How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-10-2006
scenester

Well, to be honest, it's hard to imagine let's say Nicolletta Santoro, working as "wardrobe assistant" while Patrick is shooting

25-10-2006
etre soi-meme

i dont even know who she is, sorry and what i posted above is not a rule ..

it's only that i've heard that some 'star' photographers are actually making the final choice when shooting, which doesnt leave too much space for a stylist, thats what i mean by 'wardrobe assistant'
star photographers can 'diminish' a stylist's opinion and of course, a star stylist can 'diminish' a rising photographer's statue, but basically, people choose to work only with who they like.

at the end , honestly, respecting co-creatives is the real key to a successful shooting , conflicting egos dont produce great work..

25-10-2006
V.I.P.

There is no absolute rule ... and I'd say 80% of the time is really is a collaboration ... with one party or the other more in charge of the concept. If a stylist and a photographer click ... then they often form a team and the team is hired for their joint vision because it takes both of them to create it. If a photgrapher does not like having a stylist and he's hired for his vision, then there's no stylist. And ... If there is an art director, he/she guides the vision and all the others, (stylist, hair/makeup and the photographer) must fall in step with the art director. No rules ... just what ever works with the people involved.

26-10-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
i dont even know who she is...
IMO she is a Goddess of STYLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
it's only that i've heard that some 'star' photographers are actually making the final choice when shooting, which doesnt leave too much space for a stylist
I got it offcourse.
What i'm actually trying to say, that with great style you may not need a genius photographer. But if style is bad, photographer (whoever it is) won't be able to create qualitative 'fashion story'

Anyway, i'm really appreciate you guy's took time to took part in this thread.
Thanks!!!

P.S. I'm shooting better, then speaking English. Sorry then

26-10-2006
etre soi-meme

i think you always need a genious photographer

also, thanks for nicoletta's link
not sure if shes a goddess but she's quite good

26-10-2006
V.I.P.

Ah ... I understand your point, Rasta.

But, like Lena, I believe that it always takes a great photographer. If the stylist has brought beautiful clothes but the photographer doesn't know how to light it to make it look beautiful or takes mediocre pictures, the images won't be that good anyway. And I have seen really good photographers take pictures of just mediocre clothing, but the photos were still fabulous. A good photographer is not only great at lighting, exposures, depth of field, framing etc. but has the "eye" to know what to do to make everything look better than it does in real life.

Of course ... the very best fashion stories, IMO, are those that have been produced by a great photographer and a great stylist, along with great hair and makeup, too. (And let's not forget a great model and great post production). It all has to be there to get a great image ... if one element is missing, then the whole thing misses the mark.

Last edited by BetteT; 26-10-2006 at 07:42 PM.
17-09-2007
PopWillEatItself

I was directed here from another thread.... and my new question is.... who is responsible for the post-production (which - I imagine - refers to photoshopping the shoot and adding any necessary visual effects)? And what I mean is, apart from who actually performs them, who decides if the shoot needs extra effects and what would these be?

17-09-2007
V.I.P.

The photographer, in most cases, directs the normal post work ( color adjustments the are necessary with digital, removing stray hairs, errant wrinkles on both clothes and faces, etc.) . But I believe that the issue of adding "visual effects" in post should have been discussed and agreed upon during collaboration ... before the shoot. But the execution of the concept is usually up to the photographer.

The exception is if the work was done for a client or commissioned by a magazine ... then the client/magazine editor has the say on final images. As Lena mentioned above, when she's representing her magazine, she directs what happens to the images in post in addition to the whole concept, selection of wardrobe and models, etc.

Last edited by BetteT; 17-09-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
photographer, stylist, working