How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-08-2010
V.I.P.

Nous Models is another LA agency that has a strong men's board. I think they are pretty commercial and beefcakey, but their commercial bookings are pretty prestigious like A&F.
website | blog

Last edited by agee; 02-08-2010 at 12:39 PM.

02-08-2010
front row

Let's say I sent my pictures to 4 different agencies, and 3 of them were interested in me. Would I meet with all 3, then pick which one I want to be signed with? Or how does that work?

Also, I noticed some agencies ask you to name say your chest, hips, etc. sizes, but is it really essential to do that because I have no idea what they are I only know what my waist size is.

Last edited by iRyan; 02-08-2010 at 05:56 PM.
02-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRyan View Post
Let's say I sent my pictures to 4 different agencies, and 3 of them were interested in me. Would I meet with all 3, then pick which one I want to be signed with? Or how does that work?
You should meet with all three and also do research on all of them beforehand, models have gotten burned because they hooked up with an agency that did not get them quality and / or quantity work, but because of the kind of agreement they had they were not free to pursue other representation, at least not in that geography. Specifically you should do a Google search and I would also do a search on them in tFS, I think you can use the search function at the top of the page, but if the name if too generic you can do a search in this thread and also The Model Agency Mega Thread 1 and 2 and the Models Switching Agencies thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRyan View Post
Also, I noticed some agencies ask you to name say your chest, hips, etc. sizes, but is it really essential to do that because I have no idea what they are I only know what my waist size is.
Those are pretty basic questions, get a tape measure so that you are prepared to respond to the questions. When it gets down to brass tacks they are going to measure you themselves but you should be prepared to answer those questions in preliminary discussions. You should also know what the expected measurements are and if you are off by a slight amount and it can be easily corrected then you may want to do that or at least know that it may be a strike against you that you need to compensate for with your other plusses.

Last edited by agee; 02-08-2010 at 09:26 PM.
02-08-2010
front row

i have a question about hair. is it a mutual decision between the model and her agents to cut or dye hair in any way? ive noticed that vlada, for example, dyes her hair from one extreme to the other on a regular basis. and chanel iman recently took new polas with bangs and shorter hair. was it their decision or the agents?

03-08-2010
V.I.P.

In regards to your question....if you are new....when they say 'jump'.....,you say how high....

04-08-2010
front row

can you explain please?

04-08-2010
V.I.P.

It means that if you are a new and uproven model ... you pretty much have to do what your agency wants. If you don't ... they don't have to market you to their clients and you just wont get any work.

And ... you'll soon get a reputation of being "difficult" ... which will spread to clients. No person hiring models, wants a "difficult" model ... they want someone who will do as they are asked ... period.

So ... if you want to work, you will do whatever they ask and do it with a positive attitude.

Model Mom knows this first hand ... she guided her daughter through all of this sort of thing, for several years.

Last edited by BetteT; 04-08-2010 at 03:55 PM.
04-08-2010
front row

i'm sure she does. i just didn't understand what she meant.

04-08-2010
front row

and thanks

09-08-2010
V.I.P.

my friends and family keep telling me
to get into modeling but they just dont seem
to understand that I cant be one because im only 5'8
it would kind of be cool to experience it but I know there
is no agency that would take someone my height

11-08-2010
front row

5'8" is the bottom of the barrel for editorial modeling, but it is possible. Only knowing your height, I think your better bet would be a more commercial route.

11-08-2010
V.I.P.

^He's a guy Minimum 5'11 for male modelling

11-08-2010
front row

xD My bad. I just assume 'female'.

11-08-2010
backstage pass

I was wondering what to expect at an agency open call, I will be in new york soon and I was thinking of attending a W Curve open call. I know I have to bring pictures but what exactly happens at an open call?

fashion insider

Sometimes I think about modeling but I'm not 1.80 (I'm like 1.78-1.79) so if I grow some extra cms I might send my photos to an agency,idk.I'm still young.
Trevo,if you are like very handsome looking an agency or might sign you,I know an australian model who is like 5'9" (or at least that's what they claim him to be) and he's the image of absolut vodka I think (you can google absolut hunk)so... if you're still underage and growing ,you should give it a try,just do not expect to be a runway star.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling