How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-08-2009
rising star

So You Want to Be a Model? (Part #2). Read post #1 before posting.
This is Part 2 of a large ongoing thread. To see Part 1, go here.

Quote:
MODERATORS' NOTE

WARNING!
Be extemely cautious about anyone who approaches you and says the are a "scout". You should be alarmed if they approach you via a post or a personal message here at tFS, because we do not allow scouts to conduct their business here. We cannot verify anyone's identity or their profession, so if anyone approaches you here, you must assume that they are not legitmate and possibly dangerous.

THREAD POSTING RULES:

This thread is for asking about and sharing information about how one becomes an agency model ... how agencies work, how you get paid, what they are looking for. However ... we do not allow posting of personal infomation, stats,sizes, pictures, etc. for feedback about your suitability to be a model.

This thread is not to be used to promote yourself as a model, nor a place for scouting activities. Only agencies can determine your suitability to model and that is who you should share your information with.

We will edit and/or delete posts with personal information, stats or pictures and/or if you are asking for a critique.

Per our Community Rules, weight talk is not allowed in this thread, even if it is pertinent to your modeling career.

Related thread:The Truth about Modeling Expenses ... Who Really Pays?

Hey guys!
Does anyone know how many hours a model work in a week, say she/he is starting in the business? Also, what is her/his typical schedule (shows but most importantly agency time, castings, photoshoots). At what time does a working day start and end?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by BetteT; 15-04-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Adding Moderator's instrutions to thread.

31-08-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocktaildress View Post
Hey guys!
Does anyone know how many hours a model work in a week, say she/he is starting in the business? Also, what is her/his typical schedule (shows but most importantly agency time, castings, photoshoots). At what time does a working day start and end?

Thank you in advance
there is no anwser for that, all depends of the season, of the girl, of the agency and of the city...

a top new face starting in a top agency will actualy not be that busy; as usually they will start to push her first to few top clients, and send her almost only to go-sees or to requests, so just few meeting per day...

An average girl that agency try to push a bit in a all jobs possible can have more than 10 casting per day at high season, wich make makes very long day of work indeed...

After, for jobs all depends of the girl too, a girl booking 20 show during a fashion week will have a crazy week of work (but most have still energy for after show parties; so let's not worry too much... ) A girl just doing 3-4 show in a week will have a rather quiet week, and let's not forget that some girls unfortunatly dont book a single show, and if they are in town at that moment; it is almost a week off for them as during the shows it is rather quiet for other kind of jobs...

31-08-2009
V.I.P.

Yep ... it varies a lot. It all depends on what is happening on any given day ... there is no such thing as a "typical day" for a model. You schedule things with your agent, as they come up. If you have a good agent, who picked well ( meaning that you have the look that their clients want) when they took you on, you will be busy. If they chose the wrong face, and they don't have many clients who are interested in seeing you, then you might not be very busy, at all. Some girls work a lot, right out of the gate ... others, not much at all. Sometimes you won't have anything to do for days and sometimes you will be so busy, you won't get much sleep.

The go sees and casting calls are not paid ... but you need to go to as many as your agent can possibly drum up for you ... because most of the time, you won't be chosen. So, the more you are sent out, the likelier you are to be booked.

Photo shoots can be done any time (even at night), any day (weekends, hollidays), anywhere (your city, out in the country, half a day's drive away, another state, or country) ... and can last from as little as about 4 hours to more than 16 hours a day, for several days running ... so that adds even more uncertainty to your schedule.

31-08-2009
rising star

thank you very much guys
as for castings, do they take place more in the morning, afternoon or evening?

31-08-2009
V.I.P.

^ I think it's relative but from the models' videos that I've seen, they usually take place in the morning.

31-08-2009
V.I.P.

Both morning and afternoon ... rarely, evenings or weekends. Although that happens sometimes too, for smaller clients, who may be too busy during the work week. It's always up to the client, according to his/her needs. But most clients do it sometime during the normal work day. I was helping at a casting the other day, that was right across lunch hour, which I thought was odd ... but I'm sure she had a reason, probably her own schedule was too busy any other time.

08-09-2009
rising star

The girls are tied to their Blackberry where castings come throughout the day. A girl can start out with a typical day of 3-4 castings and then suddenly get sent to 2-3 more throughout the day. During show week the castings go into the night, as well as fittings. Sometimes there are jobs shooting on a Sat or Sun but not usually castings.

backstage pass

Is it possible to manage both -school and modelling? I noticed that many girls in the industry are around 15 like Jac, Auguste just to name fiew, Did they quit school?

12-09-2009
V.I.P.

^ Not they didn't, they do homework

12-09-2009
windowshopping

Homeschool? or day school and homework while modeling?

12-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionmiss View Post
Is it possible to manage both -school and modelling? I noticed that many girls in the industry are around 15 like Jac, Auguste just to name fiew, Did they quit school?
at a monemt there is no choice it needs to quit, or to take the risk to work just part time but it has some risk for carreer progress.

if u take auguste exemple, untill now she had only work in Japan (during school hollyday) , and 1 month in Milan for last fashion week. after that just few days off school for direct booking job. so in fact she almost missed nothing from school despite an impressive begining.

But when she will be 16 if she wants to go further and to make FW in all cities and all the jobs it provides after, of course school is not possible to keep.

12-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
at a monemt there is no choice it needs to quit, or to take the risk to work just part time but it has some risk for carreer progress.

if u take auguste exemple, untill now she had only work in Japan (during school hollyday) , and 1 month in Milan for last fashion week. after that just few days off school for direct booking job. so in fact she almost missed nothing from school despite an impressive begining.

But when she will be 16 if she wants to go further and to make FW in all cities and all the jobs it provides after, of course school is not possible to keep.
well...that must be very hard for such a baby to decide if she wanths to quit school for modelling or take a risk on her carieer.
but thanks for an answer.

12-09-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmodel View Post
Homeschool? or day school and homework while modeling?
Yes, homeschool I mean
There's models that do day school and homework while modeling as well, so it can be both. Although you can't go to school when you go working in other countries so that's why you do homeschool. I believe you have to do final exams at all the subjects in end of school year, at least that's what friend of mine that's modeling told me.

12-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
Yes, homeschool I mean
There's models that do day school and homework while modeling as well, so it can be both. Although you can't go to school when you go working in other countries so that's why you do homeschool. I believe you have to do final exams at all the subjects in end of school year, at least that's what friend of mine that's modeling told me.
I guess it might be different for each girl but I am sure not easy to stay focused on school while carieer is on roll and opposite

12-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionmiss View Post
I guess it might be different for each girl but I am sure not easy to stay focused on school while carieer is on roll and opposite

that all depends of girls. for some girls, they were already school disaster before to start modeling, so for that category...the choice is easy

If u take Aida Aniulyte, she was scouted at 15 years old, and refused all propositions to travel before to be 18 and to finish school.

homeschool very rarely work, it needs to be very very strong for a 16 years girl to take books and to study in evenings, in middle of a model appartment shares with 5 other girls who just used evening to get ready to go to party

i truly think, that for girls who wants to try it full, or like Aida A it needs to wait to finish school before to start modeling, or if u start younger you must be ready to quit school completly at a moment.

of course we talk aboit girls who reach a good level of success, for girls less successfull obviously it is not always needed.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, career, getting started, model, modeling