How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-09-2009
V.I.P.

Moderators Note:

This is part 2 of the "So You Want to be a Model?" thread. I have copied a few posts over from the previous thread, in casy you want to add comments on the previous conversation. The other thread has been closed ... but if you want to read the previous posts (lots of good information in there), there is a link above, in post #1.

13-09-2009
rising star

It is a difficult decision and balancing act between school and modeling for a young model. If you decide on schooling - then you are risking the modeling opportunity and timing factor which is critical. If you decide on modeling then you can take away the social aspect of schooling which is important for a teenage girl as well as the continuity of education. None of this is set in stone and each person has to make their own decision with the support of their parent(s) and modeling agency.

windowshopping

How does one go about submitting pictures online to agencies? Would it be more beneficial nowadays to send pics in through actual snail mail or is email more convenient?

14-09-2009
trendsetter

I think it doesn't matter. If they see your pics and they like you, they will contact.

14-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEITALL View Post
If you decide on modeling then you can take away the social aspect of schooling which is important for a teenage girl as well as the continuity of education.
I dont agree at all with that part.
a 16 years old girls travelling the world and woking in fashion, will grew up much faster (including socialy) than a 16 years old school girl for who life exerience is just parent/school/friends/familly hollyday...

yes for sure some girls doing modeling can fall into mistakes easily, but for girls who manage it will, modeling can bring life oportunities than a normal teenage school girl will never have...

14-09-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello pictures View Post
How does one go about submitting pictures online to agencies? Would it be more beneficial nowadays to send pics in through actual snail mail or is email more convenient?
Well there's a difference ... if you send them via email, they'll you pictures in a digital format. If you send them via mail, they'll see them in paper. I'd send them via mail, despite the fact it doesn't really matter that much anyway.

15-09-2009
rising star

With any decision there is something that is given up.... with modeling it usually takes a girl away from home and school. My daughter was fortunately able to balance both. She traveled internationally and worked some great jobs. We lived within a relatively short distance of NYC. It was our decision from the beginning not to stop schooling - for her it was the best. For other girls there is no choice. There are no regrets.... she worked 4 years and is now a full time college student - no longer modeling.

front row

What makes a male model? I know I should know something like this, but I have never really looked into. I'm curious because I know someone ***Edited ... please do not post stats ... see thread rules. *** and I think he has potential. Please help me out here and thanks in advance.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-09-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Please see thread rules in Post #1
16-09-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statonscarlet View Post
What makes a male model? I know I should know something like this, but I have never really looked into. I'm curious because I know someone *** Edited *** and I think he has potential. Please help me out here and thanks in advance.
Tell him to take photos of himself and send them to an agency and then you will see if he has what it takes or not.
Male models need to work out at the gym very much, that's something that's really necessary, they have to be muscled, have a toned body. Same thing doesn't really happen to female models, they don't need to work out that much.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-09-2009 at 01:54 PM.
17-09-2009
rising star

hey
I have been in NYC during my hollidays break. I was visiting some agencies (3) in my free time. Everybody there seems to be very interested in me and one scout from one of the best agency there ask me to come in August etc. they told me that they are going to talk with my mother agency and so on... It's that possible that they just deny or change theirs mind? I was asking my agency before the August if they had some answeres but they said me that nobody write ...
For me it's really strange ;/

V.I.P.

They may have changed their minds or just forgotton. I would have your mother agency contact them directly ... again ... to see if there is still any interest.

18-09-2009
rising star

Arven,

do what Bette saied... or try to contact the agency in NY and just ask if they are still interested.

20-09-2009
front row

Another question about male models. What's the best agency for male's to go with for strictly runway?

22-09-2009
tfs star

I have a friend who has been scouted a few times but never wanted to model.

She is now 23, and has decided to try modelling, but she tells me she is going to say she is 21.

Is this good idea? I am of the opinion that while 23 isn't ideal, if she has the look the agency desires, they will sign her regardless, and THEN possibly lie about her age themselves (as I understand this has happened with Agyness and Anna Selezneva).

Should she lie? Or rather, EMBELLISH, to get her foot in the door?...

ETA: I would say she looks 18/19 at the oldest... she is forever being asked for ID when we are out... !

22-09-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
I have a friend who has been scouted a few times but never wanted to model.

She is now 23, and has decided to try modelling, but she tells me she is going to say she is 21.

Is this good idea? I am of the opinion that while 23 isn't ideal, if she has the look the agency desires, they will sign her regardless, and THEN possibly lie about her age themselves (as I understand this has happened with Agyness and Anna Selezneva).

Should she lie? Or rather, EMBELLISH, to get her foot in the door?...

ETA: I would say she looks 18/19 at the oldest... she is forever being asked for ID when we are out... !
This is pretty funny. Let's suppose that she goes to the agency and lies about age and they like her and she's great and she signs with them, doesn't she has to show her ID to sign with them, eventually take a copy of her ID for the agencies files ?
The agency then can lie about her age but there's no way she can ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statonscarlet View Post
Another question about male models. What's the best agency for male's to go with for strictly runway?
There's no such thing as agencies specialized in runway models.

Last edited by Filipe; 22-09-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling