How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-01-2011
rising star

thanks BetteT

21-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-V View Post
my friend got scouted loads and every single time rejected her, then she got accepted once and BAM look what happened! same with tyra banks

dont worry if its meant to be it will happen
if not then you know its not the right path for you
modelling kind of 'chooses' you in a way
you know how they say that the best girls are the ones who 'found' well maybe that may be the case but dont give up or be disheartened,you can change your destiny if you really want something, no?
thanks so much, and i agree.

backstage pass

B1 Models contacted me, and wants me to do a test shoot before they sign me.
What does anyone know about this agency?
And they said since I can't afford the $500 it costs, they're going to figure something else out, and contact me tomorrow. What do you think this means? Does anyone have experience with this?

V.I.P.

I don't know about the agency, but maybe someone else in NY does and can tell you what they know.

As long as they did not tell you that they do the shoot and that you will pay them, they are probably legit. It's a huge red flag that they are not a legit agency ... if they make money off by selling photoshoots, portfolios and the like. Never pay an agency directly for a test shoot. You should pay the photograher.

If they are legit, I would say that "figure out something else" probably means that they are calling a few of the photogs that have contacted them looking to borrow models for their own portfolio work and see if they are interested in you enough to do a free test shoot. And if that's the case, that's good ... it means they really do think you have potential and they just need to see how you look in pro photos.

Sooner or later ... you will have to pay for some test shoots ... it's part of the cost of doing business. Models are actually self employed and must pay for their own marketing expenses and getting photos and building a portfolio is one of the most important parts of it.

So you know, agencies are hired by models (I know, this sounds strange) to find them work and earn a commission when they do that. But, they don't "work" for just any model ... only those that they think can actually make some money. So the models bears the expense of marketing materials, photos, portfolio, comp cards, and the cost of sending them out to propective clients. You need money to start your business.

So, if they can get you a free photoshoot, consider yourself very, very lucky.

Last edited by BetteT; 21-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
21-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I don't know about the agency, but maybe someone else in NY does and can tell you what they know.

As long as they did not tell you that they do the shoot and that you will pay them, they are probably legit. It's a huge red flag that they are not a legit agency ... if they make money off by selling photoshoots, portfolios and the like. Never pay an agency directly for a test shoot. You should pay the photograher.

If they are legit, I would say that "figure out something else" probably means that they are calling a few of the photogs that have contacted them looking to borrow models for their own portfolio work and see if they are interested in you enough to do a free test shoot. And if that's the case, that's good ... it means they really do think you have potential and they just need to see how you look in pro photos.

Sooner or later ... you will have to pay for some test shoots ... it's part of the cost of doing business. Models are actually self employed and must pay for their own marketing expenses and getting photos and building a portfolio is one of the most important parts of it.

So you know, agencies are hired by models (I know, this sounds strange) to find them work and earn a commission when they do that. But, they don't "work" for just any model ... only those that they think can actually make some money. So the models bears the expense of marketing materials, photos, portfolio, comp cards, and the cost of sending them out to propective clients. You need money to start your business.

So, if they can get you a free photoshoot, consider yourself very, very lucky.
Okay, thanks SO much for this information. Really helps.

front row

Question. I'm going to New York in the middle of February around Fashion Week. Is this a bad time to see agencies as it will be kind of hectic?

21-01-2011
V.I.P.

Probably a bad time to see agencies .. they might even cancel their normal scheduled open calls during fashion week ... tbecause they just get too busy to see hopefuls. I'd call ahead with your schedule and see if they are holding open calls or not.

21-01-2011
V.I.P.

Yes, many bookers leave to Europe when NY is done and during pre-season days there's total chaos going on there.

21-01-2011
front row

So then when is the best time to go? Because I'm planning a trip but I really don't know the best time to go.

22-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloryepp View Post
So then when is the best time to go? Because I'm planning a trip but I really don't know the best time to go.
During show season or around the winter holidays are probably the only really bad times to go. Submit yourself to the top ten agencies and perhaps you'll have appointments rather than hitting numerous open calls! Models.com has a listing of the top ten agencies and their websites so check them out and see how they take submissions and go for it!!

31-01-2011
windowshopping

Tips from former president of FORD MODEL MANAGEMENT, Joey Hunter:
http://www.youtube.com/user/modelwirenetwork

Last edited by BetteT; 01-02-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Removing off topic discussion.
06-02-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by avitar View Post
I think that Q is a fairly good agency, not top ten but they still know what they are doing. They have Cordula Reyer who does very well and their guys division does excellent. Also, they were on Americas Next Top Model!
thank you

windowshopping

Hey guys! I'm new to tfs and was wondering if you guys can help me out.
I'm currently a senior in high school and plan on attending college in NYC this coming fall. I am already doing local modeling and would love to get with an agency in NYC. Is it common for models to be enrolled in college while working and are agencies ok with working around a school schedule?

I know a few models who go back and forth from my hometown and NYC and they told me that the best bet is to go with a smaller agency than the big ones (but my agency in my hometown wants to go for the very top, I don't think they understand my schooling). So I've been doing my research on places like models.com but can't find much information on the smaller agencies, only the top 10. I'm looking at smaller names I found like MC2, Red, Q, Basic, Empire, Fenton Moon, APM etc. Does anyone have anymore information on what type of agency I should be looking at in my situation?

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

I don't know about agencies in NY other than the top ones ... since I don't live or work there.

But I can address school ... it is a problem. You have to be available when there are casting calls and go sees ... or you won't get any work. They happen during the business day almost exclusively. The clients will not stay late for you or work on weekends just so you can get there. They will just hire from the models whocan show up on thier schedule. In addition, you have to go to a lot of casting calls just to get one gig ... so it's not something that you can choose selectively ... you need to show up at every one possible.

And then ... when you do get a gig ... you must show up ... and it's likely to be a full day (8 to 10 hours) at the minimum and sometimes it's several days. And there are fittings, which might happen on another day.

You will work, only if shcool takes second priority. So .. you will need to find a way to make up the missed classes, etc. or go to night school ...

Last edited by BetteT; 22-02-2011 at 12:06 AM.
22-02-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleFix View Post
Hey guys! I'm new to tfs and was wondering if you guys can help me out.
I'm currently a senior in high school and plan on attending college in NYC this coming fall. I am already doing local modeling and would love to get with an agency in NYC. Is it common for models to be enrolled in college while working and are agencies ok with working around a school schedule?

I know a few models who go back and forth from my hometown and NYC and they told me that the best bet is to go with a smaller agency than the big ones (but my agency in my hometown wants to go for the very top, I don't think they understand my schooling). So I've been doing my research on places like models.com but can't find much information on the smaller agencies, only the top 10. I'm looking at smaller names I found like MC2, Red, Q, Basic, Empire, Fenton Moon, APM etc. Does anyone have anymore information on what type of agency I should be looking at in my situation?
What type of modeling goals are you trying to pursue?
It is possible to go to school and model at the same time as I know many models who do so. BetteT is right--You need to realize if school is a number one priority, then you would have to set aside your goals of pursuing a full-blown blue chip fashion career (because it requires a lot of traveling).
But it is possible for you to develop a fashion career while in school. Many of the top agencies will consider working around your schedule until you're ready/out of school for a full time career.
Assuming you already have somewhat of a book, an agency will probably focus on getting you testing and getting you some editorials (and maybe travel over summer--many girls do this)
Again, the more credits you are taking, the more difficult it will be for this to happen.

As far as which agencies to go with--try to aim for the Top 10. Ford, Marilyn, Elite, Wilhelmina, NYMM etc all have girls who are in school (whether its high school and out of town or taking classes). For your situation, I would actually say a big agency that has a clear development division like Wilhelmina will be best. Those small agencies you mentioned vary in quality. MC2 has a few girls in school and their models make a lot of money (head booker used to be star booker at Wilhelmina). If you really want a good small agency, Muse, VNY could be an option as well as Q although their girls tend to be a little older/retired. I would avoid agencies like Basic and Fenton Moon as I've only heard horror stories from models and clients mostly based on the fact that they're very small company/inexperienced bookers. Those other smaller agencies won't be able to be proactive in your situation and beginner career as much as bigger agencies with strong client relationships.

Last edited by theBlueRider; 22-02-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling