How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-12-2010
V.I.P.

juliahearts, can you give me the list of agencies you applied at in New York? I know a few rather small but efficient motheragencies in New York & and its environs which first develop new talent with tests etc before they introduce them to the "huge" agencies. It's definitely the better way.

15-12-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
juliahearts, can you give me the list of agencies you applied at in New York? I know a few rather small but efficient motheragencies in New York & and its environs which first develop new talent with tests etc before they introduce them to the "huge" agencies. It's definitely the better way.
DNA
Muse
Q Management
Trump
Supreme
B1
Major
Silent

V.I.P.

how talll do you have to be at least?
I mean, I know Models are tall. BUt like Zippora, I´m as tall as she is (/was when first listed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
It's even better to go to open calls ... to see if you can get any feedback from them. They might indicate that you have the look but they just don't need it right now. They might make a suggestion about changing your look or the other types of work or agencies that might work for your "type". However, If you get flat out no's repeatedly (they usually will say that you are "not right for them: or that you look "too commercial" which means pretty but not a fashion model) without any encouragement from any agent ... then you pretty much know .....
how do I find out about these?

V.I.P.

There are a few short girls who're pretty successful, but most of them do have influental families. (Adwoa Aboah, Zippora, Cara D from the new Burberry ads...). You need to be 173cm at least, I'd say. Plus perfect body proportions, and an extremely expressive face. Even then you'll have a hard furrow to plough.

Are you from Germany? (as for the open calls....)

02-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
There are a few short girls who're pretty successful, but most of them do have influental families. (Adwoa Aboah, Zippora, Cara D from the new Burberry ads...). You need to be 173cm at least, I'd say. Plus perfect body proportions, and an extremely expressive face. Even then you'll have a hard furrow to plough.

Are you from Germany? (as for the open calls....)
2nd Cologne_rocks

There is more pressure today to be even taller, taller ****edited*** than ever before. It's not like in the 90's or early 2000's when say 175/176 was normal/ideal (naomi, linda, cindy, christy, heidi to isabeli fontana etc).

If you are still young about 13, 14, 15, then there is a better chance to get into modeling if you're under 175 and over 173. But once you're 17, 18, 19, agencies expect girls to be at competitive heights, 176-182 with very very little exception anymore.

A girl who is young and short will have to develop into an exceptional model compared to her 178 counterparts. Many times you'll see the shorter girls drop off into the commercial world when they're around 18, 19 because they couldn't compete with 178 girls who can pose, walk and have it all.

Zippora started very young and her mom works at Red Eleven...
Kate Moss was discovered at a very young age and was probably expected to grow a little more but didn't. You'll see that the youngest girls tend to be a tad shorter than the established girls because agencies expect them to grow a little more.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: No weight talk, please ... per tFS Community Rules.
02-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myown View Post

how do I find out about these?
Open calls ... days and times (if they have them) are usually published on thier web sites. It's usually one day a week for a couple of hours. If they don't have open calls, they will probably tell you how to submit picutres. But, if it's not on the site, then it's OK to call the agency to see if they have open calls or not.

04-01-2011
V.I.P.

thank you all for the answers!
But now I think I dont have a chance. I have no influental family. And now I have to admit, that I am too short and maybe too old to start, too (even if everyone says I look like 18 at most).
But thank you all for these answers!!!
cologne_rocks I am from Germany, but from 26th february till 7th march in NYC..

Last edited by myown; 04-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.
09-01-2011
V.I.P.

^ Realistically, it may be too late for you to try to be a high fashion model* or at least the type that we are familiar with, but if commercial and catalog modeling interest you, you should go for it, especially if you have the right proportions, a pleasing or interesting face and good skin and hair. If you are in or near one of the big cities, presumably Berlin, Hamburg or Munich, just go to a few open calls and see what happens, really the worst that can happen is that they say thank you and you never hear from them again. This is a listing of agencies by country, although I don't think that it is an exhaustive list. The two that I am most familiar with are Modelwerk and Place, although I am familiar with Louisa, M4 and Mega as well, and Viva and Wilhelmina are branches of international agencies. Regardless if you are interested in modeling, you should look up all of the agencies in your area and find out what their recruiting process is and then take it from there.

* A caveat, fashion modeling is not out of the question if you meet the specs, but it may not be the visible type, it may be more along the lines of showroom and fit modeling, or print and runway work for small and / or new designers / design houses, photographers or magazines.

Last edited by agee; 09-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.
09-01-2011
windowshopping

when you are signed with an agency and they take your polaroids and put you on their website...after they send your pictures to international agencies, if they decide to sign you, how long after that do you travell abroad, is it like a week, two or months?

09-01-2011
front row

I'm not sure if this was already previously addressed, but what advice does anyone have for an aspiring model who's parents are 1) in the picture and 2) not supportive?

I'm 16, , ****Edited You many not post your stats, no dicussion of weight and you may not post (or refer to) your picuture for critique, per the thread rules posted in Post #1 of this thread **** and I've been dying to move to NY and model, but my parents are so against it. I do model in my city currently..but it's not the same. )

Advice?

Sorry if this was addressed already, I just would love some advice/personal experience about it.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-01-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Removing stats, etc., per thread rules.
09-01-2011
front row

Also, adding onto my last post, someone told me to just directly walk into an agency and not attend an open call? Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Another question, I have red hair. Does that give me any advantage?

09-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyfay View Post
when you are signed with an agency and they take your polaroids and put you on their website...after they send your pictures to international agencies, if they decide to sign you, how long after that do you travell abroad, is it like a week, two or months?
If an agency abroad offers a contract they will want you to work in that market for at least two months.
But if it doesn't seem like you're doing very well initially at that market abroad, your trip might be over sooner.
If you end up doing well, you might stay longer.

09-01-2011
front row

Parental support is critical when you are underage. They will have to sign contracts on your behalf with any agency who would be interested. As a mom, I know how much I have to support my daughter in this business and yours would need to do so until you are 18. Perhaps your parents are just worried about the business and for that, they will need to understand it and learn about it. Do you have valid agencies near your location (not model schools)?? If your parents can't get on board, you can always try when you turn 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloryepp View Post
I'm not sure if this was already previously addressed, but what advice does anyone have for an aspiring model who's parents are 1) in the picture and 2) not supportive?

I'm 16 and I've been dying to move to NY and model, but my parents are so against it. I do model in my city currently..but it's not the same. )

Advice?

Sorry if this was addressed already, I just would love some advice/personal experience about it.

Last edited by BetteT; 09-01-2011 at 06:08 PM.
09-01-2011
V.I.P.

Open calls are not that common in Germany (I think the only agency doing that in a regular manner is Izaio Models in Berlin). Just use the application form provided on the websites and they will get back to you if they think you are model material.... Viva Models in Berlin is not related to Viva Model Management in London and Paris.
Hamburg is swamped with agencies but most decent commercial deals there run through Place Models and Mega Model Agency. M4 Models has also achieved nice results recenty, just as Modelwerk (but MW tends to push their own editorially). All of the agencies mentioned are very strict about height, so they will most likely not take a 5'7 girl (unless she's 12 or 13). There are a few good agencies outsite of Hamburg... am model management in Cologne represents very cool girls, all equipped with top placements (Louisa Bianchin at DNA, Lena Hard at DNA, Aysche at DNA, Val & Nur at FM), but the owner is also very strict about height/age and the overall look... Otherwise you could try Tomorrow is another Day (Cologne, Düsseldorf) or Quantum 7 Model Management (Cologne, Marburg). Tomorrow is another Day does EXTREMELY well for boys - They represent all their models worldwide and therefore take 50% provision from the jobs. Meisel, Nick Knight, I&V, Rick Owens, Dazed Group etc book the lads regulary, but i highly doubt that clients check TIAD's female division. The air gets thinner the more you get southern - There's S M C in Wiesbaden.. They have a few girls at IMG/Marilyn, but their reputation is evil as they charge for tests and some other reasons. The only agencies worth to be recommand in Munich are Louisa Models and Munich Models. Louisa Models is one of the best agencies for commercial only....

09-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMommy View Post
Parental support is critical when you are underage. They will have to sign contracts on your behalf with any agency who would be interested. As a mom, I know how much I have to support my daughter in this business and yours would need to do so until you are 18. Perhaps your parents are just worried about the business and for that, they will need to understand it and learn about it. Do you have valid agencies near your location (not model schools)?? If your parents can't get on board, you can always try when you turn 18.
I don't I live in Pittsburgh, PA. The modeling here is excuse my french, but trashy. There is Docherty and apparently a few years ago a girl was signed with Next NY after she was signed with Docherty..but that's one girl.

My mom did say she would take me to NY this summer, but I'll be 17 :/ kinda pushing the limit.

I might have an opportunity to go to Paris this spring for modeling though, so I guess I will see. Thank you!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read