How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
(the average model works to about 25).
sorry but this is simply not true. Even high fashion models usually work longer than that, let alone commercial models. 25 is still very young for a pro. sure it depends on your looks, skin body etc..but there is still tons of work for girls 25+

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

You are correct ... there are lots of working models over 25.

I was talking "average" model ... not the good ones who that that something special that keeps them working.

I'd bet that more models have left the business before they reach 26 than those that are still able to work.

28-06-2012
V.I.P.

So, I looked it up and per NewModels.com, (which is owned and written by a former commercial modeling agent/manager)"
Quote:
For the more visible fashion models (those competing for editorial fashion assignments, high end runway work and fashion campaigns – the ones we think of as “fashion models”) age is a very strong factor in selection. Prime time for entry into the industry is age 16-18, although some models as young as 13 or as old as 21 are accepted into major fashion agencies. In some places fashion models must be at least 16 to work. Many agencies have policies of not accepting new fashion models over 21, and some specify as low as 19.

That category of fashion model, if successful, can work into her early twenties sometimes. A few fashion models – those at the top of the industry, can work into their thirties and beyond. But for those very few, it is because they have ceased being “fashion models”, and have become brands, or celebrities, whose face is widely recognized. Many of them are called by the over-used term “supermodel”.

There are other types of models who work in the fashion industry – those that we don’t normally think of when we use the term “fashion model” – who can be well outside those age restrictions. Catalog models (“commercial fashion” models) can be of nearly any age, certainly well into their 40s, and include children. Fit models also can work while much older than the “fashion models” we described above.
Of course, this doesn't actually quote the average age at which most models quit or are forced out .....

30-06-2012
windowshopping

I just checked, it *is* a worldwide exclusivity contract. Guess I'll just email some agencies and inform the people in my agency if anything comes up! Thanks for the feedback.

30-06-2012
V.I.P.

Uh ... I suggest that you talk to them first. It's their job to do the contacting of other agencies.

If they know you are contacting other agencies without their permission, when they are your "mother agency" it might not reflect well on you. Yeah ... I suppose the contract doesn't say you can't contact others .... only that you will have to pay a commission to your agency if you get work. But still ... it's frowned upon. They could think that you are not loyal and may be sneaking around.

09-07-2012
windowshopping

Proscout model scouting event, Legit?
I was walking through the mall to get to the videogame store a few days ago, and this woman stopped me and told me she worked at proscout model scouting firm and gave me a card with the time and date of one of their casting calls or whatever on it she said I should come, it was today at 5:30 pm at embassy suite hotel in dublin, and I went with my friend who also wanted to go just because.

Some guy was the host and greeted all 50-60 of the people that showed up, he said he was a ford model for 10 years and stuff, and that he was discovered by proscout and that if anyone had dreams to become a model or actor the best way would be through proscout.

Then they divided the ball room into two groups, one side to speak to him (where I was in) and the other side to speak to one of the successful actors that was scouted through them.

He said that if he saw something in you that he liked he would give you a card from the deck of 52, and then send you to the back wall to get a snapshot taken.

20 minutes later, the 50 or so people had been widdled down to a solid 15 or so and here's where I start to get fishy, they said they dont require for you to pay for any photos or any classes and that should all be done through the agency, but that we were all invited to the invitation only event they were holding at the ritziest hotel downtown in september to meet face to face with 40 agents from prestigious agencies, the catch is you have to pay 795$ to attend.

I want to say it's a scam but, the agencies represented and all the videos they showed seemed so legit.

Here is there website, http://proscout.com/

And here is their agencies list that are allegedly supposed to be at the invitational
http://proscout.com/index.cfm/show_agents-agencies

Thanks and I sincerely apologize if this is the wrong section for this to be posted in.

10-07-2012
rising star

Sounds like total BS to me, but what do I know? The being discovered at the mall thing is what you often hear about models these days, so to me it sounds like they're taking advantage of gullible model/actor wannabes.
Why don't you contact one of the agencies they claim to work with to check if it is true?

10-07-2012
V.I.P.

795$?! Haha this is absolutely ridiculously high priced. Alternatively, you can send your pictures to the top agencies of the world which has the same effect but for free. Legit agencies offer this "service" for free.

10-07-2012
rising star

Yeah, send your photos and info to the agencies directly. Some reply, some don't, but they won't make you pay for anything.

10-07-2012
windowshopping

Thanks for the replies guys.
Oh gee haha, I am just realizing all of the grammatical mistakes and errors I made in the initial post.

The only reason i was even remotely considering that this wasn't a complete rip off was they kept pushing Lindsay Ellingson, Hillary Rhoda, and Garret Hedlund and a few other's names for people who were discovered through proscout.

And yea I don't know how they expect someone who is an aspiring actor or model, (aren't these usually like waiters and waitresses?) To just somehow find the spare 800 dollars to attend some event 2 months away.

Being a model or actor sounds fun, but I cannot say that it is a dream of mine.

10-07-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katharrrina View Post
Yeah, send your photos and info to the agencies directly. Some reply, some don't, but they won't make you pay for anything.
That sounds like a plan lol
Though I doubt that I am model material. I am short for a guy. 5'10" Or so.

10-07-2012
rising star

Give it a shot, some agency might think your look is strong enough to get work even though you're "short".

10-07-2012
V.I.P.

Here's what I've been told by an agent about this sort of "modeling convention" or "modeling contest" ... so it probably applies here, too. They, of course make their profit from all the aspiring models (and in this case actors, too) .... but they have to deiver something for that money. So, yeah ... there will be reps form some agencies there. But ... it's how they get the agencies there that is interesting .... they usually pay the agency. Then the agency sends someone (not always a booker/agent) who may be looking for new faces ... or not. The agreement is usually that the agency must "call back" a certain number of people ... so they have a quota of call backs to fill. However, they don't have to sign anyone ... just do one formal call back. So, does getting a call back that mean they have any real interest in you? No. They must just go through the motions.

Do they ever sign ? Yeah, occasionally .... but not more frequently than via photo submissions and open calls at the agencies. What you are paying for is to see numerous agencies at once .... but it's not really as good as it seems. You won't have control of who is there so you don't even know if they are looking for your "type".

So, I think this call back thing sort of preys on wannabe model's asirations ... and gives them hope, when nothing will happen.

At least, if you go to open calls at the agencies in your city (almost all agencies have them), you'll get the truth. You will know on the spot if there is some serious potential there, or not. And Open Calls, don't cost you anything other than time.

Last edited by BetteT; 06-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.
06-11-2012
front row

Hi, what should I wear to a first meeting at an Agency?? I'm meeting them to apply as a model and it's winter! =)

V.I.P.

Heels, slim jeans and a tank top always worKs well. It lets then see your body and proportions. You can always pop a sweater over the tank and pull it off if they want to see you. And if it's icy, you can wear boots that slip off easily, but bring heels in a tote in case they want you to walk. Minimal makeup, pull your hair away from your face ... they are not interested in seeing you "made up" ... in fact that hides what they want to see: your skin and your bone structure.

Good luck ... hope you have what they are looking for.

Last edited by BetteT; 06-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling