How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-10-2010
windowshopping

Study Abroad: CSM or LCF?
I am currently trying to plan my semester abroad for next fall and I know I want to go to London but I'm having trouble deciding whether I would rather go to London College of Fashion or Central St Martins.

I've heard mixed reviews about both that overall tend to favor LCF as a better experience, but there are also some great things said about CSM. Generally people have told me that you learn more and have more choice at LCF.

When I looked into the programs it seems to me like CSM says that their program is integrated so you take classes alongside their students (which sounds appealing to me), but that for fashion you have to enter into the first year of the course. LCF on the other hand seems to have a program that is more tailored for study abroad students but it looks like study abroad students are grouped together and take classes separately from the general student body (which is not as appealing). But I think LCF offers much more detailed information on their site about what classes you could take, some of which sound really interesting, like surface design, etc. whereas I can't find what classes I would be taking at CSM.

Basically I was wondering if anyone had experience with the study abroad programs at either of these schools or had any opinions on which would be better for me.

I'm looking for a fun, exciting experience where I will be able to work alongside the university's students and take classes that are interesting and unique, that I would not get a chance to take at my home school.

11-06-2011
fashion icon

Hi... so I'm now a museum studies major who's looking to study abroad in England. And so far I'm having little luck finding my major or something with a similar title and study to it. So anyone who understands the British schooling system want to help me out?
However I was thinking since I'm minoring in journalism with a concentration in history I could always take classes in those areas of study instead right? I'm thinking it might make it easier to find schools to apply to. So any other suggestions for schools with these subjects. My school has programs with Oxford, Cambridge, Nottingham, and Queen Mary Uni of London (just to name a few). So what do you think? Have any TFSers attended these schools? Thanks!

front row

Any Swedish people here? I'll (most likely) do a voluntary service in Sweden at the beginning of 2012, been to Stockholm before and I loved it. I'm German by the way.

I would like to know more about how good your final grades of school you to be for things that I'm interested in studying and also if really most of the studies only go 2 years and if I finish these studies will be able to compete internationally anyway? There's still the possibility of studying in Copenhagen in my mind...arg

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abroad, studying