How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2014
windowshopping

Thanks for answering me
Well i though too i was too short but searching in agencies website i could see models more shorter then me, i can see guys less angular than me and more simple look.

I'll try to take some pics and send to a lot of agencies to wait for what they say!

16-03-2014
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
No I'm not considering web modelling. It doesn't sound like real modelling.
It isn't.

It's pretty much online prostitution: you're paid to perform sexual activities or to engage in fetish play / role play with clients.

However, some good knowledge of modelling is most certainly an asset to webcam work and will strengthen your success: knowing your good angles, having strong understanding of light, etc, but a wannabe fashion model going into webcamming would most certainly be let down if she's thinking it is in ANY way similar!

Korshunova.Roslyakova.Kershaw.Ellingson.Farkullina.Onopka.Horst.Tretter.Celaya

10-12-2014
front row

I've thought about hand modelling, but it sounds really stupid. But it looks easy. I'm too short and imperfect to be a fashion model, but I always get compliments on my hands

10-12-2014
V.I.P.

It's not a bad idea but it's not easy.

To become a hand model, it's the same process .... build a portfolio, then send your pics to agencies that rep parts models and try to get interviews until one offers to represent you. You also need to live in a city where they shoot ads and commercials. So, L.A., NY, Chicago (maybe Miami during their season) would be the US cities where you would probably find work.

Here's a Wiki link ... with some good advice about the requirements and the steps to take: http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Hand-Model

Last edited by BetteT; 10-12-2014 at 07:11 PM.
17-02-2015
windowshopping

i got scouted when i was 11...my mother wouldn't let me go, she thought it wasn't legitimate, that it was ed prostitution...i ended up never modeling...ended up in library technology instead....go figure. sometimes people joke im a model though...i forgot all about it...i got scouted so many times...oh well.

18-02-2015
front row

^ Maybe you could give it a go now if you wanted to!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnosigns View Post
i got scouted when i was 11...my mother wouldn't let me go, she thought it wasn't legitimate, that it was ed prostitution...i ended up never modeling...ended up in library technology instead....go figure. sometimes people joke im a model though...i forgot all about it...i got scouted so many times...oh well.
Give it a try. Who knows what will happen?

18-02-2015
tfs star

How to become a model?

If you a model material, you will be scouted unless you live in some incredibly remote part of the world...and probably even then. So if you haven't been scouted by the age of say 19, you are most likely not model material.

18-02-2015
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
Hi,

I have been looking at some comments I saw recently made my models on how they worked hard to get signed to agencies with portfolio work, taking a year or such and some of them say that they paid a photographer, like a good one to help them get good pictures for their portfolio in order to secure bookings and paid jobs. I know there are good photographers including some in London that test with models from bigger agencies such as Storm and Elite, etc and they do offer packages of shooting model portfolios, obviously it helps them make a living. What do you guys think, some times it is good for a model to invest into portfolios in order to gain exposure and good portfolio images which may increase her chances of getting signed?

Also sites such as Models. com where Lindsey Wixson was supposedly discovered by Steven Meisel, not sure if this is true but they only allow 3 photos on free membership, did she get discovered on polaroids or portfolio images, remember she already had experience from Vision and local modelling beforehand. Do agencies actually look on these sites such as Models.com, ModelManagement.com and Models-connect. I've heard of models who actually had memberships making investment and using these sites to become discovered by agencies or submit portfolios through. Are these sites good ideas?
I work in casting. Do not waste your money. Legit agencies do not care about the quality of your portfolio when deciding whether to sign you. All that matters is your look. Have a friend snap some good digitals of you makeup free and email them to an agency. That's all you need.

19-02-2015
windowshopping

I'm 30 years old, notwithstanding one could say I look much younger (I get that a lot). Have been to modeling school at 14 - never had a portfolio, I'm petite, but my measurements are very harmonic and my face isn't that bad, my skin is very healthy, so is my hair. I really would like to give it a try, but my lifestyle/job is, somewhat, getting in the way, at the very moment. I still consider signing with some agency - in a near future

19-02-2015
V.I.P.

To be honest ... if you are over 20, it's probably too late for fashion modeling (most models no longer work after they are about 25). and If you are not at least 5'9" .... they probably won't be interested anyway.

But ... there is something called "commercial modeling" ... which is not fashion modeling, but more about being in ads and commercials to sell some other kind of product (cars, cell phones, panty liners, cereal, health insurance, etc.). It's akin to acting. Height and age are factors, but not a problem, because in commercial modeling they just want attractive but "average" people to be in the ads. The look for certain "types" and if your agency thinks you have the look they might want, they send your out on a casting call to see if you can snag the job.

So, if you are serious and have a bit of an acting background, seek out commercial agencies in your area and submit you photos and see what happens. You must be available to go out on go sees and casting calls at a moment's notice when your agency calls in order to compete for those jobs. So, having a very flexible "real job" is essential.

Last edited by BetteT; 19-02-2015 at 10:31 AM.
2 Weeks Ago
windowshopping

to anyone who's interested in being a model but has scars..i met an african american model once who had scars but was still a somewhat famous actor on television...so don't worry still apply if you have scars they may take you in.

1 Week Ago
scenester

hey all, have you heard that there's a new mobile app out there trying to give young models a general idea about modeling? it's called Modelhelp and I guess it works for iPhone and also for Android and it is free.

1 Week Ago
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnosigns View Post
to anyone who's interested in being a model but has scars..i met an african american model once who had scars but was still a somewhat famous actor on television...so don't worry still apply if you have scars they may take you in.
Yep, anything can be covered in make up or edited out in photoshop too! I have a scar from chicken pox on my forehead, like it just looks like a tiny hole and it used to be edited out!

And some agencies do have age requirements in their "Become a model" application and it's usually 15-21 for girls and 16-20+ for guys.
But if you are female and over 21 but still think you have potential, apply anyway. Apply to as many agencies as you want, shop around.

As far as height goes, if you are 13/14 and under 5'8" they might take you in and see if you grow and build up your portfolio because someone might take interest in you and suddenly your height won't matter so much anymore. But it's usually 5'6" or 5'7" at the least for the younger girls.

Among any male models I have met, 5'10" is the very shortest and they are pretty rare. 6'0" and up is the best.

And a lot of fashion models turn to commercial modelling when they stop getting work so that market is quite competitive too!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read