How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-02-2013
windowshopping

I am considering sending my photos to an agency soon, since I'll be out of a job in seven months due to a big transition in my life and I figured why not!

Right now I live relatively close to the city. However, it just so happens that that big transition is college. Is it possible to maintain a job like this and live three hours from NYC/attend school? Would agencies be willing to sign someone with this situation?

09-02-2013
V.I.P.

As long as you can get there within a few hours notice ...

You'd have to prioritize modeling over college ... and go where and when they send you to casting calls and jobs ... which can come up suddenly, sometimes. If you started to turn down things because you had a class or something going on at school, they'd soon drop you. Their priority is to get thier models working so they can make money and they won't waste time on models who are "iffy".

Last edited by BetteT; 09-02-2013 at 11:59 AM.

09-02-2013
windowshopping

Just like any job really! But I'm also assuming that if I'm signed at all I'd be signed at a small place and get work relatively sporadically. Or perhaps I could find an agency in the city at which I'm attending school. Really just exploring my options. Especially for something more exciting than work-study. Haha!

07-03-2013
front row

So what factors make a model a great model?

08-03-2013
V.I.P.

Mostly bone structure, I would say. Of course standard model height and size is pretty much a given too because you have to fit in the clothes .... but the face trumps that (example, Kate Moss who is short). And the face needs to be quirky and distinctive ... recognizable .... to be special ..... or she/he just blends in with all the other models.

Unfortunately ... that's not something you can change, other than by surgery. So you either have the look they want ... or you don't.

Last edited by BetteT; 08-03-2013 at 10:11 AM.

08-03-2013
front row

Oh nono I didn't mean appearance, I mean like modelling abilities like poses and expressions that sort of thing. I know personality plays a part but I was meaning like some models you look at and they make incredible poses, expressions and take direction well, that sort of thing. It's hard to explain. I was just wondering how can a model excel in what she does?

08-03-2013
V.I.P.

^
^ I agree on all accounts, except for that I must say I don't think the bone structure is something surgery can get..

08-03-2013
V.I.P.

And I also want to add that it's falling into the right timing as well. The models who were big two decades ago would not have made it now and vice versa.

08-03-2013
V.I.P.

Modeling "abilitiy" is not a factor that they consider when you are trying to get repped by an agency .... if that is what you want to know. It's always about how you look, first and most importantly.

"Great Models" have "THE look" ... it's pretty simple. Not so great ones .... just work but never become famous or rich.

My point is ... that if you don't have the look (the current look that they like, as fashionkitten says) ... it doesn't matter how good you can pose or walk ... the modeling skills won't help you get signed. That's why modeling "schools" are basically a rip off.

But .... if you do get repped, then you will be expected to dig in and learn everything you can ... they will want you to practice, practice, practice (test shoots) and to get feedback from your agent, and to use that feedback to get better. And attitued is very important ... when you get this feedback and also when ou go on casting calls, and when you work for clients. You will be expected to keep smiling no matter what and to do exactly as you are told. This is called "developement" ... a normal stepping stone for newly represented models (new faces/in development). Your agent will coach and guide you.

Last edited by BetteT; 08-03-2013 at 03:24 PM.

20-04-2013
V.I.P.

I have been told a thousand and one times "You should be a model" or "Wow you really should model!" by random people on the street/friends/family etc. much to my awkward distress. But I feel like there is a point where people look past your physical features and only at height/body-type and think "model". I'm 6'1, ***Edited*** , but I never ever thought that I could be a model, I'm not the most secure person on earth but one time, my friend (a girl) and I decided on a whim to send photos of ourselves to a few different NYC agencies. I received a few rejections and a few no-responses. I didn't have my hopes up or anything. And I realized that people in the fashion industry will have completely different views of you than people who see you in the street will. Those people will want to see how you translate in printwork/catwalk, while people on the street just see a tall figure. I think that is something that people who wish to become models have to realize, because one or two people on the street tell you, you are gorgeous, does not mean you should rush out immediately and try to become a model, it takes so much more than (externally and internally). I hate to sound like a pessimist right now but I feel like I speak the truth (somewhat). It is completely different to be approached by a random grandma in Walmart than by a model scout from a reputable agency.

Question: what are the odds you call an agency and tell them your height/stats/hair color, and they sound interested, knowing that they receive floods of emails/photos from aspiring models everyday? is it more efficient or will they not even consider that?

Last edited by BetteT; 21-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
21-04-2013
V.I.P.

You are soooo right about what the agencies are looking for, as opposed to what grandma on the street likes to see. Agencies are looking for something specific and that depends on their market, their clients and who they already have as models.

Regarding your question: They need to see you or your pics ... telling them your stats doesn't tell them anything that they care about this early on. Stats are pretty standard ... so almost every person who is interested in being a model will be pretty close to that standard. After that, it's all about how you look in photos and then in person. So if you call ... they will just tell you to send pics ... which doesn't mean they are "interested" or that you have a fighting chance.

The most "efficient" way is to drop in at their open calls (usually one day a week for a couple of hours ... they will look at anyone who walks in) .. because you will get immediate feedback ... yes or no. If it's no (and it usually is, so you have to have to be able to hear that, but if you are going to be a model, this is something you will hear an a regular basis, so you must get used to it) ... you might get some advice regarding toning up, seeing another agency who likes your type, or any other little tidbits. That won't happen often, but it could be helpful in determining if you might still have a chance anywhere in this biz.

Then, because an agency's needs change as they loose models and get new clients, it's good to repeat it every 3 to 6 months ... just in case they now need someone of your "type".

Last edited by BetteT; 21-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.

21-04-2013
front row

Reapply every 3-6 months to the agency?

21-04-2013
V.I.P.

Yes ... go to their open calls or resubmit photos if you can't walk I ... until they tell you to stop.

22-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Yes ... go to their open calls or resubmit photos if you can't walk I ... until they tell you to stop.
I know there are online applications too that you fill out some details and send photos but when they reply it is either come and see us or sorry you are not the right look. I know you can keep reapplying to them, the agencies I know can say keep trying also. I just didn't think that after a rejection you could keep trying. Good idea to do it after 3-6 months rather than do it every week or two for example. Giving it some time, do you think the looks they are searching for change every 3-6 months roughly?

22-04-2013
V.I.P.

What they are looking for can change daily or it might not ever change if you do not have the look that they like. However if you pound them with pictures or show up every week you will just irritate them and you don't want to do that or they will never talk to you. But you don't want to give up right away because sometimes things do change .... unless everyone is telling you that you are just not suited to modeling at all. So .... every 3 to 6 months keeps you in the loop, but it doesn't come across as annoying.

Last edited by BetteT; 22-04-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling