How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-11-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjacobslvr View Post
Well they think that I am not developed enough... Even though I have done plenty of shoots, done runway, and all the photographers that I have worked with have said that I should go to NYC... So I am not sure what to do..
Opinions are divided, I guess. I don't think anyone can answer your question, it's your own decision. Maybe it's just a matter of time until they think you're ready for it and soon enough they will approve ?

29-11-2009
front row

ya you are probably right. i will wait and see..

30-11-2009
front row

what should a girl do if she has heard (all her life) that she should be a model? the problem is that this girl as almost 170. and is considered too short by an agency she once visited. should she continue on looking for an agency or should she give up? she has the face , but not the lenght.
anyone?

30-11-2009
V.I.P.

I think she should definitely keep looking for an agency

30-11-2009
scenester

So at the moment I am looking at agencies/websites for agencies and I was curious if I don't get accepted or the agency just isn't interested in me would the agency give me a call or anything to let me know they aren't interested or do they only call you if they are interested in you?

30-11-2009
front row

Usually they only call or contact you if they are interested. You might get a standard, "thank you for your submission" email if you submit online but that's about it. If they are interested, they may ask for additional pictures for further scrutiny or ask for a meeting. Just followup with any requests and watch out for any scams (read www.newmodels.com). Good luck!

scenester

Thank you ModelMommy =)!

01-12-2009
scenester

I have another question =). Is it okay to apply to more than one agency at a time? I plan on applying to some big and small agencies. Also, is it difficult to change agencies if for some reason you are unhappy at your agency?

01-12-2009
V.I.P.

You should always apply to as many agencies as you think you might be suited for. Most will decline anyway ... you will be very lucky if one has an interest.

You will sign a contract if they actaully "sign" you ... so getting out of it can be difficult. You need to understand what is in the contract, before you sign anything. If you are under 18, you must have a parent or guardian sign for you. Most of the time, if they are not finding you work, they will let you out of the contact so you can move on. There is no benefit in keeping you there ... they don't make any money either, if you are not working. But they don't have to release you until the contract is up (no matter what the say ... verbal contacts take second place to a written one). So something needs to be written in about you being able to leave ir they don't get you a certain amount of work within a reasonable time ... something like that.

If you don't actually sign a contract then you are at liberty to move on at any time or work with several agencies ... as long as none of them have had you sign a contract. Sometimes they do this because they just want to test the waters with you and see if there is any interest, before they actually sign you.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-12-2009 at 02:52 AM.
01-12-2009
trendsetter

When you send your pictures to a big agency (img, woman, etc) via internet:
How many time does it take to know if the agency is interested in you?

01-12-2009
V.I.P.

It's not a big deal to cancel a modeling contract, even at the large agencies here in Europe. I've never heard of a girl being sued because of leaving or deciding for another agency.
However, I don't know how the situation in the US is.

Kallu: I've no idea if Women & IMG sign girls originally?? Does someone know?

01-12-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallu View Post
When you send your pictures to a big agency (img, woman, etc) via internet:
How many time does it take to know if the agency is interested in you?
You apply to an agency, if they are interested, they'll contact you. You can't actually send pictures to Women btw, if you go to their website you'll notice that ... on the other hand with IMG you can: http://www.imgmodels.com/become.aspx?cityID=1

01-12-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyy View Post
what should a girl do if she has heard (all her life)
what "average" people think about a girl's modeling possibilities has just zero value, caus 99,9% of people on earth has just no idea about the real requirements.
when u work in this business, you hear everyday people telling you "i know a girl who can be model, i will introduce jer to you" and the girl come, and well...she can not be model

01-12-2009
scenester

Thank you BetteT and cologne_rocks =) also I have some more questions

1. If there is interest in me by an agency (hopefully there will be) what should I wear when I meet them? Should it be something stylish or really casual like a white tank and jeans?

2. Also, if there are pictures that are taken by friends which look professional would it be a good idea to bring them and have them as some test shot type pictures?

01-12-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
what "average" people think about a girl's modeling possibilities has just zero value, caus 99,9% of people on earth has just no idea about the real requirements.
when u work in this business, you hear everyday people telling you "i know a girl who can be model, i will introduce jer to you" and the girl come, and well...she can not be model
didi i write "average people"? no, i dont think so. so stop judgeing before you know anythig. peace.

Last edited by ohmyy; 01-12-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, #2, advice, career, getting started, model, modeling, post, posting, read