How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-11-2009
front row

Hi!
A scout from muse approached me today and gave me her card, asking to call in later. i found the website: http://www.musenyc.com/, but i was wondering, what kind of reputation does muse have and what might calling in entail?

24-11-2009
V.I.P.

Muse is one of NYC's best boutique agencies! Give it a try!

24-11-2009
rising star

MUSE - wow, they are very good !

windowshopping

I've been scouted a couple of times before and have been told by my photographer friends that I should try modeling, but the thing is I don't have the best skin. I have a small area on my cheeks that's plagued with hyperpigmentation from acne that I (thankfully) no longer get aside from the occasional zit. My question is, I feel like if I don't attempt to do modeling NOW then I think I'm not gonna have another opportunity. Would they really care about the state of my skin if I have "the look?"

27-11-2009
V.I.P.

^ Well, if you already got scouted several times - I'd defenitely give it a try Skin is something you can maintain and improve. And, like you said, if you have "the right look" - it shouldn't be limiting your chances too much.

V.I.P.

If they like your look they will most likely insist that you start seeing a dermatologist and maybe even wait to sign you until they are assured that your skin problems are taken care of. In modeling, it is very important that it be in the very best condition possible.

Here is why: Time is money to your clients, so taking longer in the makeup chair and keeping a whole crew who is being paid just standing around is not a good thing ...it can cost them thousands of dollars an hour.

Makeup can hide pigmented areas ... so as long as it's not too bad, the makeup artist can deal with it quickly. But, if you have pockmarks and scars ... you will need to get rid of those, because makeup cannot hide them. And it would cost the client even more money in post production photoshopping.

Clients want models with good skin ... for that reason ... money.

So ... yeah .... go in and see some agencies and see what they say. And start to see a dermatologist ASAP to see what he can do to improve your skin.

27-11-2009
windowshopping

^ thanks you two :] yes my skin isn't awful with scars it's just old hyperpigmentation, and i will definitely give it a try soon

28-11-2009
trendsetter

Hi everyone, i have a concern. I've always wanted to do modeling, but never had the self confidence to really pursue it. However, recently i was scouted to be apart of a campaign. The scout took my polaroid on site and the execs of the company that was doing the campaign chose me out of like 400 + people (including models that were signed to agencies) so i was really stoked about that. Now my question is should i pursue modeling(even though i really want to)? Im 19, ***edited****

Oh, and i also live in Los Angeles. Lastly, what is the best way of going about sending my pictures, thru mail, email, or both?

Last edited by BetteT; 28-11-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Removing stats, see thread rules.
28-11-2009
V.I.P.

Best is to go to open calls in L.A. to start with. If they like you, you will know right away. Try some of the better agencies for that like Ford, Wilhelmina, Click ... they all have offices in L.A.

BTW .... I have removed some of your post, so you know. Weight and size may not be discussed anywhere on tFS, per the Community rules. And aspiring models may not post stats in this thread for advice or critique ... see post #1.

Last edited by BetteT; 28-11-2009 at 03:12 PM.
28-11-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Best is to go to open calls in L.A. to start with. If they like you, you will know right away. Try some of the better agencies for that like Ford, Wilhelmina, Click ... they all have offices in L.A.

BTW .... I have removed some of your post, so you know. Weight and size may not be discussed anywhere on tFS, per the Community rules. And aspiring models may not post stats in this thread for advice or critique ... see post #1.
Ok thank you very much!! And im so sorry about posting that, i'll be more careful next time and read the first post . But i will do that, I'll go to some open calls and see what happens. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me.

29-11-2009
front row

My mother agent doesn't want me to go to NYC. I have been signed with them for a year and there is literally NO work where I live. Do you think I should pursue NYC on my own or wait until my mother agents approval??

29-11-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjacobslvr View Post
My mother agent doesn't want me to go to NYC. I have been signed with them for a year and there is literally NO work where I live. Do you think I should pursue NYC on my own or wait until my mother agents approval??
Why they don't want you to go to NY ? Is there any reason ?
The question is, when they are going to approve ?
I'd say, go on your own and try your luck there.

29-11-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
Why they don't want you to go to NY ? Is there any reason ?
The question is, when they are going to approve ?
I'd say, go on your own and try your luck there.
Well they think that I am not developed enough... Even though I have done plenty of shoots, done runway, and all the photographers that I have worked with have said that I should go to NYC... So I am not sure what to do..

29-11-2009
V.I.P.

How about Miami for this season? if it's not too late. It's a great place for models to get work in the winter for development ... although work has slowed down everywhere. Of course, if you are not 18 you will probably need a parent in tow ... so they need to be on board too.

29-11-2009
front row

that could be a possibility. but i would need a parent to come along.. we shall see.. if anyone else has any advice for me please post it!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling