How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2005
windowshopping

I also got good advice from a former model to put those thin "light days" panty guards between the model's feet and the shoes but this would only work if they weren't open, otherwise you'd see them. They make them in black now too (at least in the European market).

27-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

wow..
that's funny...

27-05-2005
offline.

I always wondered how to protect my insoles from "light spotting" ...

27-05-2005
backstage pass

Obviously it's courtesy to keep things as clean as possible, but I'm sure the press office wouldn't mind - the model will only be in them for a few minutes anyway so I'm sure she won't do much damage.

If you're borrowing from a shop, and the shoes have to go back on sale, I'm not so sure I'd even bother borrowing them. No-one else on a shoot cares to ensure things are kept clean and damage-free, and you might be expected to pay full retail for any damage. If it's a studio shoot it should be OK, but definitely NO to a location shoot.

27-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
I always wondered how to protect my insoles from "light spotting" ...

05-06-2005
front row

Well you can tape the soles down, but it has to be very neatly done and with tape thats not too strong or else it'll ruin the soles too. As for the insides, yeah I just take em from the pr dept. and try to keep them clean...but the samples are there for us to use!

19-09-2005
windowshopping

thanks for the link the the wardrobe supplie place happiness. i get lots of inquiries about these types of things.

Anna Marie-
"I believe fashion is a canvas for all self expression"
28-11-2005
windowshopping

Useful tips
A must have is a steam iron... for those clothes that might put your carreer in line!

Various ribbons, embellishments, beads,
streaks of various fabrics that might catch your eye ( you can use them as scarfs, belts, e.t.c)
double sided tape for last minute falling hems
on your spare time hit second hand shops / charity shops / open markets for rare, cute jewellery to start building your own collection to carry with you to jobs. Always worked for me!!

Visit hardware shops, you never know what ideas u might come up with.

Most important tip? Give free reign to your imagination

01-12-2005
windowshopping

top stick tape
We just started carrying the doube stick tape, (referred to as top stick tape? i think, if not will someone please correct me) It works wonders. A couple of weeks ago we had the first AZ fashion week in ARizona and I was running around back stage at a few of the shows with these double stick tapes and they worked wonders........you all need to add this stuff to your kits.

Have a great holiday season everyone,
Anna Marie

Anna Marie-
"I believe fashion is a canvas for all self expression"
30-04-2006
rising star

Great link to shoes on a shoot...check it out: Stylebites.

12-05-2006
rising star

How-To: style clothes on flat surfaces (for magazines)
I'd really be interested in getting a dialogue started about styling clothing on flat surfaces for service ("shopping") pages. Like the "Shopping" section in the back of Vogue, or the section in InStyle where the outfit is layed out flat.

I do this sort of work all the time for magazines. I'd say it makes up 30% of my monthly shooting but there are still some burning questions I have.

#1: How do you get trousers to look good? When you lay them down the bunch up at the crotch--especially when you're using jeans.

Check out another thread (and soon to be more tips) about this kind of shooting here.

So do you style product too?

Last edited by zrzava; 12-05-2006 at 12:18 AM.
12-05-2006
etre soi-meme

moved this where it belongs...
i cant give you advice on this but i could ask a fellow stylist who works a lot with still life shootings and i'll get back to you

12-05-2006
V.I.P.

I've just started to get into off model styling and am trying to learn the tricks of the trade. So I don't know many of the answers yet ... but I'm an analytical thinker and can figure things out easily. I have not worked with pants or jeans yet ... so the following is just a guess:

In this instance, I would guess that they cut away fabric at the crotch ... the part that comes to a point and tack the front down so the seam doesn't show and it all lays flat. At least, that is what I would try. Of course, the sample would be ruined, but I would think the designer would OK it because they are getting free publicity.

Then we could start a new trend ... crotchless jeans!!

I'm going to post this in that other blog too ... just to see what the response, if any, is.

12-05-2006
rising star

Thanks Lena. Please, pleeeease get back to us with any info from your friend. I've been doing these product shoots for over a year and they still kick my butt. No one in my city is doing them any better. I feel like I need to go to NYC or London for a week to sit in at InStyle. (If anyone's got a friend who works there, or at another major style mag, please pass on the word.)

Bette--good suggestion but I'm almost always using samples taken from the showroom (which everyone else needs to use after me) or directly from the boutique floor, therefore any snipping would be a major no-no. Besides, even cutting some of the crotch fabric away, wouldn't help the problem because the big trouble comes as a result of trousers/jeans having so much fabric in the butt. They look great on a 3-D model but 2-D they're tough. Generally I find, the better the brand (i.e. with a better fit), the worse they look when layed out flat.

Another annoying thing about trousers is that even if you get a size 0, they can still look really "fat" in the leg.

I've got my tricks for shirts, jackets, etc., down okay. But pants are killing me!

I did look at several magazines and notices that each has its own style. While Elle lays everything "flat", it has depth. InStyle is "flatter". Same with the shopping pages at Vogue for the most part.

So much to talk about here! Thanks for the comments. Keep them comin'!

12-05-2006
V.I.P.

Well, once you are cutting, there's no reason not to cut the excess fabric off the butt too. But I do understand about them being samples for re-use ... but I'm wondering if the high end mags (like In STyle and Elle) are allowed to destroy a pair or two ... that they are given extras or something. No help if you can't do it, so it's a moot point, I guess. Haden't thought about legs looking fat ... so that's another challenge.

I have noticed that each magazine and each retailer has their own way of doing off model stuff ... so there may be more than one way to handle it. I'd be just as interested as you to know how it's done.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
kit, stylists, survival, tips, wardrobe