How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-12-2011
V.I.P.

You are correct to look into this.

Scam! Well ... maybe not exactly a scam. But a lot of people think so, because the same thing happened to them. (do a Google search for them with the keywood scam added). I know that I don't like the deceptive "casting call" that they advertised which got you to send in your pics ... it's just a little unethical, in my opinon.

There is no real job ... nor a real casting at this point. It's a sales pitch for a listing service ... showing casting calls that they find in various places. Nothing that can't be found by anyone, I would say ... at least most of the time.

Your pictures and how you looked had nothing to do with it so don't get excited about being "selected". They did not select you as a potential model ... they selected you as a potential customer (a wanna be model with money).

If you are real model material ... go to open calls at legit modeling agencies. If they think you have potential (they will be ruthlessly honest), they will rep you. Then, they will send you to casting calls where you actually might have a shot at the gig, because you have the look the the client is asking for. And you won't have to pay to find out about castings in your area ... your agent will have the information already.

Some people like these listing services ... and are very engergetic about promoting themselves and have some success. But I've also heard that the information they (various listing services for casting calls) give you may not always be accurate or up to date. So you may have to sort through lots of listings to find anything that actually will work for you. So it may be legit .... it's up to you to decide if it's worth $20 a month to find out.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-12-2011 at 04:58 PM.

29-12-2011
V.I.P.

Unless you expect to be send to fashion photographers and booking editors of serious magazines (internet casting do not provide this type of clientele), it may be worth a try. I would still not be willing to pay $20 a month for something that you can get free with a bit research on the internet.
Otherwise (and if you are rejected by modeling agencies) I'd just send in some digitals to a few casting directors who are really into street casting and not only looking for model material (Brice Compagnon, Jennifer Venditti....)

31-12-2011
front row

Yeah, it was definitely deceptive and I agree a little unethical. Once I read the email I was like "Oh, I'm paying $20 for a newsletter listing castings that don't seem relevant to me." Then, all of the knowledge I've learned about the industry came knocking at my brain, which is basically what you, BetteT, said. I was selected because I have money and if I actually think I have potential to work then I should try to be represented by a legitimate agency.

cologne_rocks, I like the tip about sending digitals to more street casting oriented directors.

Thanks to you all for helping me think this through!

06-01-2012
windowshopping

Do 17 year old girls still need parent supervision to get signed?

How long does a first modeling contract last on general? Is it easy to change agencies if a girl isnt happy in the one she is right now?

reading this thread is so useful. It's worth my months and months of googling!
Posted via Mobile Device

06-01-2012
V.I.P.

You probably don't need parent supervision, but it's a good idea as the agency can talk to them and answer any questions. It might be best to get your parents to read the contract before you sign it too, as you are under 18 they might need to sign it as well ?

I don't know about Indonesia, but I think many agency contracts are three years. If you are unhappy and discuss your issues with the agency they should help you/give advice etc. but I don't think it will be easy to get out of it. If both parties are unhappy I'm sure they'll cut their losses and terminate the contract.

06-01-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpischoria View Post
Do 17 year old girls still need parent supervision to get signed?

How long does a first modeling contract last on general? Is it easy to change agencies if a girl isnt happy in the one she is right now?

reading this thread is so useful. It's worth my months and months of googling!
Posted via Mobile Device
In most westernised countries, a person needs to be a certain age before they can enter into any legal contract. In most states of the US, UK and Australia this age is 18, so a 17 year old girl would need a parent/ legal guardian or her solicitor's signature on the contract for it to be valid.
Most modelling contracts are for 3 years (but you could ask for a shorter period) and they're not easy to break.

06-01-2012
V.I.P.

Simply put, unless you owe the agency a lot of money it's actually not a big deal to leave. Some agencies include questionable "exclusive" contractual clauses but these are not valid in court.

07-01-2012
windowshopping

Thank you for your answers!

Well, I plan to go to New York this Fall, therefore am gonna try to send pictures to lots of agencies. Last year, when I still lived in France, I was asked to come to Marilyn Agency in Paris after sending additional pictures (but I couldn't go) so I'm hopeful that I have something interesting in there.

I've been told that in smaller countries and/or developed countries and/or countries with a small presence in the fashion industry (like some in southeast asia) when you start a modeling career locally you'll be stuck in your local fashion industry and it's harder to get out of it. That's kinda why I didn't try to get signed in Indonesia, knowing that I'll be out of country in less than a year. Well.. I don't know, I guess I also wanted focus on my high school studies.

Last edited by terpischoria; 07-01-2012 at 12:07 AM.
07-01-2012
tfs star

^Wow, it is already a good sign that they asked you to visit in the agency of Marilyn, it is pretty respectable agency. It means you have some real chances, otherwise they wouldn`t have bothered to contact you back. Good luck! And my advice is also that you let your parents see the contract, there may be something you don`t notice/understand etc and they may help you with your decision. And yes, I think you need to be 18 anyway to even sign it, at least in Europe, USA and so on.

29-01-2012
windowshopping

I don't know if it's fine to ask this here, but which agencies should I be looking for in Sao Paulo? I'll go there for the winter holidays maybe (which is July here) and it's the biggest market nearby (I'm in Chile) so I thought I could give that a try. I know it's just January but I'm curious

30-01-2012
V.I.P.

^ Way Model Management http://www.waymodel.com.br/

31-01-2012
windowshopping

Oh wow, I had completely missed that one, thank you!

25-02-2012
scenester

I could use some advice.

I live in NY for school. I have a mother agent, but I'm not sure she has the right contacts or is sending me in the right direction. I just went to Athens to do editorial work, which I did some luckily, but here in NY I have only done some tests that I personally think are too "glammy", too much makeup and weird styling. She has had me meet with three agencies here, and two of them said at my age, my book should be better. To quote Muse, "We have 16 year olds coming in here with stronger books than you." The other was looking at me as a new face, but I don't think I am right for their new face board as most of their girls are babies and totally undeveloped (One).

I'm not super young (in my 20s) and feel like I could be doing something, but I feel like I am wasting time. I am still waiting on my pictures from Ace in Athens, and plan on going to meet agencies here. I want to be doing paid tests, but my mother agent said she hasn't gotten a response from some she sent me to (William Lords). Could it be he doesn't want to shoot me, even if I pay?

I just feel like some guidance is needed and I don't know where to look. My measurements are right, I think my face is okay, what am I doing wrong? Do I need better management? Better polaroids? I feel like I am not young enough to go in with *just* polaroids, but need a book to make up for my age. HELP!

I'm not looking for fame or fortune, just mild success.

****Edited***

Per thread rules you may not post your picutures for critique. See post #1 of this thread.

Last edited by BetteT; 26-02-2012 at 02:14 AM.
26-02-2012
V.I.P.

Here are my thoughts:

Regarding your paid test .... I'd say that there is a possiblity that it's just not high on his priority list. Paid tests are at the very bottom of the pay scale for photoghraphers and if this person is getting regular work, then he's only do paid tests during his slow times, when he needs to make a few extra bucks. I'd ask your mother agent if there are any other photographers that she thinks could do a good job for you specific needs.

"Editorial" means sort of glammy and definitely weird with makeup etc. And if you wish to make it as an editorial/fashion/runway model in NY ... you need that sort of shots in your portfolio.

And yes ... most fashion/editorial models do start out at about 15 or 16 and are developed young, maybe even sent to Europe to get some edoitorial magazine experience under their belts way before they are 18. So it makes sense if they say your portfolio is not developed enough if you are over 18 and don't have all of that already, because an editorial/fashion career for most models ends at the age of about 25. They'd like to get a few years from you after you have gained experience.

I can't say if you mother agency is doing the right things for you ... but it sounds like they are doing all the usual and appropriate stuff. They have sent you to several legit agencies in the city to find out what they think about your look and they are trying to get you set up for a pro test to see what you can do in front of the camera. If the other agencies think you are too old for fashion/editorial modeling ... then there's not much you or your mother agent can do about that.

You might want to look into commercial modeling, which works for older models sometimes. Generally, commercial models make more money than runway and editorial models ... with the exception of the few top models ... so a career as a commercial model is actually pretty lucrative, if you have a look that they want. It's all about ads, commercials, and catalogs, etc. .... not high fashion. You might want to look into that and see if you might have potential in commercial modeling.

26-02-2012
backstage pass

The age is the problem. There are some exceptions... like the ones from Kati Nescher, Nadja Bender, Valade and some others... but they are exceptions. They have perfect faces, perfect bodies, perfect walking... perfect editorial work.

I went to my agency last year, when I was just turning 21 (well, the day before turning), only with some printed pictures of trade shoots... And they just looked at it and went "these do nothing for you". They asked me to take my clothes of and walk in my bikini, took some polaroids... and they gave me a chance. But they always told me that my age would be a problem for me, since I had no experience whatsoever.

I'm not getting much work too but I don't blame my agency, since I know it's not easy to sell a 21 year old model with almost no experience. They are trying their best to put me in the runway, I already did some runway shows, a paid test and I'm doing some portfolio work with some photographers and designers... and that's it.

The thing is... at 21 years old we can't ask the same opportunities as the ones they give at 16 year old models. We need to work twice as hard and twice as "fast".

We need to work it! Be sure that if they have two girls with similar features they will not look at their age but at their experience! If you know how to work the runway and strike a pose... then you have it! But if in your early 20's you still can't "work it"... forget it, you will loose to every single younger... even if your look is stronger.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling