How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-08-2010
V.I.P.

If he's the face of Absolut .... then he's not modeling fashion and that's why he can be shorter. It's a different from fashion modeling ... it's commercial modeling.

18-08-2010
fashion insider

well,yeah,you're right.I believe he is/was signed with an agency,though.So.. Idk,I think the guy should send his pictures to an agency because at the end of the day they are the only ones who can tell if he's suitable for any market and then sign him.Plus commercial models make more money and so...

18-08-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
my friends and family keep telling me
to get into modeling but they just dont seem
to understand that I cant be one because im only 5'8
it would kind of be cool to experience it but I know there
is no agency that would take someone my height
If your very muscular you could do commercial modeling.

There's a male model whose 5'6 but he did all this work for Abercrombie & Fitch.

18-08-2010
scenester

Most male models are at least 6 ft many are 6'2. I met Ambrose Olsen and though he is listed as 5'10' he was my height 5'8". His face was beautiful though and killer body too. He did fashion Armani and D&G and stuff. So if you have a fantastic face you might as well try.

18-08-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jibrielle* View Post
I was wondering what to expect at an agency open call, I will be in new york soon and I was thinking of attending a W Curve open call. I know I have to bring pictures but what exactly happens at an open call?
every agency has different ways they go about it.

with some, you'll wait in a room with other aspiring models, fill out an application with your name, age, height etc.
after a while, the scout comes in, calls you name from a list (because you have to sign in when you enter) and you walk up to them with your application, as you're walking to them they take a quick (very quick) look at you, and after everyone is looked at they ask the ones they are interested in to stay behind

at other agencies, its more personal, they call you one on one with the scout into a room and they ask you a few questions, if they are interested, they'll keep your polaroids and contact you. if not, they'll just tell you "you're not right for us"

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffledleather View Post
every agency has different ways they go about it.

with some, you'll wait in a room with other aspiring models, fill out an application with your name, age, height etc.
after a while, the scout comes in, calls you name from a list (because you have to sign in when you enter) and you walk up to them with your application, as you're walking to them they take a quick (very quick) look at you, and after everyone is looked at they ask the ones they are interested in to stay behind

at other agencies, its more personal, they call you one on one with the scout into a room and they ask you a few questions, if they are interested, they'll keep your polaroids and contact you. if not, they'll just tell you "you're not right for us"

Thank you!

windowshopping

Modelling in Taipei or Osaka?
A girl I know has to decide whether to go to Taipei or Osaka for modelling. Purely from a career and financial point of view, which city would you choose? Does anyone have knowledge of the markets there?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
A girl I know has to decide whether to go to Taipei or Osaka for modelling. Purely from a career and financial point of view, which city would you choose? Does anyone have knowledge of the markets there?
about type of jobs it is +/- the same; it depends more of the agency than of the city.
in Taipei, there are some possibilities of good edito if in the 2-3 best agencies, in osaka possibilities are bit smaller but some agencies there are closely linked to Tokyo and so give possibilities of some tokyo's jobs even if in Osaka.

Market is usually more busy in Taipei, 10-12 casting a day is usual, that means really good possibilities of money for the good working girls, but also money well deserved as it can be really hard there with veeeeery long days of work.
Osaka is more quiet.

A girl with right type can easily do 7-10.000$ in pocket in 2 months in taipei, not so easy to do in Osaka in 2 months, but amount of money that 99% "wannabe high fashion girls" will never do in 2 years in Paris or Milan...

29-08-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
about type of jobs it is +/- the same; it depends more of the agency than of the city.
in Taipei, there are some possibilities of good edito if in the 2-3 best agencies, in osaka possibilities are bit smaller but some agencies there are closely linked to Tokyo and so give possibilities of some tokyo's jobs even if in Osaka.

Market is usually more busy in Taipei, 10-12 casting a day is usual, that means really good possibilities of money for the good working girls, but also money well deserved as it can be really hard there with veeeeery long days of work.
Osaka is more quiet.

A girl with right type can easily do 7-10.000$ in pocket in 2 months in taipei, not so easy to do in Osaka in 2 months, but amount of money that 99% "wannabe high fashion girls" will never do in 2 years in Paris or Milan...
Thanks!

windowshopping

Can a girl who is 5'5 model at all ( proportionate)? Commercially or perhaps in Asia? Do petite models ever make any money? Or is it a lost cause?

08-09-2010
V.I.P.

Basically a lost cause, IMHO. I've heard that even commercial models are at least 5'7" or taller (prefereably a bit taller than that). Models for the tiny, tiny petite market (no pun inteneded) which is almost non existant need to be at least 5'6". And no agency that I know of even reps them.

Maybe promotional modeling might work for you ... you know, working conventions, giving out samples at stores and bars, etc. Doesn't pay much more than minimum wage, as far as what I've been told. Promotional modeling is more about being eye candy and charming the customers than actually doing any real modeling. You have to have slammin' body for that, since it's about sex appeal.

Last edited by BetteT; 08-09-2010 at 01:33 PM.
08-09-2010
windowshopping

Thanks for the info BetteT!

09-09-2010
V.I.P.

actually they prefer tall girls for promotional modeling as well..

09-09-2010
front row

Is there any possibility of doing only the runway instead of editorials as well?

09-09-2010
V.I.P.

^ As a model (except you're one of the supers maybe ) you won't really have the chance to "choose" what kind of work you want, and what you don't want to do. Well, of course if you're not okay with doing nude shots or a shooting that contains fur, a good agency always should leave the decision up to you. But besides that: you most likely will have to take the job-offers you actually get

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling