How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-05-2006
front row

Good luck!!! I'm sure that you'll do fine. Take lots of basics if you're doing a model test. The clothes shouldn't overpower the girl (or guy). Chiffon is nice. Something that shows off the body. Light on accessories.

Let us know how it goes!

28-05-2006
V.I.P.

Hi Stylebites! I've been talking about you (it's all good). Nice to see you pop in on this thread. I love your blog ... it's great to see our another viewpoint on styling .... lots to think about and I've learned a few tricks, too. Thank You.

28-05-2006
front row

Thanks Bette!!! I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the blog. Always feel free to stop by and leave comments there.

08-04-2008
windowshopping

This thread is terrific!

22-07-2010
windowshopping

This is an old thread, but I have a question. What do all of you wardrobe stylists put your kit IN?

I assisted a stylist in Los Angeles before I moved to the east coast and she used a large toolbox by FatMax. It was helpful because you didn't have to remove the top, it was automatic work space and you could see everything in it.

I am getting my own and can't decide whether to go her route, or train case, or soft luggage. Someone here said a Samsonite, but which one?

Please advise. What is the best choice?

22-07-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleGoddess View Post
This is an old thread, but I have a question. What do all of you wardrobe stylists put your kit IN?

I assisted a stylist in Los Angeles before I moved to the east coast and she used a large toolbox by FatMax. It was helpful because you didn't have to remove the top, it was automatic work space and you could see everything in it.

I am getting my own and can't decide whether to go her route, or train case, or soft luggage. Someone here said a Samsonite, but which one?

Please advise. What is the best choice?
Oops, forgot to ask about the Zuca too...

24-07-2010
V.I.P.

Soft luggage ... a big black soft rolling suitcase with a stiff frame for me. Expandable, with a couple of outside pockets. I usually have to carry more than that, so I can stack one more bag on top of that and roll them both.

I lay it down on it's back and open the top and lean the top against a wall, when I'm working and can pretty much see everything. I keep smaller bags inside, so I can take individual things out ... like my set kit, misc. styling tools and supplies, jewelry, scarves, sunglasses ... as needed. And I can remove what I won't be needing very quickly ... to lighten it.

In fact, I have a whole collection of bags, since each job is different. But the basic one is my big black bag. I carry my jewlery (all fake, of course) in a soft carry on bag. And the jewelry itself, is in zip lock bags, grouped by type and color, so I can find things easily. My shoes ... the ones for any particular shoot, go into whatever bag they fit into ... it varies so much. All the smaller bags are framless and soft ... so , if I have room, they fit right into the big one.

The big bag is stiff enough, that I can place it on the bottom of my portable rolling rack, and the smaller bags can hang on the ends, if I'm taking the rack, too. That way I can often take everything, except my steamer, all on the one rack.

I've studied Zuca, because it looks interesting. But I can't see any advantage other that being able to sit on it. A lot of money ... I can get really good suitcases and bags at stores like Ross for a lot less money.

Whatever you do, keep the case as light a possible ... there will be times when you will have to carry it and everything you brought up stairs ... several flights. And unless you have your own assistant, no one will usually offer to help. So .... the lighter the better.

Last edited by BetteT; 24-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.
25-07-2010
windowshopping

Thank you for your response Bette. You (and Softgrey) should have your OWN forum!

[[I just finished reading 72 pages of the Freelance Stylist advice in Careers forum and appreciate all the time you've taken to walk those of us who are nervous and less experienced through the ongoing process. I also appreciate your [sometimes brutal] honesty. Haha. Thank you- cheers.]]

25-02-2011
chaos reigns

I always keep lots of hairpins and safety pins in my tool/stylist box as well as lots of cheap nail polish in different colours and some nail polish remover ...

V.I.P.

Thank you, Style Goddess ... and welcome to the Fashion Spot!

20-10-2011
backstage pass

Hey what type of bag do you guys use to keep organized? Currently we are using a coach duffle but it has gotten too hard to find things quickly.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

21-10-2011
V.I.P.

I use a big rolling suitcase with a lot of pockets ....then I use smaller bags inside, which I pull out when I set up. One for jewelry, one for scarves & belts, a couple for shoes and one for misc styling needs plus extras to refil my set bag (extra tape, pins, clamps, measuring tape, cutlets, dress sheilds, and so on). And inside those bags ... zip lock bags, to catergorize things so I can find stuff easily.

That way, I can adjust quickly to meet the needs of any particular shoot .... by shifting around my smaller bags ... I don't have to separate out stuff .... just grab the zip lock bags I need and go.

Last edited by BetteT; 21-10-2011 at 10:13 AM.
26-11-2011
backstage pass

Thank you so much for sharing BetteT!!

rising star

I wish I could access the StyleBites blog. All the posts on here and the freelance styling thread that refer to it are really old, it now says 'permission denied: This blog is open to invited readers only' for me

Tags
kit, stylists, survival, tips, wardrobe