How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-06-2010
rising star

thanks for all that! Looks like I need to take some suitable polaroid style photos. eek.

23-06-2010
rising star

Hey
Does anybody know AT FASHION - agency from China?

http://www.atfashionsh.com/

Kiss:*

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
Yes, i third this. I've actually never heard about new faces paying cash down to an agency. In European motheragencys (and i guess this does also count for overseas), every model has a separate and allodial account in the agency and the agents advance on loan the money until the newface finishes the development proccesses and earns to money to pay it back (and later they charge 20-25% of booking-promision as motheragent).

Sutherland Models is actually a serious company, though, which makes me a bit excited now and these classes story sounds a bit creepy as well (and not in a good way). If you need contact to other Canadian agencies just tell me and I'll provide you some links in this thread to those who definitey not charge money in advance from the models themselves.
Links would be very helpful! Thank you so much!

29-06-2010
trendsetter

Is a 84cm hip ratio to small for a female model?

29-06-2010
V.I.P.

^ Yes, pretty small.

29-06-2010
V.I.P.

^but not too small (depending on the market )

29-06-2010
V.I.P.

86-88cm is ideal for all markets, commercial and editorial, but we aren't allowed to discuss this here anyway.

29-06-2010
V.I.P.

We allow someone to post the general stats for the industry ... but no one may mention thier own stats or anyone else's or ask for advice about it. So what you posted is OK, cologne ... but you are correct ... no further discussion is allowed.

30-06-2010
trendsetter

Thanks for te fast answers.experts!
My bff will give it still a try.

11-07-2010
windowshopping

I'm an African-American eighteen year old girl, about an inch more than the most standard of model heights, and despite low self esteem and discouragement in my younger years, I've always wanted to be a model. Not only that, but nowadays I've been getting 'are you a model? well you should be!' more than ever. However, I know that both my age and my height are kind of hindering, but do I still have a shot? The earliest time I can get to an open call is late August, early September. And even then--do I wear heels? Do I bring pictures/Polaroids? I have none of those. :/ Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by supermodella; 11-07-2010 at 03:00 PM.
13-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanGlamour View Post
Links would be very helpful! Thank you so much!
I'm sorry for getting back to you so late. But well, here we go.

So, my top recommendation goes by far to Mode Models, they've offices and even scouts in nearly all Canadian cities and are easy to work with - fast placements, great relationship to their models and nevertheless the most succesful agency network based in Canada (Motheragency of Julia Dunstall, Meghan Collison, Heather Marks, Simon Nessman and many others Canadian supermodels)
Model Models http://www.modemodels.com/

One agency which is pretty cool as well is Liz Bell Agency. Liz Bell has currently some girls placed abroad (such as Amy Groves who's got a great start via Elite New York or Janice who's off to Paris via Ford Europe). She's leading the agency with a friend, both former models as far as i know.
Liz Bell Agency http://www.lizbellagency.com/

Dulcedo Model Management is based in Montral and rather a new boutique agency with an exciting line up and diverse of boards from commercial to plus sized and editorial models. Maybe not the agency which has been totally in the spotlights during the past seasons, but they know how to place and develop girls, would advice you to give it a shot there if the other agencies mentioned in this post refuse.
Dulcedo Model Management http://www.dulcedo.ca/

The Toronto based agent Chantale Nadeau is also very succesfully working and has nevertheless produced well-known models such as Amanda Laine and Addison Gill who was exclusive to Calvin Klein one year ago. I'm not in touch with Chantale, but her work is highly appreciated by people who count.
Chantale Nadeau Placement http://www.chantalenadeau.com/

I'm not sure where you are based, but try your luck at all agencies mentioned above, they do also work with models who live quite far away from their subsidiaries, if you need more info, feel free to ask.

13-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodella View Post
I'm an African-American eighteen year old girl, about an inch more than the most standard of model heights, and despite low self esteem and discouragement in my younger years, I've always wanted to be a model. Not only that, but nowadays I've been getting 'are you a model? well you should be!' more than ever. However, I know that both my age and my height are kind of hindering, but do I still have a shot? The earliest time I can get to an open call is late August, early September. And even then--do I wear heels? Do I bring pictures/Polaroids? I have none of those. :/ Thanks for the help in advance!
Where are you located?

Well, the taller you are the better it is unless you break the 185cm limit. Being a bit too tall is no problem, in fact, even better than being a half inch too small (providing that measurements are okay as well). Most agencies do never write the real height of a model which is slightly too tall on the show cards or online portfolios. Remember Frida Gustavsson and Karlie Kloss are about 185cm and working like mad :-)

As for the open calls - A good substitute to heels are those "Jesus sandals", no idea how they're exactly called I'm not into fashion. Otherwise you could try those heavy leather boots which a lot of models wear on they way to their castings. But anyway, take some high heels with you and keep them in your bag, just in case.

A serious agency doesn't want you unconditionally to take pictures with you to the open calls. Bring actually nothing with you except yourself and maybe some high heels to put on if they want you to walk.

Last edited by cologne_rocks; 13-07-2010 at 07:03 PM.
13-07-2010
V.I.P.

[QUOTE=cologne_rocks;7571189]I'm sorry for getting back to you so late. But well, here we go.

The Toronto based agent Chantale Nadeau is also very succesfully working and has nevertheless produced well-known models such as Amanda Laine and Addison Gill who was exclusive to Calvin Klein one year ago. I'm not in touch with Chantale, but her work is highly appreciated by people who count.
Chantale Nadeau Placement http://www.chantalenadeau.com/

Great post and lots of good information.
Not to nik pik but Amanda Laine was discovered by Elmer Olsen

13-07-2010
V.I.P.

Thanks for that info it's sometimes hard to differ which agencies discovered all the girls, but now where you mentioned Elmer Olsen, it's also worth to put a link to that agency here - if I'm not mistaken again, they also discovered Bonja (former CK exclusive) Cici Ali, Karl Lagerfeld's runway favorite Kori Richardson as well as Kate Somers whom Casting Director Michelle Lee has a crush on for many seasons now, then Tara Gill (a JPG and McQueen favorite) and last but not least old-school beauty Amanda Laine as corrected by Paws above

http://www.elmerolsenmodels.com/

Last edited by cologne_rocks; 13-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.
13-07-2010
V.I.P.

I would say all right about Elmer except for Kate Somers. I believe she started with Ford and just joined Elmer a couple of months ago.

For any other information about agencies I would have to defer to cologne_rocks,
as I really only know about Elmer's models.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, asia, foreign, male, model, modeling, post, posting, read