How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-10-2010
V.I.P.

The person at the other end has the option not to send a receipt, when they open it ... so you still don't know if they have seen it or not.

But ... do you know whether or not these agencies actually will take submissions via email? Do your homework ... their sites will probably instruct you how to submit. If you don't follow their protocol, they probably will ignore it. And it also tells them that you can't follow instructions properly, so that's definitely not good ... even if they do open it.

And you probably will need a mother agent before you can break into NY. Especially if you don't live there ... because you can't be called at a moment's notice if a client hs an open call. Also, your mother agency will develop you and prepare you to step up to the NY market.

29-10-2010
windowshopping

Thanks for the help!

I followed each agencies instructions when sending, but none of them had details about attaching the pictures, which I did. I later found out through some googling, some agencies don't read e-mails with attachments due to virus prevention.

10-11-2010
scenester

So im sort of in a bind, i have modeled before, i have a book with pictures and ed's and everything. I had to take some time off due to some personal stuff but before that i had worked in paris (nothing big though). my agency says that there are agencies interested in me, however nothings panned out yet. recently DNA came for a modeling search but she didnt really give any emotion towards if she liked me or not.

So my questions are: when a scout meets you in person, how long does it take for them to get back to you (sorry if this has been asked before).
Im 22 and debating if this is my last sort of attempt to try this again, do you think its even worth it because of age? agencies like girls young, and although im not old, im not a teenager.

Thanks for any help

11-11-2010
V.I.P.

If it's a booker at an open call, they'd let you know right away if they are seriously interested in you. But, when you say "scout" that would depend. If they are not the actual person selecting the models for the agenices, then it would depend on whoever the decision maker is. If this scout, scouts for several agencies, he may be "shopping" you around to several, just to see if there is any interest. So it could take a few business days, but if you don't hear within that time, I'd say that none of them have an interest.

You are correct ... 22 is an advanced age to "start" modeling (in your case, to "re-start"). If you still need to be developed, there is probably not enough time to do that before you are just too old. So that might hold you back.

But .... if you have a strong commercial look, you would probably have a better chance at your age. Not all commercial models have to be super young. So make sure you are seeing agencies that rep commercial models too and see what they say.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.
11-11-2010
tfs star

If your agency set up a meeting with DNA, the DNA scout will not give the verdict to you, only to your agency. The scout took a photocopy from your portfolio and a snap shot with his own camera?

The scout will probably say yes, no or maybe right away to your agency, so you have to talk to them.

12-11-2010
scenester

She took compcards from me and body shots, but she was really quiet and laid back. but after talking to the rest of the girls she was like that with everyone.

thanks guys! this helps out alot!

14-11-2010
backstage pass

I have some questions.

I started modeling when I was 14, in a model search contest, but because of some family problems I had to quit it. I decided to return this year and I've been modeling since February.
Although I have standard stats ***Edited ... please see thread rules in post #1*** it's difficult to me to get signed with an agency, since I have a more haute couture/editorial look and here in Portugal they prefer commercial and runway looks... And I'm old (20 years old).

Is it fair to send my port/book to agencies in other countries without being signed in Portugal?

If I get signed with a smaller agency instead of a big one, do you think that I have the same chance of getting signed abroad?

If I get signed here... Can I send my port to other agencies abroad or only my scout/agency can do it?

Last edited by BetteT; 14-11-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Removing stats, per thread rules.
14-11-2010
V.I.P.

It depends on your contract. If you have a "mother agency" in Portugal, they have the responsibility to develop you and your portfolio to ready you for other countries and then they will send your info out.

However, I beleive that you may send your port to anyone if you want, even if you are signed in Portugal.. But you need to be aware that if you send it on your own and you get signed or any work form another agency, you still might owe your first agency some commission .

So... that is something to dicuss with them, should an agency in Portugal want to sign you. Certain things can be excluded from the usual contract ... such as they only rep you in Portugal but not elsewhere, or you only owe them a commission if it's a result of their own marketing of your services, not something you found on your own. They may or might not agree to these types of exclusions ... depends on how badly they want to rep you.

I'd like to hear from others who work in Europe ... because I'm basing my comments on how it works in the U.S., so I'm not 100% sure.

15-11-2010
backstage pass

My problem is: Next Wednesday and next Friday I have 4 meetings/open calls. Three big agencies and one new agency (but that already has a nice "portfolio").
I've heard that two of these agencies usually work with other European agencies but usually that's only for some specific models. The only agency that can offer me a good "deal" is the new one but still... it's recent so I doubt they have the same opportunities than the other ones.

Another quick question. I have my hair dyed red (now is more of a cooper red/brown red) and I've read that sometimes agencies prefer models with natural hair. On the other hand, I've read that redhead models are rare and that this feature can be helpful. I'm confuse: is it a problem or a plus to have red dyed hair?

windowshopping

Hello, this is my first post on the fashion spot forums, and I am hoping to get some advice. I have read almost all of this thread, but I still have a few unanswered questions. I apologize if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

I have wondered about my modeling potential for the past couple of years. I have sent pictures to New York Model Management and Whilemina, and they both expressed interest in meeting me in person. Now a year later, my family and I are planning a trip to NYC the second week of November. We'll be there Thursday through Tuesday.

Since this trip is first and foremost a vacation and sight seeing trip for my family, and not a "modeling agency visiting" one, I may not be able to visit the agencies I want to visit during their open call times. Is it acceptable to walk into agencies outside of their open call times? Do I need to call the agencies and ask for information before I do that? Or, would it be better to e-mail some pictures to the agencies about a week before my visit? ( I thought that if they expressed interest, I would be able to get a meeting from there.)

What should a "model hopeful" wear when visiting agencies in December? Do I need to wear heels when I walk in? Any tips on staying warm? This is my first trip to NYC, and I'm from the south.

Thank you all, and I apologize if I've asked questions that have already been answered.

15-11-2010
trendsetter

A year later? I think you should send your pictures again then, since it's a very long time ago and the look of models always change. However, if their website says they have open calls, you can do that too. Bring pictures if you have them, wear the highest heels you have and clothes which show your body :-) Good luck!

15-11-2010
tfs star

To runaway : send fresh digitals and full stats incl dob and location to the agencies and get an appointment if poss

to Estefania: you CAN send your book out on your own it will most likely be ignored, overseas agencies like to work with mother agencies they know and trust so it is much better to develop in yr own market and let yr mother agency make representation on yr behalf in other countries

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
Another quick question. I have my hair dyed red (now is more of a cooper red/brown red) and I've read that sometimes agencies prefer models with natural hair. On the other hand, I've read that redhead models are rare and that this feature can be helpful. I'm confuse: is it a problem or a plus to have red dyed hair?
I have heard both too. But I think there is also less call for redheads, so it more or less evens out.

If an agency expresses interest in you, I'd have that discussion with them ... they can offer the best advice for their market and tell you what color is best for you.

The most important thing to remember ... your portfolio needs to reflect what you really look like, for the most part. Clients don't want to be surprised when you show up. If they thought the were getting a redhead and a brunette shows up, they won't be happy. So, deal with your hair first, then start to test for your portfolio and be consistant.

15-11-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Hello, this is my first post on the fashion spot forums, and I am hoping to get some advice. I have read almost all of this thread, but I still have a few unanswered questions. I apologize if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

I have wondered about my modeling potential for the past couple of years. I have sent pictures to New York Model Management and Whilemina, and they both expressed interest in meeting me in person. Now a year later, my family and I are planning a trip to NYC the second week of November. We'll be there Thursday through Tuesday.

Since this trip is first and foremost a vacation and sight seeing trip for my family, and not a "modeling agency visiting" one, I may not be able to visit the agencies I want to visit during their open call times. Is it acceptable to walk into agencies outside of their open call times? Do I need to call the agencies and ask for information before I do that? Or, would it be better to e-mail some pictures to the agencies about a week before my visit? ( I thought that if they expressed interest, I would be able to get a meeting from there.)

What should a "model hopeful" wear when visiting agencies in December? Do I need to wear heels when I walk in? Any tips on staying warm? This is my first trip to NYC, and I'm from the south.

Thank you all, and I apologize if I've asked questions that have already been answered.
If you can't be there on open call days, call ahead and tell them you will be in town on specific days and would like to schedule an appointment. Don't just walk in. They will probably want to see your pictures again, before they will call you in, because they won't remember you.

You don't have to wear the heels to walk to your appointment, especially when it's icy ... carry a models bag (any kind of tote) and put them on when you get there.

Last edited by BetteT; 15-11-2010 at 11:35 PM.
21-11-2010
windowshopping

Yesterday, Saturday, I submitted pictures to several of the top 10 NY agencies. When should I expect to get an answer if they're interested? Also, is it a good idea to snail mail snapshots and stats as well? Would my pictures have a better chance of being looked at that way?

Last edited by Runaway; 21-11-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling