How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2010
front row

Thank you very much betteT! You've been very helpfull!
I made up my mind; I'm not gonna sign with them at all.
It's just not right to sign myself with an (wannabe?) agency which makes me question their capability of representing me.'
I'm a starting model, so agencies like that could kill my rep.

cologne_rocks and MikChick, thanks a lot for the list of agencies + info

27-04-2010
V.I.P.

^One thing you may want to do is check out a site like modelmayhem.com, it is a repository of models, photographers, makeup artists and hairdressers. I think it is mostly US, but I think it has members from all over the world - you can click on "browse" do a search for your country. One way that it may be useful to you is that there are photographers (or hairdressers, makeup artists, etc.) who, if interested in you, will take pictures of you for free and you get a copy of the prints as compensation, often referred to as TFP. Once you start to accumulate pictures, you may also opt to create your own account.

I don't think that it is going to help you get discovered or signed, but it may help you get experience being in front of the camera and with the overall process - although I have heard of opportunities coming from it, still I would not consider it a guarantee. You should definitely be researching the agencies listed a few posts ago, I would go to their sites and see if any of them have open calls.

Also, recognize that this is the internet and that anybody can post anything, so don't agree meet anyone in a non-public place, and even if you are willing to do nudes I would not suggest doing nudes with a photographer that I just met. If a photo shoot comes about, consider taking a friend. Note that some legitimate photographers may not like this, you have to do research and use your judgment, it is not difficult to find out about a photographer once you have a name. Try to find out things like if the photographer is represented by a reputable agency, what work has s/he done before, have they had work published - you don't want to be too picky, but you also don't want put yourself in an uncomfortable situation either.

Last edited by agee; 27-04-2010 at 03:10 PM.
27-04-2010
trendsetter

I agree with agee about modelmayhem!

I joined modelmayhem too and I got the opportunity to work with a great photographer and I got a great picture out of it And maybe there's a photographer who wants to help you with finding an agency.

27-04-2010
V.I.P.

Eh ... although there are a few legit photogs, stylists and makeup artists on modelmayehm, I'd be very, very cautious. Most of them are just wannabes .... so don't think that it will get you "discovered".

It definitely is a way to get camera time to get comfortable, to learn your best angles and how to pose ... but most of the time the pics won't be good enough for your agency portfolio. It will be practice, but not much more than that ... unless you get very lucky.

And yes, as suggested, you could be in physical danger so protect yourself by researching the individual, maybe meeting him first, taking a friend (who should sit quietly in the lobby, not in the studio, unless invited in).

Do not do any nudes or "glamour" shots, if you intend to be a fashion or commercial model. Images like that could loose you your agency and their clients ... cost you your potential career. They will not be happy if they find such pics out there ... it smacks of being a "web model", girls who work for money to pose for "photographers". If you have shot with any photographers (especially ones who posts thier stuff on places like modelmayhem), be aware that they own the images, not you ... and they may use them any way they want to. So, they can end up in some very nasty places. So protect your image ... never do anything that might upset a potential agent and that you would not be proud to show your mother.

Last edited by BetteT; 27-04-2010 at 06:27 PM.
28-04-2010
trendsetter

True, there is a lot of crap on modelmayhem, but there really are some good ones too. (look at my display picture, it's through modelmayhem )

28-04-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Eh ... although there are a few legit photogs, stylists and makeup artists on modelmayehm, I'd be very, very cautious. Most of them are just wannabes .... so don't think that it will get you "discovered".
)
i would also definiltly clearly advise against modelmahyem, it is probably the crappiest modelling site on the whole web, and one good experience from it can no hyde the fact that it is overall of very very low level.

it is a site for amateur model meeting amateur photographers, but it is clearly a place to go only if you know that better level is not for you.

28-04-2010
front row

i have an agency interview on friday!
if model_mom is around or other experienced models i would love some tips and questions i should expect to be asked?

28-04-2010
V.I.P.

^^ It's a thing to be dealt in like 5-10 minutes, you come in, introduce yourself, they tell you a bit about the agency (usually some self-praise), ask you some random things like age, school and so on; a bit small talk, take a set of polaroids, or nowadays, rather snap shots, then they send you home and tell you that they'll call you/write an email later..... That's it.... Not exciting at all.... :p

28-04-2010
front row

ahh except this time they have called me and my mother agent in.. is that normal?

28-04-2010
V.I.P.

oh sorry, i thought you're talking about an interview with a potential mother agent but will be quite the same as meeting with a potential mother agent:p

Last edited by cologne_rocks; 28-04-2010 at 08:11 AM.
28-04-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
i would also definiltly clearly advise against modelmahyem, it is probably the crappiest modelling site on the whole web, and one good experience from it can no hyde the fact that it is overall of very very low level.

it is a site for amateur model meeting amateur photographers, but it is clearly a place to go only if you know that better level is not for you.
My point about modelmayhem is that it is a means to get experience. Also, note that people can make comments and some have commented about bad experiences, especially photographers who are not the real deal. I was clear, or at least I thought I was, that an aspiring model should not see this as the means to get discovered or as the cornerstone of modeling career.

If anyone can go to an open call or send in Poloroid type pictures and get a response from a bunch of agencies which leads to them getting signed, then they don't need to go this route. However, if a model is looking for a way to get experience and build her book, without shelling out money herself, then this is a consideration. As BetteT said, be careful about the work that you do and don't do anything that you would not be proud to show your mother. If you want to mitigate the chance that you will get sucked into doing a glamour shots, then you may want to focus more on shoots being commissioned by makeup artists and hairdressers, since that will most likely be beauty type work. Also, if a photographer takes a picture of you that will not help you get the kind of attention you are seeking, then don't put it in your book. My mantra is do your homework and use good judgement.

Last edited by agee; 28-04-2010 at 08:57 AM.
30-04-2010
windowshopping

Hey girls, wondering if any of you had advice or could help,
I live in a city with virtually no agencies and the ones that we have are very small. I have some friends who are 'with them' and they don't get much work, if they are lucky maybe something local. But the agencies themselves are not big enough to offer much.
So what would be advised? Just sending head and body shots to the bigger agencies in Australia, is that the first step? Thank you.

30-04-2010
V.I.P.

Send them to bigger agencies, if they refuse, try at the local ones, good luck!

01-05-2010
windowshopping

Thank you, they don't have to be professional do they, just no make up shots?
any tips?

01-05-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post

That's not totally true, I know quite a few (good!) agency-signed models who joined modelmayhem to do some free work or networking next to what the agency offers.
And of course 99% is crap, amateur or nude, but there really are some good ones too. You don't have to expect major things but surely some nice things, cause I've seen it happen. I'm talking about the Netherlands right now, as I don't know about other countries.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read