So ... Your Child is A Model ... Now What? Model Mom Support Thread. - Page 10 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
02-03-2009
V.I.P.

When Ali was 18, she went to Australia alone......This is what happened her first day there. Her call time for a photoshoot was for 6:00 am. She caught the subway very early to make it on time. When she entered a young man who had been out partying all night grabbed her and kissed her right on the mouth and then exited the train before she even had time to react. She got off the train and decided it was safer to take a cab. The cabdriver screwed up and took her to the wrong address and did a U turn in the middle of the street and wrecked the cab..... Ali decided to walk the rest of the way. She arrived at the shoot on time and went in to meet the crew. They all packed up to go on location and left the building....right outside,as they were leaving a man had a heart attack and they had to call for assistance. The ambulance came and they went on to the job site. It was in a warehouse of some sort and as the day progressed the heat factor kicked in...by the time Ali's turn came to be photographed in a long heavy dress...she stood up and passed out.
I hope this goes to show that anything can happen and it often does...had this been ali's first time out of the country as a 15/16 year old by herself I'm not sure she could have handled this type of situation without falling apart......as it was she had a good cry over the phone and went back to work the next day ready to make a new start.

The rest of her 6 weeks in Sydney were some of the best times...both money wise and fun wise that she ever had in her modeling career up till then.

The jist of all this is that after all the time we spent together when she was younger learning the ropes of this crazy business was good for her. She learned what to look out for and how to pick herself up after a bad experience and keep going. All this are things no 16 year old that I know is born with.

03-03-2009
rising star

My daughter just told me about 20 girls that were all sent to Milan hoping to get booked for Prada.... all sent back 24 hours later. I'm so happy she wasn't one of them - I think of all the disappointments that come along day to day. Getting their hopes up when put on a really good option and then not getting booked. Their booker isn't the one who is picking the girls back up again, it's us. Giving them the chance to vent, cry or rant and then giving them a pat on the back & confidence to keep plugging away. Over time they gain the maturity to accept the reality of the business but sometimes you see girls who can't adjust. Being far from home is hard and fortunately the internet can keep us connected when the miles are between us.

Last edited by LOVEITALL; 03-03-2009 at 08:32 PM.
03-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEITALL View Post
My daughter just told me about 20 girls that were all sent to Milan hoping to get booked for Prada.... all sent back 24 hours later. I'm so happy she wasn't one of them - I think of all the disappointments that come along day to day. Getting their hopes up when put on a really good option and then not getting booked. Their booker isn't the one who is picking the girls back up again, it's us. Giving them the chance to vent, cry or rant and then giving them a pat on the back & confidence to keep plugging away. Over time they gain the maturity to accept the reality of the business but sometimes you see girls who can't adjust. Being far from home is hard and fortunately the internet can keep us connected when the miles are between us.
You're right. They need their moms and I am a BIG advocate of that! Moms go with your girls and don't let anyone stop you. They need you to become superstars - without you, it's so much more difficult.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by janznote View Post
You're right. They need their moms and I am a BIG advocate of that! Moms go with your girls and don't let anyone stop you. They need you to become superstars - without you, it's so much more difficult.
I disagree with such generic statements. It's something which needs to be decided individually.

And BTW few new faces ever become "superstars" (your words) and being too tightly chaperoned doesn't necessarily help. Some models were dropped due to parents who systematically challenged every agency decision. Either you trust your agency and let them do their job or you don't, in which case it doesn't make sense to continue with that agency.

It's interesting to notice that North American POVs and European POVs somewhat differ. Maybe it's related to the fact that large cities tend to be perceived as less safe by Americans than by Europeans (it's too complicated and quite off-topic to explain details here).
Caring about your children doesn't mean to be overprotective or even paranoid. It must be done in a reasonable way. Parents need to be supportive in a responsible manner..

Unfortunately some models have some problems from time to time but in many cases girls who have problems would have problems even if they weren't models.

Again I disagree with those who say that a 16 year old girl is unable to work alone abroad. As I already mentioned it several times, it depends on each girl and it's by far not just a question of age. One girl can be helplessly lost even at age 20 while another one can do well at age 16.

Blunier

04-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunier View Post
I disagree with such generic statements. It's something which needs to be decided individually.

And BTW few new faces ever become "superstars" (your words) and being too tightly chaperoned doesn't necessarily help. Some models were dropped due to parents who systematically challenged every agency decision. Either you trust your agency and let them do their job or you don't, in which case it doesn't make sense to continue with that agency.

It's interesting to notice that North American POVs and European POVs somewhat differ. Maybe it's related to the fact that large cities tend to be perceived as less safe by Americans than by Europeans (it's too complicated and quite off-topic to explain details here).
Caring about your children doesn't mean to be overprotective or even paranoid. It must be done in a reasonable way. Parents need to be supportive in a responsible manner..

Unfortunately some models have some problems from time to time but in many cases girls who have problems would have problems even if they weren't models.

Again I disagree with those who say that a 16 year old girl is unable to work alone abroad. As I already mentioned it several times, it depends on each girl and it's by far not just a question of age. One girl can be helplessly lost even at age 20 while another one can do well at age 16.

Blunier
That's the problem - all parents are not "paranoid" - most agents are "paranoid" that parents will interfere with their decisions. And the fact is that yes all children are different but they ALL have parents who are ultimately responsible for them. So be it, if your 20 year old needs your advice or support - it's still your child and will be until they're 90. As parents, we're there for them at any age. I happen to be in the business and am a parent. I will always advocate for a parent to be in the business. And by the way, if it wasn't for some of my guidance - which has been right so far - my daughter would have fallen off the charts years ago.

I do agree that parents can be over-burdening to the agency but decisions are ultimately up to the parent whether the girl does whatever the agency wants at that age.

tfs star

It's not that whether the girl is capable of navigating a foreign city on her own. There are certain situations that just do not arise if the mother is in town with the young girl. (Yes, some 16 year olds really would prefer not to be chaperoned. Yet, those may be the ones who need it.)

Also, it is very hard for a young girl to refuse to pose in a particularly hazardous situation (I am thinking of Janz's story of Sessilee on the ice floe, but there are lots of examples), or to stop a makeup artist from damaging her hair. If she knows her mother is in town to back her up, it is a bit easier to protect herself.

The agent just goes on to the next girl if a girl gets messed up.

vogue.com/ Extreme Beauty Images

22-03-2009
rising star

Well the day came this past week.... she called it quits. Went in to the agency and explained why she was leaving to go to college in the fall. She needs a few months to regroup at home with family & friends, find a part time "regular" job and be a real girl again. It was a wonderful ride but the ride is over for her. All I can say is I'm glad it's on her terms.

V.I.P.

A window of opportunity opens for some girls who want to model and each person needs to decide how much of their time they are willing to give up to see if they can make a go of it in the fashion world. For some it's a wild ride right from the beginning but for most it's an up and down kind of roller coaster existence and there comes a moment when you realize it's time to move on. You'll never forget all the places you went and all of the unbelievable things you experienced but reality sets in and most girls know when it's time to pack it in if they want any kind of a future at all....and you will always be amazed at the fact that you were once a part of all that....it's all a fantasy world and it's good to check out before the ride is up. The best of luck to you both!

Last edited by model_mom; 22-03-2009 at 05:37 PM.
22-03-2009
rising star

Thanks model_mom,
Like I've told you before I appreciate your support. It has been an unbelievable 4 years but now it's time to move on. I wish all the girls & their mothers all the best as they make the choice to sign on with a modeling agency. It truly is an experience that has changed our life forever, but one that we have to move on from now. It is a fantasy world, but one that sometimes is too real! Good luck and thanks to you all!

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEITALL View Post
Well the day came this past week.... she called it quits. Went in to the agency and explained why she was leaving to go to college in the fall. She needs a few months to regroup at home with family & friends, find a part time "regular" job and be a real girl again. It was a wonderful ride but the ride is over for her. All I can say is I'm glad it's on her terms.
Best of luck to your daughter in her future endeavors!

26-03-2009
tfs star

The Imagist:
Quote:
As far as further trends, Sterling highlights "a sudden deluge of 15-and-unders" this season "Is it me or did the average age of the current crop of Newcomers drop precipitously this season?" pinpointing Monica "Jac" Jagaciak (born in 1994) in New York, 14-year-old Auguste Tomasuite (aka Auguste Abeliunaite) in Milan, plus 16-year-old Rose Cordero and 16-year-old Addison Gill in Paris. But because of their ages, "those break out girls found their Paris bookings severely curtailed": models in Paris under 16 are not allowed to work on Sunday or do anything past 8 PM on weekdays. Auguste didn't even attend Paris because of her age, and Rose saw the dissolution of a Givenchy exclusive because the show was on Sunday.
Also, Addison Gill's mother agent had her age as 14 in October, which was then changed when she won the V contest.

07-04-2009
tfs star

Hi tfsers, could anyone let me know if there is a thread for models looking for sublets in NY or other major fashion capitals.

A friend is going to NY to model but doesn't want to stay in the model appt???

07-04-2009
V.I.P.

This thread is where you may post an inquiry: Relocating? ... All About Housing, Rentals, Apartments & Roomates

08-04-2009
tfs star

Thanks Bette T!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
child, model, mom, support, thread