How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2012
V.I.P.

That's pretty much the case in the US, too. There are hundreds of good photographers who are building their own portfolios and need agency models to test. And stylists like me too. It's usually beneficial just to test for free and if it's sucessfull, everyone wins.

19-04-2012
backstage pass

Here in Portugal, test shoots are paid. Or at least, that's what the agency tells the model.
I usually pay 100€ for a test shoot with 3 to 4 edited photos.

To be honest, I did only one test shoot because I can get a photographer to shoot me for free without any money involved... and with much better quality than the paid ones. Here in Portugal the agency lends NO MONEY to the model. Travel, test shoots and look changes... it's all paid by the model.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstefaniaAbaddon View Post
Here in Portugal, test shoots are paid. Or at least, that's what the agency tells the model.
I usually pay 100€ for a test shoot with 3 to 4 edited photos.

el.
of course it is what agency says
small and mid level agencies has good revebus revenues from that!
the price charge to the model is of course higher than what they pay to the photographer, and if as low as 100 euros (which real phototographer would work for that kind of money??) there is still chance it is free test for them that they charge to the model...

just notice that the "overcharged" expenses exist also in to agencies, for exemple, no one never really know how much they actualy rent appartement they charge to models, and it is fo course less than what they charge.

19-04-2012
backstage pass

I find that incredibly unfair. The agency has nothing to do with the test shoot, so there is nothing to get money for. Sometimes I feel like I'm just loosing money here: they are always calling me for test shoots and castings and fashion week. But any work I get for free they say I can't do it. Why? Because although I get experience and something to show, they get no money from it.

backstage pass

Does anyone know the difference between Women Model Management, Women Direct, and especially the 'new' section called Names Runaway?
I saw it on the Women agency's website, so I wonder what the differences could be...I know about Women Direct since a while ago, though I never understood what it is.

V.I.P.

Women direct focuses on the high and low end commercial side of modelling, a very lucrative "money maker" division with a more conventional scouting aesthetic than women management which has a more directional scouting aesthetic and therefore focuses on the high fashion, high end commercial and editorial market. I dont know the new division but "runaway" sounds like a division for fitting and showroom models.
Posted via Mobile Device

01-06-2012
backstage pass

Thanks for info cologne rocks. What you said about Names Runaway makes sence to me.

windowshopping

Does someone here know agencies in Munich that hire male models ?

17-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ Miha Model Management, Tune Management and Louisa Models

22-06-2012
front row

I worked as a model in Australia in 2007/08. I want to start in Germany again. I'm nearly 22..is that too old?

V.I.P.

It's pretty old. You have the one advantage that hopefully you are expeienced enough to be able to hit the ground running to make up for lost time (the average model works to about 25). There are always a few exceptions ... if you have an extremely unusual look that sparks a lot of interest from the clients .... you could get some work.

22-06-2012
trendsetter

Since Germany is a commercial market you could definitely try it out. There is a small trend of using older models lately I believe

26-06-2012
windowshopping

I'm already an agency model in my country, but the market here is tiny -not to say nonexistant- and agencies are just starting to export models, usually to Asia.

My boyfriend is dutch and it's very likely I'll be travelling to Amsterdam for a couple of months every year during my holidays (going there in a week, for three weeks) so I was wondering.. Is it possible for me to visit agencies there and see if they are interested? How would that work? This is of course assuming my agency doesn't have any contacts there

28-06-2012
backstage pass

You should talk to your agency and see if they have contacts at any agencies in Amsterdam and whether they can present you or set up appointments for you to meet with them. If they do have the connections it will look much better/be a lot easier than trying to do it yourself.
If not, some agencies may have open calls (usually listed on their website) or simply just send them an email and say you are interested in joining their agency.

The other thing to note is that since you are coming from a foreign country you will need to have the necessary work visa and meet the requirements for that. I don't know what those are for The Netherlands but that is another advantage of having your mother agency involved in the process as, if they place you overseas, they will be able to help you with all of that.

28-06-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodia View Post
I'm already an agency model in my country, but the market here is tiny -not to say nonexistant- and agencies are just starting to export models, usually to Asia.

My boyfriend is dutch and it's very likely I'll be travelling to Amsterdam for a couple of months every year during my holidays (going there in a week, for three weeks) so I was wondering.. Is it possible for me to visit agencies there and see if they are interested? How would that work? This is of course assuming my agency doesn't have any contacts there
What type of contract did you sign with your local agency? If you signed a worldwide exclusive contract with them, they'll be claiming mother agency commission from any work you get, anywhere in the world. Your agency will have to negotiate with the Dutch agency as to what commission this will be. If you sign without the consent of your local agency, then you'll be liable to pay the mother agency commission yourself!

If you didn't sign a worldwide exclusive contract, you can do what you like.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read