How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjon View Post
Is there any possibility of doing only the runway instead of editorials as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijuyanah View Post
^ As a model (except you're one of the supers maybe ) you won't really have the chance to "choose" what kind of work you want, and what you don't want to do. Well, of course if you're not okay with doing nude shots or a shooting that contains fur, a good agency always should leave the decision up to you. But besides that: you most likely will have to take the job-offers you actually get
I totally agree with nijuyanah, but one thing you can do is more aggressively pursue agencies whose models get runway work and also some agencies have runway divisions - although that does not mean that the runway division does its own scouting, it may that the agency will assign you after you are scouted. Also if you are really that interested in runway see if local designers and fashion schools have open calls for shows - my guess is that you will not get paid very much if at all but consider it an investment with the payoff being in experience and exposure.

Are you pursuing modeling in Amsterdam? Isn't Amsterdam's Fashion Week in January? If so, I would start doing research and making contacts now.

P.S.
Since you are asking this question I hope this means that you have the correct height and proportions (I am not asking you to post your info) and that you know how to walk in heels and have a decent or better walk. I am not trying to be obnoxious, but I am just putting that out there so you won't go too far down this path and the fundamentals aren't there.

10-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bequietspook View Post
Can a girl who is 5'5 model at all ( proportionate)? Commercially or perhaps in Asia? Do petite models ever make any money? Or is it a lost cause?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Basically a lost cause, IMHO. I've heard that even commercial models are at least 5'7" or taller (prefereably a bit taller than that). Models for the tiny, tiny petite market (no pun inteneded) which is almost non existant need to be at least 5'6". And no agency that I know of even reps them.
I am asking this more so than stating this, but would a talent agency take on a 5'5 female model? And aren't these agencies also tapped into for commercial print modeling? I don't know what your interests are but if you are fine with being the model for the tourism council and headache medication, you may want to consider the talent agency route.

As has been stated before in this thread, research is key - get a list of (presumably) model and talent agencies and go to their sites and see what their requirements are.* You need to be thorough and click on several links like "Contact Us," "Scouting," "Open Calls," "Links," "Partners," "Talent Division," "Commercial Division," or an unknown link that may look like it is an affiliate or a partner. If you don't like doing this kind of research, see if there is a friend or family member who will help you.

Please note I am not disagreeing with BetteT about your chances in fashion modeling and what I am stating is moot if you are too short for a talent agency, but I am suggesting that you include fashion modeling agencies in your research because an agency that you associate with fashion modeling may have a talent division or an affiliation with a talent agency. For example in Australia, Chic Models, which is technically called Chic Management, either has a talent division or a talent partner.

* Do a general Google search and also do a key word search on this site and in the the agency related threads on this site.

10-09-2010
V.I.P.

ETA: The two big agency related threads are: The Model Agency Mega Thread 1 and 2 and the Models Switching Agencies threads. Still do a general search site wide, because you never know if once upon a time someone created a thread centered on Australian agencies (or whatever geography applies) and a lot of good stuff got posted there.

11-09-2010
front row

Thank you agee and nijuyanah.
Yes in Amsterdam. Well, everything is ok I think. The fundamentals are there. I'm going to contact a fashion school in Amsterdam hopefully it will work. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I totally agree with nijuyanah, but one thing you can do is more aggressively pursue agencies whose models get runway work and also some agencies have runway divisions - although that does not mean that the runway division does its own scouting, it may that the agency will assign you after you are scouted. Also if you are really that interested in runway see if local designers and fashion schools have open calls for shows - my guess is that you will not get paid very much if at all but consider it an investment with the payoff being in experience and exposure.

Are you pursuing modeling in Amsterdam? Isn't Amsterdam's Fashion Week in January? If so, I would start doing research and making contacts now.

P.S.
Since you are asking this question I hope this means that you have the correct height and proportions (I am not asking you to post your info) and that you know how to walk in heels and have a decent or better walk. I am not trying to be obnoxious, but I am just putting that out there so you won't go too far down this path and the fundamentals aren't there.

13-09-2010
tfs star

Quote:
How many shows does each model walk in?
A model who is doing about average which is to say, a model who has already risen head-and-shoulders above the thousands of 5'10" teenagers who put themselves through the castings mill and launched herself into the peripheral notice of at least one or two casting directors will walk in about 6-10 shows. A model who's doing quite well might do 10-15, a model considered extremely successful will walk in 15-20. The vast majority of models are not paid for working the shows; they work for the possibility of catching a front row editor's eye, and for "trade," free clothes from the designer, to be delivered at some later date. I believe the current record for most shows walked in a single New York fashion week is held by one Karlie Kloss, who strutted in some 31 shows and presentations during the fall/winter 2008 season. She was then 15 years old.
Note: all shows are not of equal value.

from Jezebel: http://jezebel.com/5634188/everythin...yline=true&s=i

05-10-2010
V.I.P.

Ok, this is probably the silliest question ever... but! Can someone tell me how does a casting call in an agency usually look like? I sent my pictures and was invited for one and I am just wondering how will it look like, haha. What will they tell me to do? Walk? Will they measure me, etc? Thanks in advance!

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemetwotimes View Post
Ok, this is probably the silliest question ever... but! Can someone tell me how does a casting call in an agency usually look like? I sent my pictures and was invited for one and I am just wondering how will it look like, haha. What will they tell me to do? Walk? Will they measure me, etc? Thanks in advance!
it depends but most of the time:
- you'll talk with some bookers of the agency and perhaps one or 2 heads of the agency (it happened at the agencies I've been working and still work at)
- they'll ask if you have experience, and if so what did you do, and to show them your portfolio (maybe giving them the name of the photographers)
- yeah they'll ask for your measurments and they'll take polaroid shots of you
- you'll be ask to walk
- and if it work they'll ask for your informations and they'll sign you on the spot )

ps: try to look as simple as possible = not crazy makeup or funky clothes: just basic or your style but not overdressed

V.I.P.

thank you so much! it's really helpful.

windowshopping

I just want to know what everyone thinks of this situation and what it could mean for me. A booking agent of a photographer whose portfolio is full of test shots of models signed with agencies like IMG, DNA, Next, Wilhelmina etc., and who has had editorials in Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Elle, etc., told me that she liked my look and wanted me to come in for a go-see with this photographer. I am not signed with an agency and have only just started pursuing modeling. I am 18 now and visited a few top agencies in NYC when I was about 16, and several expressed interest but I didn't have enough confidence and wanted to finish high school so I didn't follow through. Now I think I am ready to start modeling full-time, if possible. What might happen when I meet with this photographer? What could this mean in terms of my career?

I've never really heard of this sort of thing happening before so I just wanted to know if anyone on The fashion Spot had some ideas. Thanks!

09-10-2010
V.I.P.

They say "If it sounds too good to be true ... it probably is!" So ... that's a red flag because this sounds really good. If you decide to do it, at the least you would learn something about doing a go see. At best, he'd like your look and want to shoot you. And this could lead to being "discovered" if he's that well published. And that is why it sounds almost "too good to be true" ... a red flag should go up in your mind. However .... things like this occassionaly lead to something .... so it's worth checking out.

A photographer's portfolio can be faked ... anyone can say they took any picture, steal if from the web and put it inot an online portfolio ... how do you really know? Anyone can contact you and say that they rep a photographer, but just saying so doesn't make it true.

So, before you jump .... I want to ask if you have a 100% postive ID on this booking agent ... you know that she is who she is, confirmed. Was she introduced to you by someone you know and trust? Did you seek her out?

Or .... did she approach you out of the blue? How did she learn about you ... do you have an online portfolio. If you do, then you are also inviting predators and pervs to view your pictures. If she approached you ... and you really don't know her ... then I'd do a lot more checking, first. You must establish that she is legit ... who she says she is, that she reps this photographer and that the person you are seeing is actually the photographer she named ... or you don't go.

You've got both names ... so google them both .... see if he's got a thread here in Behind the Lens, see if he's got a site (that is not on ModelMayhem, Models.com, Musecube or anyother place like that) ... you want a dedicated site in his name. His personal site should name his booking agent ... the person who contacted you. Is the contact info the same as what she gave you? You can also call a couple of other photographer's agencies in the city she is in, and inquire if they know her and if she reps him ... tell them the truth, that you've been approached and that you are just trying to verify her identity before you go to meet him. Ask if they can confirm the contact info you have. They might want to assist you .... it won't hurt to ask.

Then, if you decide to go, you should consider taking a friend as security. Don't take that person in to the studio ... it's not professional, but let them both know, in advance that you are being brought over by a friend who will wait outside. It would serve as a warning to any possible predator that someone knows where they are and is waiting for you.

If he likes your look, most likely he would "test" you .. take some pictures while you are there to see if you are photogenic and then, if he likes those, maybe use you for a personal project at another date. Not likely that it would be a paying gig.

If it is what it seems to be ... this might lead to some really great pictures for your beginning portfolio ... which you can show to prospective agents or he might even introduce you to some.

But, if anyone asks you to pay for anything ... then it's a scam and all bets are off!!

Last edited by BetteT; 09-10-2010 at 12:11 PM.
13-10-2010
rising star

Hello everyone, I have wanted to get into modelling for a while now, I live in Sydney and a modelling agency added me on facebook.

They later messaged me asking if i was interested. The message was adressed to me personally, and they have a site and she left a phone number and email and said if i was interested she would email me more details.

I called the agency, I found out they have offices in every Capital State City of Australia but the format they told me was;

That they would give me a free test shoot which would be free of charge, except for hair and make up. They would then arrange a date for me to come back and tell me how i performed in that shoot and reccomend me to agents and stuff.

This is their site;

http://www.seenmodels.com.au

What am I meant to think of this? Im very interested in becoming a model, I replied expressing my interest and asking for more details, but I wanted to ask what all you guys thought of this situation, whether its just a scam or if its dodgy...

thankyou so much!

13-10-2010
V.I.P.

If that means you have to pay for hair & makeup, that's not very cool. Plus seen models is not very well known or doesn't have really popular girls... have you tried contacting such australian agencies as Priscillas or Chic?

V.I.P.

Based on the fact that they are contacting people via Facebook and what I see on their site ... they look like ... not exactly a scam ... but not a real modeling agency either. Why? Because you need to join so you can network ... so that "industry" people can see you ... because they offer photographers, makeup artists, publish a magazine ... all to get you "seen" by whoever hires. Because they seem to rep all types of models .... runway, lingerie, nude, adult, commercial, fitness and ever other type of model there is .... sounds like they pretty much take anyone on.

So I dug futher: Right in the "About Us" page they state that they are a "modeling discovery company" ... so they are not an agency. They supposedly "introduce" you to the legit agencies ... via their magazine and their web site. Same old thing ... it's providing an unecessary service, most likely at the expense of the aspiring model.

And ususally, people in the industry who want to hire models and agencies looking for new faces do not go cruising through these sorts of sites to find models. Agenices hold open calls where they get ton's of interested aspiring models. They take photo submissions. Most of the time it's right on their website, how to do that. People who hire models will contact the agencies they prefer who are known to rep the kinds of models they want and put out a casting call, where the agency sends models in.

Yeah ...there are thousands of sites like these, although this one seems a bit more professional than most. I'm very skeptical.

A real agency does not charge a model to test or for makeup, they don't collect money for anything. Yes, you will probably have to pay a photographer and a makeup/hair artist to do a test after you get signed by your agency, but you should pay those people directly ... not the "agency". A real agency will direct you to people who can help you. An agency should only get paid if they send you on casting calls, you get the job and they are able to collect from the client ... then they take about a 20% commssion off the top. Any "agency" that asks you for money to get your career going ... is not an agency, most likely.

Then, I noticed that they they invite all other types of people to join their "network" ... stylists, hair and makeup artists, photographers. I'd be willing to bet that they put together photoshoots, and charge these people a commission for any shoots they do for "Seen" aspiring models ... or the company collects say, $175 for makeup, put pays the makeup artist only $150 or less ... they make a profit on them, too. Good business move for them, but not so good for the aspiring model. Why wouldn't you want to pay the same makeup artist $150 directly?

Then I see that they sell their "magazine" on line. Why would someone buy that? (I'd be willing to bet that there's a charge to the aspiring modesl to get into that, in addition to everything else.) I don't think a modeling agency would want it ... they have way too many people at their front doors for open calls and tons and tons of photos being sent in all the time. Why would a well paying client be interested in an aspiring model ... I would think that they'd want to go through an agency where the girls are at least coached and guided ... and who may have some real experience under their belts ... a pro. Time is money, they don't want to waste it on someone who is unprofessional. Well paying companies always go directly to legit agencies, when they need models. See what I mean? It's something that I don't think they actually would buy ... only the models who were in it would pay to have a copy. No help there ... those models are your competition, not your target client or a booker in an agency.

As lovemtwotimes said, contact some legit agencies and see if they think you have the look and if they want to rep you. Go to legit agency open calls. If you have what they are looking for they will let you know. That is how you get into modeling.

Last edited by BetteT; 13-10-2010 at 01:37 PM.
14-10-2010
rising star

you know what, you guys are probably right. I was really thrown off when the lady told me I had to pay for hair and makeup, and learning more details, the price is $175!!

I think i might just start my own endeavour just like lovemetwotimes said, I sent them back a message saying that I wasnt prepared to pay $175 and that I would let her know If I was interested again.

thanks for your advice guys!

28-10-2010
windowshopping

I've sent some Polaroids to agencies in NY via e-mail, and I specifically turned on the receipt option for the e-mail because I know how agencies don't have the time to give any form of negative feedback. So, I noticed a few agents didn't bother to open the message, and simply deleted it without viewing. Just wondering if this is typical protocol, or if they're not looking for more models at the moment, or if they can just tell by the subject line: "Model Submission", which they prescribe, that I'm not model material.

My other question is, if I'm living in Chicago, and have no mother agency, would I need one before seeking representation elsewhere?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling