How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-10-2009
trendsetter

Yeah, nice videos! It's fun to watch.

15-10-2009
front row

model agency query
Hi, not sure if this is the right place but guessing so. basically my friend has been signed with a young up and coming agency for 3/4 months but nothing much as comee out of it, she hasnt even got her portfolio but signed a contract agreement thing. She's stil doing test shoots. She recently got scouted by a MAJOR huge agency and she would probably like to move to them. however will she get a bad rep? what should she do as the small agency have been so nice to her? should she go and miss out on the opportunity? also will the small agency make her pay for the test shoots etc?

reply asap!x

15-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-V View Post
Hi, not sure if this is the right place but guessing so. basically my friend has been signed with a young up and coming agency for 3/4 months but nothing much as comee out of it, she hasnt even got her portfolio but signed a contract agreement thing. She's stil doing test shoots. She recently got scouted by a MAJOR huge agency and she would probably like to move to them. however will she get a bad rep? what should she do as the small agency have been so nice to her? should she go and miss out on the opportunity? also will the small agency make her pay for the test shoots etc?

reply asap!x
Bad reputation ? no reason for that, so I don't think so ...
If she's got the chance to work in an agency that can provide her a much better service, why miss the chance ?
Now she needs to know how it's with the small agency, since they spent money on her, they won't just loose the money they spent, it's really not like that. I think she should grab the chance but it's up to her to decide I guess.

15-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Hi, not sure if this is the right place but guessing so. basically my friend has been signed with a young up and coming agency for 3/4 months but nothing much as comee out of it, she hasnt even got her portfolio but signed a contract agreement thing. She's still doing test shoots. She recently got scouted by a MAJOR huge agency and she would probably like to move to them. however will she get a bad rep? what should she do as the small agency have been so nice to her? should she go and miss out on the opportunity? also will the small agency make her pay for the test shoots etc?

reply asap!x
Well, getting out of an agency is actually not a big deal as long as there aren't liabilities to the agency she's signed to at the moment.
Otherwise it depends on the agency.
Did she signed a contract or just an "agreement"?
In the most cases it's possible, well, this happens quite often, I've never heard of an agency that insisted on payment in like an aggressive way.
She should take the chance.

16-10-2009
windowshopping

Does anyone have a list of the top London modelling agencies?

Also i've just turned 18, is that too old for starting modelling?

16-10-2009
V.I.P.

Fairhurst, these are cool agencies based in London

Bookins
#
D1
#
Elite
#
First
#
FM
#
IMG
#
Indepedent
#
M and P
#
Models1
#
NEXT
#
Premier
#
#
Select Models
#
Storm
#
Union
#
Viva
#
Zone

16-10-2009
V.I.P.

^ good list, I secont this
just one thing though, Independent doesn't exist anymore, but people from this agency founded Tess 1 or 2 monthes ago

16-10-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
Well, getting out of an agency is actually not a big deal as long as there aren't liabilities to the agency she's signed to at the moment.
Otherwise it depends on the agency.
Did she signed a contract or just an "agreement"?
In the most cases it's possible, well, this happens quite often, I've never heard of an agency that insisted on payment in like an aggressive way.
She should take the chance.

I just asked her, she said it said on the top of the forms that 'it was no a contract, but a agreement'.when you say liabilities what does that mean? also test shoots aren't charged to the model right? personally i heard that agencies dont charge photographers as they do it for their portfolios and models don't get charged either but i wanted to check, in case my friend decides to leave her agency and they try asking her to pay back all the test shoot fees. if there are any. thanks for all the help!

16-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
personally i heard that agencies dont charge photographers as they do it for their portfolios and models don't get charged either but i wanted to check
That makes sense to me, it might be that Good luck for your friend's modeling career

16-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
I just asked her, she said it said on the top of the forms that 'it was no a contract, but a agreement'.when you say liabilities what does that mean? also test shoots aren't charged to the model right? personally i heard that agencies dont charge photographers as they do it for their portfolios and models don't get charged either but i wanted to check, in case my friend decides to leave her agency and they try asking her to pay back all the test shoot fees. if there are any. thanks for all the help!
By liabilities i actually mean customary deductions pay tests, costs for traveling & setcard prints etc. But well since your friend wasn't push in any way and it was just an agreement, it should be pretty easy to leave and to avoid these cost (cause they seem not to be archived).
Good luck on her and tell us how this story goes on

16-10-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
y i heard that agencies dont charge photographers as they do it for their portfolios and models don't get charged either but i wanted to check, in case my friend decides to leave her agency and they try asking her to pay back all the test shoot fees. if there are any. thanks for all the help!
That depends of the test, basically, there is 3 categories

-the photographers with not much experiences really in need in pics, they work for free, and have no choice to choose the girls they want to test, these test are of course free for the girls, but obviously the quality is random, that sytem is not much used by big agencies who usually prefer tp pay to be sure to get quality.

-The photographers who has already a bit of reputation, but who are not yet at a level they can ask money for test (exemple Maxim Repin, Chadwick tyler...) at that level, they accept to work for free generally only for girls they are interested to test, and usually they will charge to ask payment if images are used for something else than book, for exemple show card... so in some case some money can be charged to the girl.

-The photographer who will not just test for free, usually big agencies always work with 1 or 2 photographers that they pay for test, so these test sessions are always charged to the girl.

16-10-2009
tfs star

when measuring the waist, you measure the smallest part of the waist right?

16-10-2009
rising star

The local agency I went to the other day wants to rep me. This brings a lot of things I have to balance, college, normal work, now this possibly if I'm any good.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
That depends of the test, basically, there is 3 categories

-the photographers with not much experiences really in need in pics, they work for free, and have no choice to choose the girls they want to test, these test are of course free for the girls, but obviously the quality is random, that sytem is not much used by big agencies who usually prefer tp pay to be sure to get quality.

-The photographers who has already a bit of reputation, but who are not yet at a level they can ask money for test (exemple Maxim Repin, Chadwick tyler...) at that level, they accept to work for free generally only for girls they are interested to test, and usually they will charge to ask payment if images are used for something else than book, for exemple show card... so in some case some money can be charged to the girl.

-The photographer who will not just test for free, usually big agencies always work with 1 or 2 photographers that they pay for test, so these test sessions are always charged to the girl.

but if the test shoots are going to be charged to the girl, why don't the agency tell the girl? lets just say she didnt know anything about modelling how is that fair!?thats so crooked

17-10-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
but if the test shoots are going to be charged to the girl, why don't the agency tell the girl? lets just say she didnt know anything about modelling how is that fair!?thats so crooked
Modeling is no different than any other business legally speaking.
All depends of what is signed and what it says.
If she signed nothing which says that money spent by the agency must be pay back to them, so the agency has no way to ask her money.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling