So You Want to Be a Model? (Part #2). Read post #1 before posting. - Page 55 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-05-2015
V.I.P.

5'4" to about 5'6" and size about 00-2 is considered the range for "petite" models. It's just like regular models ... way taller and slimmer than average.

There is almost no market for petite models, so it's not likely you will find any agencies that use them.

Even "plus sized" models are usually between a size 8 and 12 and are usually at least 5'10" tall, and that really is nowhere near being a real plus size (plus sizes start at a "14,plus" which is actually close to a regular 16 with more hip and arm room). It's a shame that companies don't use real sized people as models, but they don't.

Last edited by BetteT; 27-05-2015 at 10:54 AM.
28-05-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnosigns View Post
what is the height and size for petite modeling? or most importantly height? I wanted to model but I couldn't find an agency in my city that accepts petites.
Both Bicoastal MGMT has a board for Petite Models. You can only see the Petite board of Bicoastal MGMT via Modelwire (there are 2 models signed) and not their main site.

IIRC, Models International (appears to be defunct) as well as T.H.E Artist Agency had Petite boards.

I am no Anna Wintour, so I will let BetteT comment on whether Bicoastal MGMT is agency you want to approach.

30-05-2015
V.I.P.

I have not heard of Bicoastal ... but when I went to their "About" page, I see they rep "fit models" ,.... something that might work, and something I forgot about ... so good research!!

A fit model works for a designer in their offices to help them get the right fit on clothes that they are about to produce. So a real petite person would be needed ... one who matches their sample size requirement perfectly. So, if this agency reps some designers that have production offices in a city near you, where you can get there on your own ... they might be interested in you. I think all you need to do is to ask them what are the size requirements they need ... and if you are close they will probably have you come in and get measured.

When a designer needs a fit model, they specify exactly the measurements that they need, including upper arm and thigh measurements. Any model who actually measures that, will get the job. It's good work, because as long as you stay exactly that size, they will keep hiring you each season for the new lines.

They don't care what you look like ... they only care about your specific measurements. You won't have any profession photos taken (maybe some Polaroids just for their use)and there is no real runway work, either. It's all done in house. What they will want you to do is to try each thing on, let them see how it looks and they will ask you questions about fit ... such as "Is it too loose or too tight in the arms? How does it feel at the waist? and so on. So you need to be able to express yourself well and to have some stamina for trying things on.

Last edited by BetteT; 30-05-2015 at 05:04 PM.
31-05-2015
fashion insider

^ Don't some fit models exclusively walk for the designer in their show?

There's always commercial modelling but really, anything under 5'9" for high fashion modelling is extremely slim.

01-06-2015
V.I.P.

Fit models don't walk in shows ... at least not that I have ever seen with the big name designers. That is because fit models are the size and height of the average customer and not picked for their facial features/"look". Whereas, models for runway and editorial ("fashion models") are greatly exaggerated in height (much taller) and size (much smaller) and usually have a much edgier look than the usual person ... to suit the image that the designer wants for his line.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-06-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read