How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2010
V.I.P.

^All that is off-topic...........
better get back to the good information

15-07-2010
front row

Hey everyone! I think this is the right thread for this, but if not, my apologies.

I recently visited ITS Management (a talent and modeling agency in my hometown of Lancaster, PA) and they expressed interest in representing me. The catch is a $75 seminar that discusses "the mystery out of getting the perfect headshots or comp cards, proper representation, how to get a legitimate agent, what a casting director looks for in an actor, how and when to join unions, and differences between contracts." I feel that these topics are very basic and that I don't need a $75 4 hour seminar that spews out information I'm 99.9% sure I already know. Aside from that, I don't see anything particularly wrong with the agency. My other qualm is that in about a month, I'll be going back to school in Philly so I don't know how that will affect my representation, but I don't know if it will because they work up and down the east coast. I sent them an e-mail about that and am waiting to hear back. I've also been thinking that it would be a good idea to just wait until I'm back in Philadelphia and to send my information to agencies there. I've been hardcore racking my brain about this and I would appreciate any kind of advice. Thanks!

15-07-2010
V.I.P.

Scam Alert!!

You are smart to ask. Your protective instincts are good.

It's proably not a real modeling agency if they are charging you for classes about anything. It could be a "modeling school" or a small time business that likes to make money from aspiring models. Why would they ask you to take a class about getting a legit agent, anyway ... if they are a legit agent? A legit agent will advise and counsel you on what you need to know as part of helping you when you do go on casting calls.

Yeah ... it's important stuff to know if you are interested, but you can find most of that elsewhere anyway. This information is from a former commercial modeling agent and he knows his stuff .... http://newmodels.com/

A legit agency will not ask you to spend anything with them. But they will direct you to several good fashion photographers tfor test shoots. PHotographers that they know will get the best out of you in the pics ... will be able to produce the kind of picutures the agency will need to promote you. The photographer should never be "in house" ... and agency does not have photographers, printers, or classes. All agencies should do is send their models out to prospective clients and collect money if they model actually gets hired ... they get a commission from the model (and the client, too).

The only things you pay an agency for are their marketing expenses when they are promoting you ... costs of mailing and messengers when they are sending out your portfolio to clients. Of course, should they agree to advance you any money for any purpose (test photo shoots, housing, travel, etc.) you will have to reimburse them sooner or later, according to your written contract. All of this should only reimburse them to cover expenses incurred on your behalf .... it's not intended to be how they make their profit.

If they are legit and they think you have potential, they won't insist that you take this class. If they don't want you unless you give them money for this seminar/class ... just pass and look for another agency.

Last edited by BetteT; 15-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.
16-07-2010
front row

Bette,

Thanks so much for the reply! Yeah, I thought it was really sketchy that the description of the seminar is about finding a legitimate agent when they're supposed to be the legitimate agency with legitimate agents.

newmodels.com is one of my favorite resources. I found it way back when when models.com still had their forums.

Thanks again for the info. It was really helpful; I appreciate it!

17-07-2010
backstage pass

^ SoBlonde, you should try wilhelmina in PA
http://www.wilhelminaphiladelphia.com/

front row

I got 'scouted' by Muse Models in Portland. Supposedly they discovered Darla Baker and Kerry Degman (with whom I went to HS actually). Does anyone have any experience with this agency? I think they may be part of Mode Models. I don't really intend to follow up, but I thought I'd ask.

18-07-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
All of this should only reimburse them to cover expenses incurred on your behalf .... it's not intended to be how they make their profit.
that sound a very politically correct answer, but it is not exactly the reality.
All agencies in the world (including the most prestigious ones) overcharge all expenses advanced to the model, set card, book, appartement, all is charged more to the model that the actual price the agency pay.
And this count for a part not that small in the agency incomes.

18-07-2010
V.I.P.

Hmmm ... .that's the first time I heard that. But, then, it's probably not something they would publicize if that's the case.

29-07-2010
backstage pass

what is the significance of models having agencies in different countries? and is it better?

V.I.P.

As I understand it ... and someone who knows more can confirm or refute this ... is that agencies don't have client contacts world wide ... at least a majority of them. So, if they want you to work in Milan, for example, you will be connected to an agency there ... and your original agency will become your "mother agency" and will get a small portion of the commission. The advantage is primarily to develop your book and to gain experience. Without an agency in Milan ... your agency probably could not get you any work there.

It all depends on the contract your sign with your agency too. If you are in an "exclusive" contract, you may not work with any other agencies ... unless they arrange it for you.

But, if you are not exclusive, you might want to find a few good agencies in other cities. Of course ... you'd probably have to get yourself there ... they won't pay to bring you there to work ... so it just depends on how much you travel on your own, too.

Well, if you are a highly paid and sought after model ... clients will pay to have you travel to them or wherever the shoot is ... but for the newer models who are not well known, not too likely.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.
29-07-2010
backstage pass

thanks alot for the info BetteT

front row

Okay so here's the deal. I'm 16, 5'11" (still growing), ****Edited **** No weight talk please. [i'm allowed to post my age and height, right?]. I've been told I could be a model so many times now that I'm beginning to actually consider it, but I always thought ***Edited*** . But now looking at the latest mens shows in Milan and New York, the male models on the catwalk have the exact same look as I do body and face wise. Which makes me think maybe I really CAN model.

Only problem is, I'm going to be moving to San Diego which is so far from New York. So I was thinking about trying in LA, but I'm worried that the market there is too commercial for me there. Whats the most high fashion mens agency in LA? And if I were to be signed in LA, would I still be able to be sent abroad or to New York occasionally for work, without actually being located there?

Before this was all just a "dream" but I've become so persauded by the people around me to try it that I am actually now seriously considering it.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-08-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: See tFS Community Rules ... no weight talk (even for men).
30-07-2010
front row

Sorry if posting height and age is not allowed, I was going to edit my post just incase it wasn't but it's too late now.

And to add what I was saying in my post above, is there even a market in LA for male models that aren't commercial and ***Edtied*** ? Or would it be possible to be based in LA, but still fly out to NY or London if I like booked a big job? My main concern is that my look is much more suited to the London or NY market, but LA is the only thing that would work for me now as i'm still in high school and LA is very close.

Basically, what i'm looking for is an agency in LA that would sign someone who had more of ****Edited*** punkish look as opposed to a **Edited**Sean O'Pry type, and that has connections to other agencies in London, New York, and Milan. Is that even possible?

Last edited by BetteT; 01-08-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: See tFS Community Rules ... no weight talk (even for men).
30-07-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Only problem is, I'm going to be moving to San Diego which is so far from New York. So I was thinking about trying in LA, but I'm worried that the market there is too commercial for me there. Whats the most high fashion mens agency in LA? And if I were to be signed in LA, would I still be able to be sent abroad or to New York occasionally for work, without actually being located there?
If you sign with an agency in LA, this agency will probably become your 'mother agency'. I wouldn't worry about the commercial market in LA as a good agency will organise tests and give you a good start. If they think you will work well in the more high fashion markets e.g New York... they will organise agency placements in these cities. The New York agency may want to meet you and send you on some castings, this would probably fit around your school commitments. I guess if you are booked for the occassional job, you would have to fly there when needed.

Quote:
And to add what I was saying in my post above, is there even a market in LA for male models that aren't commercial ***Edtied*** ? Or would it be possible to be based in LA, but still fly out to NY or London if I like booked a big job? My main concern is that my look is much more suited to the London or NY market, but LA is the only thing that would work for me now as i'm still in high school and LA is very close.

Basically, what i'm looking for is an agency in LA that would sign someone who had more of a ***Edited*** punkish look as opposed to a ***Edtied** Sean O'Pry type, and that has connections to other agencies in London, New York, and Milan. Is that even possible?
High fashion models come from all sorts of places, they aren't born in NY, Paris, London or Milan, most of them have a 'mother agency' who organises international agencies for them. If your still in school and modelling is something on the side, LA should be fine. When you finish school, they could organise a trip to send you to NY or London. One step at a time though, you need a mother agent first

I'm not an expert on LA, I've only heard about Photogenics... there's probably countless others.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-08-2010 at 09:03 PM.
01-08-2010
V.I.P.

One of the less commercial agencies in L.A. is Click ... some of their guys look pretty editorial to me. And we have offices of Ford and Wilhelmina here, too ... which have both types of models. They all have offices in NY and other places too ... so you'd already be connected, if they wanted to rep you.

Regarding mentioning your stats:

We'll allow some talk about height, but we prefer that you not discuss any personal stats at all. And absolutely no talk about your weight and/or body type ... per the rules for the entire forum. As you can see ... you didn't need to talk about it at all to get some concrete answers.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-08-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling