How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-07-2004
etre soi-meme

softie, you are such a proffesional x

good luck with the film mehg xxx

25-07-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

good idea FC5....and totally agree with Lena. Softie, you have provided me with much assistance

25-07-2004
etre soi-meme

a polaroid/digi cam is a must for what they call 'racords' (sp)
when making sure that all details match between takes
this can be a huge headache when working with films..
usually there is a 'script' person that takes care of all the
continuation details, but i wouldnt hurt you to keep your own
track on shootings/wardrobe.
You can keep all polaroids marked by date/scene number
and play safe from there

*my little advice is to try and hook with one or more young designers to
supply you with the looks you need mehg, it will be for the best
both for the production and for the designers who can use the film
as Press material

*it's quite convenient and safe to always have 'double' identical outfits
for the leading role. Anything may go wrong and you absolutely need a
'back up' if possible. When i worked for film i had every look the main man was wearing by three, believe me, it saved the film.. actors can be sloppy.
Always ask them to remove shotting clothes while having a break, they
can ruin their wardrobe by spilling food on their clothes and then all shooting will simply freeze..

* not to forget, transparet 'plasic bag covers' for coats and dresses,
one cannot take too much care of wardrobe.. also add a 'dry clean' stain remover
(the ones that come in aerosols) and maybe a hairdryer in case something gets wet and needs to be dry in seconds.

*make sure you get absolutely no 'responsibility' for any garments/shoes etc
ruined during shootings .. all damage costs should be covered by the production.
Damage should be expected when shooting, so avoid all responsibility or else you may end up working for nothing -or even getting in debt from your own money

25-07-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

haha I'm already working for nothing, it's completely voluntary which works for me because a)I need volunteer work and I have no experience. Excellent rec's Lena, I'm supposed to meet with the people especially regarding warddrobe this week (was supposed to be on Friday but didn't work that way) so will bring all this stuff up. Most of the stuff (due to budget constraints) is going to be thrift shop finds. The only young designer I know in my city does only woman's clothing and this is an almost all male cast.

26-07-2004
etre soi-meme

i see mehg, i anycase, make sure you ask them to cover any costs regarding loss or damage, or else you will be paying from your pocket and we don't want this do we?

26-07-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Mehg,you might also want to get a Samsonite to carry everything

Apart from the already stated and obvious-definitely bring a good pair of scissors. Dressmaker's or Tailor's(these are a personal preference);just in case you might want to make some customizable adjustments.

30-04-2005
front row

****, where were you guys when I started styling!?? I must say that toupee tape and a clamps are my favourite, they go in my kit, plus in my pockets. I keep a lot of my kit stuff in my little rolly suitcase, and all the loose things (a-clamps, safety pins) in a divided containter with a large magnet per each type of item to keep things from slipping around. Softie pretty much gave ya the trade secrets, follow her list, and I'm more than positive you'll be fine.

Make sure the double sided tape is strong and sweat resistant though...nothing worse than falling tape! Make sure the production (or you) has a steamer, you'll go crraaaaazzzzy without one!

30-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

**tip...the toupe tape is called 'top stick'...
it comes in about 2" strips-not a roll...
and comes in at least 3 different widths...i have some of each...

tristan honey...please watch your 'french'.......ie.sh*t...thanks!...

05-05-2005
V.I.P.

great thread! I also use a toolman's belt that I got from Home Depot to keep things in while I am on set. The set bag tends to be off somewhere or not close enough when I need to do quick adjustments. It's pretty convenient.

Also, add some dulling spray to your list of things to keep in your kit. When working on movies sometimes garments can carry a sheen depending on the material and you may need to dull a tie or some shoes...this stuff has saved me.

About a kit...the kit is supplied by the costume designer or stylist and the production pays a kit fee for renting your kit from you. This way you aren't spending your own money on supplies that the production or shoot will use up. Never Never Never use your own supplies...if there isn't budget for expendables (what they are called) you need to stress that you need some expendables and make a list (other departments do that (grip & electric, makeup/hair, etc) so should wardrobe.

Another good plus for your kit is Shout Wipes...these things work wonders.

A good website for kit materials and wardrobe supplies is www.WardrobeSupplies.com they have lots and lots of supplies and they ship fast.

Another good thing to add to your kit is a tagging gun (for reapplying tags on clothing), and gaffers tape (this stuff doesn't have a sheen to it like electric tape does and it comes in a plethora of colors in case you need to cover a logo or something).

Oh, and the topstick comes in strips and rolls. I prefer the strips (they are easier to use, esp. when time is of the essence). Hope this helps.

Last edited by *Happiness*; 05-05-2005 at 10:32 AM.
06-05-2005
loaded and locked

so when the production pays to "rent" your kit, you're still buying this stuff all beforehand then kind of getting it reimbursed later? in japan here they have those home depot belts like mentioned above that are sold in VERY stylish shapes and colors because of the HUGE hair and makeup/nail/etc industry. they arent cheap, but it keeps us on our feet and we can still be stylish

06-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

those are some great tips happiness!...
i never used the dulling spray...i know that a lot of still-life stylists and food stylists use this stuff regularly....but i never thought of using it on clothes...

film is really different in some ways...it's interesting to hear what it's like...
ie-i never heard the term expendables...i just add 'stylist expenses' to my invoice at the end of the job...

and you can't charge a 'kit fee' for print...it's just part of your own business expenses...you can write it off at the end of the year on your taxes...

also never saw top stick sold in rolls...interesting...

thanks..

06-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi
so when the production pays to "rent" your kit, you're still buying this stuff all beforehand then kind of getting it reimbursed later? in japan here they have those home depot belts like mentioned above that are sold in VERY stylish shapes and colors because of the HUGE hair and makeup/nail/etc industry. they arent cheap, but it keeps us on our feet and we can still be stylish
Something like that. I have all kinds of stuff in my kit and if the production uses it....they replace it for me....things that get used up (like tapes, glue, thread, wipes, etc) are called expendables.

06-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
those are some great tips happiness!...
i never used the dulling spray...i know that a lot of still-life stylists and food stylists use this stuff regularly....but i never thought of using it on clothes...

film is really different in some ways...it's interesting to hear what it's like...
ie-i never heard the term expendables...i just add 'stylist expenses' to my invoice at the end of the job...

and you can't charge a 'kit fee' for print...it's just part of your own business expenses...you can write it off at the end of the year on your taxes...

also never saw top stick sold in rolls...interesting...

thanks..
Thanks. Yeah, stylist expenses is a good term too. But technically they really aren't "your" expenses...they are the supplies that the shoot used. You know? You're right about the kit fee for print...it just goes with the territory and you can write that stuff off....gas, etc.

Youre welcome.

24-05-2005
windowshopping

stylists' survival tips
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to protect shoes that you borrow for shoots... I know that the soles can be covered with tape to minimize scuffing but what about the insides?

How do you keep a model's sweaty feet from leaving marks?

Thanks!

26-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection

well, you can't really...
but it's not really an issue unless the inside is suede or a really light colour...

i've never had a problem...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kit, stylists, survival, tips, wardrobe