not from the US nor Paris. I'm from the Netherlands.

The first link you gave me said it's alright to pay a photographer as long as you don't have to pay you agency, is this correct?

Because the agency is not asking me for money at all, they just want me to send them my own pictures which they then can use.

This is a link to the agency:
http://www.internationalmodelmanagement.nl/

I know they won't create TOPmodels, but I just want a job regularly.
And since I'm already 20, I just really want to get started!
But not at the wrong agency..

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new at this and don't want to ruin my rep before I even have one

trendsetter

Tresor, I'm from the Netherlands too, that agency is not comparible to big agencies like Paparazzi/Ulla/Name/Touche/Wilma Wakker/De Boekers/Micha/Tjarda etc... I wouldn't do it.
Send your pictures to the ones I mentioned above and you will know if they are interested. There are a lot of agencies in the Netherlands..

21-04-2010
V.I.P.

I confirm what MikChick says, Netherland is such a big market for scouting, try all these agencies:

Fresh Management Amsterdam

Code Model Management Amsterdam

House of Holland

Ragazza Model Management

Ulla Models (have also a commercial devision)

Paparazzi

Wilma Wakker

Micha Models

Tjarda

SPS Models

21-04-2010
V.I.P.

It is correct that you normally should pay the photographer directly ... real agencies don't have photographers on staff so paying them is a big red flag.

A legit agency ... such as those listed above .... will only need to see snapshots of you. If they decide to rep you, then they will direct you to get some photos done, probably recommend a photographer or two and instruct you as to what sort of looks you willl need to start your portfolio.

It's never a good idea to have pro pics taken before you have an agent ... because 9 times out of 10, they won't like them and will tell you to test again. So, save your money until you are certain that you have a legit agent lined up who will direct your career.

Last edited by BetteT; 21-04-2010 at 01:41 PM.
21-04-2010
V.I.P.

I took a look at that agency site and although they look impressive, I get the feeling that there is something wrong there for the following reasons:

- Our members who know these things, don't seem to recommend them
- They have pics of a beautiful office and say they have a photo studio. An agency does not have photo studios ... at least in the US. I think that they may be a photography studio and production management company that has decided to rep some models or maybe just has pics of models for thier clients to peruse. But that tells me that they are not really a model agency ... it's just a sideline. (Maybe this is how it's usually done in Amsterdam .... so maybe I am wrong here.)
- They provide coaches and personal trainers! That tells me that they will offer coaching for you ... for money, of course. Red flag!! (It's like a modeling school, which I never recommend, anyway.)
- They offer portfolio shoots ... again, making a profit from you ... not working to earn a commission for work they find you.
- They don't show any of their models in ads or magazines .... a couple have runway shots but that's it. And if the model picked her own shots to put up, then I would guess that the models did not get the gig from these people .... they had already gotten the gig by some other means.
- They say they are starting a marketing campaign at "dutch labels" ... but they fail to name them. And, anyway ... it could be that a Dutch label is using their studio or production services ... not their models.

An agency should only make money from the commission earned when their models get paid for working. The model is not supposed to be a paying customer.

I'd think twice about these people. I'd only send them a picture if they don't charge your for it ... and don't fall prey to any coaching if is costs you any money. And don't sign a contract with them ... you still want to keep your options open, if you find that a real modeling agency wants to rep you. If you are under contract with these people ... you probably won't be able to sign with anyone else until the contract is up (read the fine print in any contract and make sure you understand it all).

Last edited by BetteT; 21-04-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read