How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-12-2009
V.I.P.

1. Basics only. Jeans and a T is perfect because they need so see your body shape. They need to see you ... not the clothes, nor accessories nor makeup, either. Hair off your face.

2. Bring snapshots of yourself in basic clothes against a light colored, rather plain background in good idirect light. No flash, no sun ... in light shade is best. to be the most flattering to your skin. No on else in the picture. Full length, 3/4 length, headshot. They won't want to see fake or real test/pro photos ... again they just want to see you as you really look. If you don't hav pics like these, they will probably back you up against a wall and shoot some polaroids, anyway.

Write your name, address and all contact imformation on the back of each photo ... so they have it ... even if the photos get separated. And maybe your stats (bust, waist, hips, height, shoe size) ... but be truthful about that ... they will measure you again, if they are interested, anyway.

Last edited by BetteT; 03-12-2009 at 08:55 PM.

01-12-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyy View Post
didi i write "average people"? no, i dont think so. so stop judgeing before you know anythig. peace.
He is not talking about you nor judging you. He is talking about the modeling industry and how it works. And he is correct.

When he said "average people" he was talking about anyone who is not a booking agent... all the rest of us who don't work in an agency. He is saying that we do not know what an agency and their clients are looking for at any given time. That most of us don't know it when we see it. Therefore, opinions from people who are not booking agents just don't count.

It is a fact that most beautiful tall girls are often told that they should model ... but when they walk into an agency they soon find out that "beautiful" or "pretty" is not what the agent is looking for, at all. So anyone who hears those words "You should model!", from anyone except an agency, should not assume that they will be signed as a model. Pretty girls who hear this all the time should just take it as a compliment.

To know if you have what it takes or not, you must show yourself to lots of agencies and see what they say.

Last edited by BetteT; 01-12-2009 at 06:29 PM.
03-12-2009
scenester

Thank you so much for the help BetteT! Also, if an agency is interested in you how much time after applying will an agency contact you if they are interested?

03-12-2009
V.I.P.

There is no simple answer to that. The timing depends on if they need someone like you today (then you'll hear within a day or two after receiving your photos) ... or if they just sort of keep your info just in case because they like your look (you might hear from them later or not at all). The only sure thing is that if they just aren't interested, you won't hear from them at all.

That's why it's better to go into open calls ... you'll know something before you leave the office.

Last edited by BetteT; 03-12-2009 at 08:55 PM.
03-12-2009
scenester

Thanks BetteT =) you and everyone who's responded have been really helpful

04-12-2009
trendsetter

Thank you Filipe. So how can I contact Woman?
do I need a motheragency in my natal country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
2. Bring snapshots of yourself in basic clothes against a light colored, rather plain background in good idirect light. No flash, no sun ... in light shade is best. to be the most flattering to your skin. No on else in the picture. Full length, 3/4 length, headshot. They won't want to see fake or real test/pro photos ... again they just want to see you as you really look. If you don't hav pics like these, they will probably back you up against a wall and shoot some polaroids, anyway.
BetteT: basic clother?? jeans & t-shirt, t-shirt & skirt, a beautiful little dress??
and what about underwear/bikini pictures, are they necesary? I mean, I have to send the "basic clothes pics" with "underwear/bikini pics"?? or not???

Thank u.

04-12-2009
V.I.P.

Yes, you do need a mother agency. I guess you can contact them by phone, it's everything on their website, just go there and check

04-12-2009
V.I.P.

Kallu, applying at women without being signed exclusively at an agency located in your area is pointless and does just produce negative work. Believe me.
I know like 10 girls that tried to do this sort of things at Marilyn, Women, IMG & Supreme and one by one turned her down due to not being represented by a motheragency (which was not a excuse for anything cause all of them are represented by good agencies now).

For applying avoid to wear dresses cause they tend to alienate your body line. You better wear a tank top and show some leg (but no mini skirts or so).
Bikini pictures are not essential as long as the agencies you applied at doesn't require them.

05-12-2009
trendsetter

Thank you Filipe and cologne rocks.

why do they want girls with motheragency??
Sasha P. signed with IMG NY and she didn't have a mother agency. I mean, IMG is her motheragency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
You better wear a tank top and show some leg (but no mini skirts or so).
like short pants?? or something like this (i dont know how call it):
http://img.trendencias.com/2009/07/calle-1.JPG ???
trendencias.com

05-12-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallu View Post

why do they want girls with motheragency??
Just because there is a lot of practicle things to handle, for which in most case a mother agency is needed, and agency abroad prefer that way.
if underage... who deals with the parents, contract traductions... when maybe 80% of the models have parents who don't speak english?
Who will deal in the home country of the girl, visa, work permit and all documents needed to travel?
if the girl is still at school, when she is at home, who will check her measurement and regularly update snapshot to avoid that she arrives abroad to a direct booking job with 10 cms too much on hips?
who will deal with the school director to find a way to manage at best modeling trip and school?

and anyway,why a girl would prefer to avoid a mother agency? is an 16-18 girl has any the experience to sign work contract at her adventadge with big business companies like IMG or Women? does her parents can advise her in a field they probably have zero experience with?

After few years of experiences it is obviously different, also for girl directly near the bif agencies, it can be different, but well, fact is this business works with agencie / mother agencies and models, and it works well like that since modeling exist, so i guess overall everybody is happy of the system as it is...

06-12-2009
trendsetter

Thank you fritmayo

07-12-2009
scenester

Okay so I have some more questions =)

1. Does One Model Management accept polaroids sent to them?
2. What are some good smaller agencies (in NYC)? I want to send shots to big agencies but small ones as well and I am afraid I'll find a scam agency and not know.

07-12-2009
front row

Start with the top ten from Models.com. This isn't a business that you have to work your way up to the best so why not start there!

scenester

Thank you modelmommy! =)

I also was wondering what I should bring with me to open calls at agencies? (thanks to everyone for being so helpful =D )

08-12-2009
rising star

^^ Pictures.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling