How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-06-2010
windowshopping

Thanks BetteT

I would be be paying a recommended photographer. They said to do extra and commercial I don't need any training, but if i wanted cat walk work I would need to learn how to walk properly, they don't do classes. Is that right tho? Or are the agencies meant to teach you how to walk?

04-06-2010
V.I.P.

Well, a serious model management company would definitely teach you from first hand how to walk. It's not like they would spend hours with you to teach you walking, but they'd definitely have an eye on you.

08-06-2010
backstage pass

I wonder if anyone has heard of this agency: www.modelsmgmt.co.uk ?

08-06-2010
V.I.P.

^Yes, weak agency working on a low catalogue level. As they are based in London i guess they do also London's showrooms, which is quite nice payment but gets boring after the second day.

Do you need advice for London based agencies?

09-06-2010
backstage pass

is COACD an agency, or do they cast people for agencies?

V.I.P.

COACD is rather a quite well-known casting agency (although they work on quite a low level). They're casting directors and thus pick models from agencies for shows, editorials, campaigns and catalogues of their customers.

09-06-2010
Tobias Funke

^
I wonder why they work on a lower level given the fact that they are so popular.

NeverNude
09-06-2010
V.I.P.

Well, COACD is quite new and it's very hard to gain a foothold in the casting industry since casting directors are dispensable - fashion houses can live without them because basically either photographers & stylists or the designers themselves decide which models to book via so called in-house castings. COACD is online quite popular, but given the fact that most huge casting directors like Michelle Lee, Russel Marsh, Kannon Rajah backing up Karl Lagerfeld or Burberry's very own Barbara Nicoli do not even have a website shows that online popularity doesn't matter for a good casting. I wouldn't be suprised if agencies just send their girls to COACD due to their brilliant polaroids as a kind of promotion and finally reject COACD job-requests for models

As for me saying they're no model agency - they do scout models as far as i know but do not really represent them.

09-06-2010
backstage pass

thanks alot for the info cologne rocks

rising star

Hey guys, I have a quick question.

I'm 20, and moving to Sydney (Australia) next week so I'm considering looking in to some modelling work. I've done a few jobs before, one professional for a well known hairdressing salon for a competition (full length, not just for the hair cut) and also just for friends, and I've been asked a fair few times over the years.

*** Edited*** Please read thread rules in post #1.

Should I give it a go? And how do I go about going into agencies? Do I need to take anything or will they just look at me and decide?

Last edited by BetteT; 22-06-2010 at 01:12 PM.
22-06-2010
V.I.P.

Height & Measurements sound pretty good and your age is okay as well! For what it's worth, i don't think that being 20-22 can be such a harm, agencies will make you younger finally, anyway. Did you already consider which agencies to walk in or do you need some advice?

22-06-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehundred View Post
Should I give it a go? And how do I go about going into agencies? Do I need to take anything or will they just look at me and decide?
Go for it! 20 is definitely not too old as long as you're in good shape and ready to work. Many agencies prefer working with older girls who usually have better confidence and sense of self than very young girls, so think of it as a positive thing instead of a drawback. And nope, you don't need to bring anything as far as photos go, but you should bring or wear heels and bring a bikini. Good luck!

22-06-2010
rising star

Thanks guys. I've considered the big one's here - Chadwick's, Viviens's, but if anyone has suggestions for a few others that would be great. I figure I might as well try my luck with a few while I'm at it.

PS. Sorry BetteT - I totally blanked on the rules and should have realised not to include measurements!

V.I.P.

No problem ... mistakes happen!

22-06-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehundred View Post
Thanks guys. I've considered the big one's here - Chadwick's, Viviens's, but if anyone has suggestions for a few others that would be great. I figure I might as well try my luck with a few while I'm at it.

PS. Sorry BetteT - I totally blanked on the rules and should have realised not to include measurements!

Yes, Chadwick's and Vivien's sounds quite good, definitely worth a try there!

One further agency that i can tottally recomment is Priscillas Model Management Sydney - They work both commercially and editorially, and have launched quite some decent careers until now; Alice Burdeu, Julia Nobis, Emily Wake, Lauren Brown, Stephanie Carta... they definitely know how to manage and direct a girl to the right markets.
Website Link > http://www.priscillas.com.au

Then we have Chic Management, well it's the motheragency of Abbey Lee Kershaw, Catherine McNeil, Miranda Kerr and Myf Shepered... don't think i have to add anything here...
Website Link > http://www.chicmanagement.com.au

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling