Sources for Production & Manufacturing - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2008
trendsetter

mmm.. see thats my dilemma. I was thinking of manufacturing in india, purely because I have contacts to have it done over there, and as I am able to get small amount made (thank god) it will work out a lot better since I have low starting capital.

I know that the conditions at the factory I was considering are fantastic, none of this child labour or what not, but I'm afraid that the connotations of manufacturing with those countries may jeopardise my labels image... =S

tfs star

I'm having the same prob. Being a young designer from Jamaica i have to make sure that I don't produce my clothing here as ppl will not buy it. Unless it has made in USA ppl won't buy it.

So saying this to say, the country of production does impact on how your line is viewed/received. And even though China seems to have gotten the contract for making everything (hahahahhaha) people are not expecting high quality goods from there...t-shirts maybe but not high quality brands.

scenester

Okay, don't get me wrong. I'm 100% behind domestic manufacturing, that's what I do. I don't help people move production off shore because I don't know much about it and domestic work keeps me busy.

That said, if you have crap coming from China, it's because the brand wasn't willing to pay for it to be done properly.

And let's just say it was the chinese contractor who loused it up, why did the brand ship it to stores if it was crap? Why didn't they return it? Trust me, they could have.

Don't blame China, blame the brand.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-04-2010 at 02:09 PM.
25-05-2012
windowshopping

Production in Mauritius?
Does anyone know good producers of the final product in Mauritius?

I hear Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss etc produce there, but I can't find details regarding the actual factories.

25-05-2012
windowshopping

A bit more research shows RL doesn't produce there anymore, but a lot of big brands still do. Any help finding a good factory would be much appreciated.

30-07-2012
rising star

Some brands seem to manufacture different product lines in different countries. I would like to manufacture one of my lines in China, because it's cost effective and they're simple pieces. And manufacture the more intricate/fashion stuff in the US.

Don't consumers appreciate the product first, then check the "Made in..."? It's not like China (and others) are incapable of manufacturing quality products. I'm a huge fan of globalization and I love that with a few clicks I can contact manufacturers/suppliers over the web.

windowshopping

Hi,

I am a merchandiser work in a Chinese garment factory.
What I'd like to say here is many people in China work very hard to improve quality and service. We know we are still far behind European suppliers,but we are picking up the pace. In my opinion, buyers' strict requirement is helping us improving
As a small/medium sized garment supplier, we really hope we can grow stronger,not only larger.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
manufacturing, production, sources