How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2012
windowshopping

Hello Gays, I always had a question.
What happens if a model have a contract with NY or Paris Agency for lets say 3 years, and then the contract expires, and the model still owns the agency money, I mean the agency invested in her and she never paid her debt back, will she be asked to pay the debt later with her own money?

04-03-2012
backstage pass

I don't know if this question belongs here,but I'll ask anyway.
Do you guys know something about agent called John Casablancas?He founded an agency called STARSTYLE,and has scout centers in countries all over the world.
I read,though,that it's all a scam,but I am curious what goes by that-scam?Or,are those only a rumors?

V.I.P.

lunastyle .... Yes ... in most modeling cotracts, it's made clear that the model owes any money spent on her by the agency ... and if they don't get it out of her pay ... she still owes it to them. The contract is a legal document and you will be held to it. So, it's very important to know what you sign. And the is why the parent or legal guardian of the model must sign for any model under legal age (18 in the US).

MF ...John Casablancas has "modeling" schools ... they used to be called "charm" schools, for young ladies to learn how to dress, put on makeup and learn manners. Slowly it sort of changed to modeling stuff ... most likely because charm schools became old fashioned, they could not make any money that way any more. Theres a ton of money to be made by charging for classes for wanna be "models" and it's the big buzz word nowadays.

It's not a scam ... you actually get classes for your money. But ... it does not help anyone in getting a modeling contract or makes them look more like a real model ... no matter what they say. They serve a purpose for people who want to learn how to look better ... but that's still a charm school.

I don't know anything about STARSTYLE and I don't see any reference to it on the John Casablancas site.

However, here is a story about a "scouting agency" ... which may or may not be similar to STARSTYLE:

Wilhelmina (which is a legit modeling agency in NY) sold their name to use for a "scouting agency" for a while to a man who turned out to be one of the biggest scam artists in the country (about 15 years ago, I would guess) ... and he set up a scouting operation under that name.

They would sent out scouts to malls and recruit girls and guys to list on their site. These scouts were not professionals in any way ... they hired just about anyone at all. The "scout" (aka saleperson) would go out aqd talk wannabes into getting on their site ... for a charge, where they could be seen by all the "potential clients". The scouts got a part of that fee back as pay. So it didn't matter if the wannabe has real potential or not ... all that mattered is that they had money and paid. In fact, my friend got approached when I was with her once, and she was over 40 at the time, way, way too old to start modeling (although she actually had been a model 25 years before). The owner of "Wilhelmina Model Scouts" eventually went to jail for other offenses and schemes ... but it was clear that this company was just lining his pockets, too. And then, to top it off ... hundreds of the scouts never got paid either .....

Thinking that STARSTYLE might be a "scouting agency" like this. I would say ... avoid it.

If you have the right look to model, all you have to do it walk into real modeling agencies' open calls and see what they say. You don't need a modeling school to learn (especially if you don't have the right look) ... it's almost alsways a waste of money. You should not be on a web site on a list of thousands of wannabes that don't have what it takes. You need an agent ... who will guide you and develop you.

Last edited by BetteT; 04-03-2012 at 10:05 PM.
04-03-2012
V.I.P.

^BetteT, you are actually quite right about starstyle. It's quite sad to see what John Casablancas has become... I mean he built up the Elite empire back in the days

05-03-2012
backstage pass

Thank you so much BetteT! I suspected it to be something like that,but wanted to check.
I actually made a mistake,sorry for that,their name is STARSYSTEM :http://www.starsystem.com/jss.php

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFavorite View Post
Thank you so much BetteT! I suspected it to be something like that,but wanted to check.
I actually made a mistake,sorry for that,their name is STARSYSTEM :http://www.starsystem.com/jss.php
starstystem is legit, in fact they have some now built some agreement with some good mother agency (particularly in eastern countries) to rebrand their agencies in "starsystem" agencies.
for exemple in latvia, Dandy agency (ginta Lapina, ieva Laguna...), is now a "starsystem" agency.
As far as i know, exept that csablancas has given some right to use his name, he has absolutly no involvment in day to day stuff, the guy actualy running the things is Jeremy Roux.

Now as i see on their web site they they are realy loking for "scout", i guess there of course can be a few abuse.
So i guess that if u are contacted by a "starsystem" agency who has behind the logo, a real structur of model agency, it is OK, if its just "a scout " with very little sctructur, i would be much more carefull even if he might have sme agreement with starsystem.

05-03-2012
windowshopping

but if for exemple the agency signs a girl for 3 years, they invest the money in her, and after one year they drop the girl and do not care about her any more. Does she still needs to return the money that the agency invested in her at the begining after her contract expires?

05-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunastyle View Post
but if for exemple the agency signs a girl for 3 years, they invest the money in her, and after one year they drop the girl and do not care about her any more. Does she still needs to return the money that the agency invested in her at the begining after her contract expires?
In theory, they could ay least try, but in practise, it never happens.

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Yes ... if that is what her contract said. That is the usual way of doing things ... but you have to read the contract to know for sure. The end of the contract does not mean the end of her debt ... she probably still owes them the money they spent on her.

It's the same as any small business The model is acually a small business owner. Compare it to opening a shop. Most people must borrow the money to get started ... from a bank or an investor. Then, you must pay rent, then you pay for electricity, water, etc., then you pay to have a sign put up, then you pay to advertise your shop in the local paper. A lot of money is spent, up front, in the hopes the the shop will be sucessful. Some shops make it and start to make a profit, usually after about 18 months. Most shops do not and fail within that period. But the owner still must pay back their bank orttheir investor.

Think of the agency as your bank or your investor who gives you a business loan and they also have the contacts you need to get people interested in your product (you). You have to pay back the money they invest ... they don't "give" it to you, they only "lend" it to you.

Last edited by BetteT; 07-03-2012 at 12:10 AM.
06-03-2012
front row

Quote:
Hello Gays, I always had a question.
What happens if a model have a contract with NY or Paris Agency for lets say 3 years, and then the contract expires, and the model still owns the agency money, I mean the agency invested in her and she never paid her debt back, will she be asked to pay the debt later with her own money?
There are situations where a model might think she's in debt i.e. according to the statement she's been given from her agency which shows a negative balance -- but she's not really in debt, or in as much debt as that statement shows...

To work out her actual balance, she must take into account how much tax has been withheld by her agency - in the US, its generally 30% of every job she's done (for non-US residents). These amounts will appear as debits on her balance sheet, but they're not really because the thing with tax is that she'll only owe tax on any profit she makes! (for the year) - so if she hasn't made any profit for the year then all of that "tax" that her agency has withheld belongs back to her! - not the tax department.
If her agency has done the fair and lawful thing and have paid the money over to the tax department and have issued her with an official tax receipt (in the US this is called a "1042" certificate), then she can get this money back by lodging a tax return.

08-03-2012
windowshopping

Hi, I'm visiting agencies in London on the 19th of March- my question is, agencies that don't have open call times, how much in advance would I need to book an appointment with them?
Any other general advice would be very much appreciated.

08-03-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ07 View Post
Hi, I'm visiting agencies in London on the 19th of March- my question is, agencies that don't have open call times, how much in advance would I need to book an appointment with them?
Any other general advice would be very much appreciated.
You have to email those agencies with your pictures, and only if they are interested you can get an appointment with them Good luck!

11-03-2012
front row

Would it be silly to submit pictures to an agency in London if you live in America?

11-03-2012
V.I.P.

You will have to have a good mother agent in the US who is developing you ... who works with agencies in London and beleives that you are ready to go intenational. If you are not already repped here .... there's probably very liitle chance that it will be workable without that pull.

Let's lay it out ... suppose you send your pic, and they are interested. The first thing they will do is ask you to come in so they can see and meet you in London. Can you afford to do that?

Then, if they rep you, they will probably want you to start to build your portfolio with one of their favored photographers ... in London. And then they will send you on go sees .... in London and Europe. So ... you would have to move there .... before you even make any money ... before you know that you can even hope to make it in London. Will they pick up your expenses? Maybe, but unlikely ... and they don't really pay for it. If they think you are the next super star model, they might advance you the money to move and to live there ... but, as discussed above ... you will have to pay them back. It's a loan ... not a gift.

So .... look for a good local mother agent that can send you to London later, after you have shown you have the potential and the likelyhood that all the money will be recouped. I see you are in San Diego ... so most likely you will need an big agency in L.A. to get this done. At least you can commute in 2 to 3 hours, for calls and go sees .... and you can live a lot cheaper at home.

Maybe Ford, L.A Models, Next .... agencies that have a strong board of editorial models .... not just a commercial agency.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.
11-03-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
You will have to have a good mother agent in the US who is developing you ... who works with agencies in London and beleives that you are ready to go intenational. If you are not already repped here .... there's probably very liitle chance that it will be workable without that pull.

Let's lay it out ... suppose you send your pic, and they are interested. The first thing they will do is ask you to come in so they can see and meet you in London. Can you afford to do that?

Then, if they rep you, they will probably want you to start to build your portfolio with one of their favored photographers ... in London. And then they will send you on go sees .... in London and Europe. So ... you would have to move there .... before you even make any money ... before you know that you can even hope to make it in London. Will they pick up your expenses? Maybe, but unlikely ... and they don't really pay for it. If they think you are the next super star model, they might advance you the money to move and to live there ... but, as discussed above ... you will have to pay them back. It's a loan ... not a gift.

So .... look for a good local mother agent that can send you to London later, after you have shown you have the potential and the likelyhood that all the money will be recouped. I see you are in San Diego ... so most likely you will need an big agency in L.A. to get this done. At least you can commute in 2 to 3 hours, for calls and go sees .... and you can live a lot cheaper at home.

Maybe Ford, L.A Models, Next .... agencies that have a strong board of editorial models .... not just a commercial agency.
Okay, that makes sense, thanks for your help!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read