How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-09-2011
V.I.P.

but... if that mother agent has an Aston Kutcher or Karlie Kloss under their belt that's a lot of bread and butter.

20-09-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom View Post
but... if that mother agent has an Aston Kutcher or Karlie Kloss under their belt that's a lot of bread and butter.
well,yes, mother agent, scout....only really earns with the good working girls.
and it is actualy possible to earn very good money with obly one girl if that girl reach let's let's say the Top 50 best money maker.

the funny thing is the last posts is that people seems to think that a girl making no money is actualy making serious money for her agency or her mother agent, it is of course not the case, at every level of it; this business makes only money with the good working girls, and in reality, even the top agencies are not really big money maker compare to many other business.

21-09-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontenrose View Post
"A Model Life" ABC documentary showing three prospective models with their mother agent (also Karlie Kloss's mother agent) but only one is ready to go to NY fashion week. One segment warns of promoters, who get paid to round up models (even underage) to get free dinners and drinks in nightclubs. Another segment warns about a famous photographer and his requests for sexual favours. Other interesting points: agencies charge models for lots of things, and the model is left owing them money and getting only $120 per week advance, the model is put on a skin prescription (sounds like accutane from the side effects), and of course the body measurements issue.

Part one: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...tline-14524006

Part two: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...tline-14524031

Part three: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...tline-14524065

Part four: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...tline-14524141

Part five: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vide...tline-14524193

Also, the mother agency "Mother Model Management" was horrified by how the show just portrayed the dark side of the industry, so they had a rebuttal on their web site:
http://www.mothermodelmanagement.com...tory-back.html
Thank you for this, there is actually nothing new for me, but always interesting to see "behind the scenes" and "behind the glamour" programs.

And I highly recommend anyone who`s willing to be a model to watch this. Magazines, fashion shows and all the fuzz in here TFS, for instance, gives enough opposite examples of modeling world, so good to see some rough stuff once in a a while

21-09-2011
V.I.P.

I think 10% provision is quite a fair deal for the models given that there are motheragents who charge up to 25%. Plus, the two agents of Mother do always travel with the girls, so they have relatively high expenditures.

21-09-2011
tfs star

^ yeah, 10 % doesn`t sound so bad and these scouts in those videos actually were "real deal", so I didn`t mean to sound like they were some kind of devils If you even referred to my post or those videos Documentary was just being realistic, not like some ANTM or crazy worshipping fans her on tfs (), and that`s what I meant.

21-09-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
I think 10% provision is quite a fair deal for the models given that there are motheragents who charge up to 25%. Plus, the two agents of Mother do always travel with the girls, so they have relatively high expenditures.
but there were no agents with Ehren or Hailey in the documentary

and 25% (of gross) motheragency commission sounds ludicrous (unless you mean 25% of the commission that the placement agency takes - that would be around 10% of gross)! If it was 25% of gross the motheragency would find it impossible to place any of their girls in NY.

21-09-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothsidesnow View Post
and 25% (of gross) motheragency commission sounds ludicrous (unless you mean 25% of the commission that the placement agency takes - that would be around 10% of gross)! If it was 25% of gross the motheragency would find it impossible to place any of their girls in NY.
I dont think nowadays 25% is still possible, a model would just not stay with the agent.
But...i can tell you that at the end of 80'S begining of 90's, when eastern countries just started to send girls abroad, it was quiet usual for mother agenct to take ALL the earning, as the girls was just happy to be abroad and to live with just pocket money
Good old time...for some agents

21-09-2011
tfs star

Quote:

Excuse my ignorance, but yeah, I just realized they were scouts not agents, or is it actually the same in this situation?? So if these ppl take 10 %, and the placement agencies take god knows how much, depending on the city, and all the additional fees, what the model gets is next to nothing. Or do they include other fees (metro tickets, apartment..) in their provision? Geez

21-09-2011
V.I.P.

I sent a really nice comment to MotherModel Management about how they mangage their models...but also let them know that for the majority of the agencies...the Nightline documentary was very true to life. It was deleted. I assume this was because they don't want to scare away any new clients. If they spend any time at all looking at what goes on around them they must know the modeling industry's not the bed of roses MMM portrays it to be.

If you are making money for the agency ....your welfare is of major concern to them. They recieve 20% of your gross profit and bill the client another 20....I assume the 'mother' agency gets 10% out of the agencies profit.

If you are in debt to the agency as the majority are then any money you make goes to pay on your bill.....

21-09-2011
front row

model_mom is correct.
Jeff and Mary from MotherManagement, St Louis are the scouts - they receive 10% of gross from any job these girls do
NEXT are the placement agency - generally the commission is 33.3% (when you include agency fee) so, they receive 23.3% Jeff&Mary get 10% (or maybe a little less when you do the maths). The model pays 100% of all her expenses including accommodation, transport... and everything else (the list is long)

Last edited by bothsidesnow; 21-09-2011 at 09:22 AM.
21-09-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:

I've worked with them, they are the girl's motheragents not just scouts.

21-09-2011
tfs star

A mother agent is not that different from a scout in the case of a girl in which the NY agency thinks can make some real money. While the NY agency is interested, they will make the decisions, since they know best.

Models should realize that the mother agent-major booking agency is the more important relationship here. MMM must be very tight with Next since they let Next take away Karlie Kloss from Elite, burning that bridge. I wonder if that caused damage to the careers of some of MMM's other Elite girls, who had to be abruptly moved as a result.

29-09-2011
rising star

Sorry to interrupt this MMM discussion going on...
but does anyone know anything about OMG Model Management (Placement Agency) in Los Angeles? I got contacted by them today. They seem to be a new agency which could account for the fact that I can't find a lot of info on them... but I'm not sure.

29-09-2011
front row

I haven't heard of them but since you live in Chicago, you have Ford and Factor Women (previously Elite Chicago) right in the area! Typically your mother agent would then place you into the other markets.

29-09-2011
V.I.P.

Yes i second that, try factor.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling