How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-09-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statonscarlet View Post
Another question about male models. What's the best agency for male's to go with for strictly runway?
New York Model Management has a strong runway division, definitely for women, but I think for men as well. Nous (in LA) and Wilhelmina have strong men's divisions. Elite NY has a runway division, but I don't know if they rep men. Also check out LA Models, the west coast sister or New York models, and your profile says you are in the midwest, so check out the Chicago divisions of Ford, Elite (if they rep men), and Wilhelmina.

I would start by going to their websites and checking out their boards and submission requirments.

23-09-2009
THE STRANGER

I have a question! If you want to be interviewed, do you just call them and book a meeting? Or do you actually have to send in pics and pray that they'll be interested and contact you?

And when you do get an interview, what kind of questions do you get asked? Do they retake your measurements and etc?

23-09-2009
front row

What are the best markets to develop a new face (especially a 'ethnic' new face, asian here)?

I'm with an agency in New York and just finished fashion week. My booker wants to pitch me to Milan and Paris by the end of this year for the next season. She also wants to keep me in NY until I got to Milan and Paris (probs for her wallet..). But I really really think I should go abroad to get more tears since my competition in NY have already been to Tokyo, Milan, Paris, London etc and their books show that.

I know Tokyo and Asia in general is where a lot of my other new face friends were sent when they started. But I also hear that asian models don't do well in asian markets (I'm asian american, so it makes sense that I started in NYC and not in Seoul or Tokyo like other asian models...but NYC is also the most competitive/where all the top girls go)?

23-09-2009
trendsetter

That's right.. Usually New York is sort of "the end goal" if you know what I mean. And you shouldn't go to Tokyo and Asia, because they (like you said already) don't prefer Asian models.

23-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
.but NYC is also the most competitive/where all the top girls go)?
i disagree that NY is the most competitiv. it is a city where there are lot of work in ALL categories of modeling, when in Europe, most cities are bit more focused on some type of jobs, wich does not make more easy at all.

i dont want to disapoint you, but europe is actualy very hard for ethnic models nowadays, and it might be very hard to find an agency ready to advance you the expense.

Now it all depends of your current level in NY, u said you just finished fashion week, but it does not mean much, as a girl who finish fashion week woth a few show booked, is obviously not in the same position for her european placement than a girl who did not book any show...

24-09-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michyed View Post
I have a question! If you want to be interviewed, do you just call them and book a meeting? Or do you actually have to send in pics and pray that they'll be interested and contact you?

And when you do get an interview, what kind of questions do you get asked? Do they retake your measurements and etc?
There are two ways to see an agency ... the first is to send in photos (simple ones against a plain background, with minimal makeup, simple clothing that shows your body ... like jeans and a tank top ... a close up of your face with your hair pulled back, a 3/4 shot and a full length shot) and see if they respond. If they are interested they will ask you to come in so they can see you in person. Or an "open call" where anyone may walk in with their photos. Open calls are usually scheduled one day a week for a couple of hours. They will look at everyone there, and talk to only those that interest them ... it's quick and easy ... usually in and out in less than a few minutes. You can check their websites for their scheduled open calls and/or sumbission requirements ... and if it's not there, then call them and ask.

You don't get asked anything, if they don't think you have the right look for what they need. If you have something that interests them, they will probably measure you, take a few polaroids and then ask about any experience you might have had and if you are in school, your age, etc.

Expect to go to lot's and lots of open calls ... usually you will get turned down. And try again every few months ... if you were given any words of encouragement ... because sometimes you have ther right look and stats, but they just don't need someone who looks like you at the moment, but their needs change all the time.

26-09-2009
windowshopping

Hi there! I have a pretty general question. *** Edited ... see post #1 of this thread ... do not post personal stats or ask for a crituque about your personal suitability to model***

Does there exist models with (a height of about 5'7") and can they get away with it?

Thank you in advance for answers!

Last edited by BetteT; 26-09-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: See thread rules ... in post #1
26-09-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post

There's no such thing as agencies specialized in runway models.
Yeah. I know, but he wouldn't suit commercial, so I wanted agencies that are more specialized with runway.

26-09-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
New York Model Management has a strong runway division, definitely for women, but I think for men as well. Nous (in LA) and Wilhelmina have strong men's divisions. Elite NY has a runway division, but I don't know if they rep men. Also check out LA Models, the west coast sister or New York models, and your profile says you are in the midwest, so check out the Chicago divisions of Ford, Elite (if they rep men), and Wilhelmina.

I would start by going to their websites and checking out their boards and submission requirments.
Thank you.

26-09-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterlove View Post
Hi there! I have a pretty general question. *** Edited ... see post #1 of this thread ... do not post personal stats or ask for a crituque about your personal suitability to model***

Does there exist models with (a height of about 5'7") and can they get away with it?

You can always try. Agencies will tell you if they like you or not!

Last edited by BetteT; 26-09-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Editing quote.
26-09-2009
THE STRANGER

Quote:

Thank you in advance for answers!!
Yes! There are a few models that are around 170... Kate Moss is even shorter I think. Devon Aoki is literally 164, or close to that. I've asked your question so many times too... Just be persistent in visiting agencies! Good luck!

Last edited by BetteT; 26-09-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Editing quote.
26-09-2009
V.I.P.

^ Yes but when Kate started models in general weren't as tall as they are now, at all. So Kate's height in that time was fine, although she didn't do that much runway in her career.

Anyway, you should visit some agencies, winterlove.

26-09-2009
tfs star

Quote:

It depends on what you want. Your height is fine for local commercial modeling, but that is a part time job most of the time, and interferes with school and other work. And the economy makes things harder too.

Do you have a strong desire to call yourself a model, or a strong desire to have nice pictures, or a strong desire to make money? Each one might lead to a different path.

Last edited by BetteT; 26-09-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Editing quote.
30-09-2009
front row

Quote:

Im 1.71 and I do model. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it. I do it part time, besides university, sometimes I have more sometimes I have less to do. I think for pictures it is totally fine to be that height. If you want to be a runway model that will be hard though.

01-10-2009
rising star

Susann , can you tell us the name of your mother agency?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling