How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2011
front row

I'm planning on trying to get signed in early June.

Now my question is, I currently have braces, but I should get them off before I go. I have the option of keeping my gap in the front of my teeth or closing it?

Will the gap improve my chances? Or should I just close it and have a perfect smile?

03-03-2011
V.I.P.

Don't worry so much - In general, the gap doesn't improve your chances but doesn't reduce them either if it's not that big. Some commercial clients might not be too fond of it while it can be an advantage in editorial print. I'd say don't get rid of it, it's just part of your appeal.

The most important criteria are those you can't really change so easily: An appropriate bone structure, propotions (not weight related, I mean relationship between neck and shoulders, between torso and leg length...) & height of course. That's something you either have or don't have.

Last edited by cologne_rocks; 03-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.
03-03-2011
rising star

Hi, any info on talentmanagement.com? TY

04-03-2011
windowshopping

Does anyone know the stance model agencies have on taking on new girls with tattoos? I'm talking about tattoos on the arms.

Not for me (too old too short ) but for a family friend. I would think that it would be a major no-no but want to know if anyone can offer an expert opinion?

Thanks

04-03-2011
V.I.P.

Generally they don't like them if they are readily visable. It costs clients money to have makeup artists spend extra time concealing them and keeping them concealed during the entire shoot ... so most clients will select a "clean" model most of the time. Therefore, agencies don't want to deal with that issue.

Exceptions might be made if it's tiny and fairly inconspicous. Or ... ir the model has a face as great as Kate Moss and no one else will suffice ... one in a million.

There are "alternative" models and tatoos are looked upon as a plus, a lot of the time. But these models generally don't do fashion... it's most likely other types of businesses who will use these models for ads: bike shops, clubs, tatoo parlors and that sort of thing. It's a much smaller part of the modeling world, without the opportunity to make it big. A lot if is done via the internet ... there are sites like Suicide Girls ... not really an agency.

She needs to be aware that sometimes "alternative modeling" leads into a somewhat unprofessional world, where "models" are used for less savory types of work. So, if she does that ... a word of caution.

Last edited by BetteT; 04-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
05-03-2011
V.I.P.

AHA! I finally found this thread. I knew I had seen it somewhere before, but it kept evading me for some reason...
Anyway, I made a separate thread for this, but I'll post it again here. I have an interview with an agency in Atlanta called the HOP Models and Talent Agency. I've always wanted to model, but have been rather nervous to take that first step. I figure trying out for a smaller agency would give me an idea on if I have potential or not...Thing is, I'm not quite sure if this place is legit. They also have a location in Chicago, so if anyone from there or Atlanta has heard of it or has had experience with HOP Models, I could really use their opinions. This is their website: http://www.hopmodels.com/index.php. The website makes it look promising, but again, I'd rather not waste my time if they're a scam that asks for money right off the bat. I figured if I'd get any solid answers about this place, TFS would be the right forum to ask. So please and thank you for any info and/or advice you can give me!

09-03-2011
front row

i would actually tell anyone that if you want to be a model ask a model about their experience!! call a booker and ask to talk to someone about modelling its always great to see the real deal before you sign!

15-03-2011
front row

Is summer a nice time visiting agencies? And also, if you don't fulfill the agency's requirements, but still sees some girls with your stats on their site, is applying photos worth a go?

V.I.P.

Do you want to apply somewhere in Norway? Then I'd say you could apply at local (mother)agencies when ever you want.
Devations in measurements are okay unless it's drastic (- (+) 5 cm is okay I'd say)

15-03-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
Do you want to apply somewhere in Norway? Then I'd say you could apply at local (mother)agencies when ever you want.
Devations in measurements are okay unless it's drastic (- (+) 5 cm is okay I'd say)
No, I was thinking about Paris. That I could travel to Paris for a couple of days during the summer holidays.

Last edited by Birgit; 15-03-2011 at 01:10 PM.
15-03-2011
windowshopping

Well I can finally say I have mother agency, Yay!! And now the real work begins building a quality book, but I am excited the key is finally in the door, it's up to me make sure it gets opened!

19-03-2011
front row

I sent some pictures to some agencies in Paris. Should I expect an answer at all if they don't like me?

V.I.P.

^nope

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_sun View Post
^nope
Ok, thanks

V.I.P.

Yes, agree with cold_sun. Paris, or main markets in general don't take phrase of civility too seriously.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read