How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-04-2006
fashion icon

Harvard Summer School
Anybody going?

http://www.summer.harvard.edu/

I'm going next year, which is my last year of uni so I graduate one more semester after harvard summer school!!!

I find an elective I want to do:

CELT S-110 Introduction to Irish Myth and Folklore (31418)
Christian Ireland preserved and reshaped pagan myth and epic and native social structures and customs. Later Irish folk tradition reflects this complex inheritance. Students examine topics such as legends of goddesses and women saints; Ireland's sacred geography; deities, fairies, and heroes; and folk ritual.

(http://www.summer.harvard.edu/2006/c...celt.jsp#s-110)

01-04-2006
fashion elite

that sounds so so cool!!! I'm Irish and very into the history and culture, have been there once, but I was 8 years old so I don't remember a ton! I don't think that I can do a class like that b/c I'm only a high school student but thanks so much for the link, I've been looking for things like this!! It's too late to sign up for the high school summer prog. this year But hopefully next year I can do it..I don't know if my grades would be good enough though. I was freaking out to my parents yesterday about how I'll never get into a good enough college, because of how stupid my school is about scheduling and having enough AP's and stuff. Soo annoying..they didn't tell me that if I didn't start advanced math in 4th grade that it would screw me over now!!! I think I'm going to really buckle down and get straight A's next year (Jr. year) and do lots of clubs. I'll stop now because I'm rambling cause I'm stressed about college and only a sophomore. Oh boy.

Have fun doing the Celtic studies..I'm jealous!!

01-04-2006
fashion elite

I'm looking at the site now and getting really excited, much incentive to do well in school next year.

Do you know how many courses you can take? I'm confused about the courses...Psychology looks really interesting and so does Intro to Acting..I love acting, but have never really done any because I'm shy at my school...maybe I should try to pursue that more..there are so many things I want to do my head is spinning!!

02-04-2006
front row

Ha! I went to Harvard Summer School between my junior and senior years of high school. It was SUCH a blast--to be 16 years old and no rules, no curfew!

Oh yeah, and the courses were great, too. I took an expository writing course, and did my final paper on Harvard graffiti.

We called it "Camp Harvard." Good times...

02-04-2006
fashion elite

^ awesome!! I really really want to go after looking around the site!! tinuvielberen..how many courses can you take though? I think just 2 right? Looks like so much fun and I'd love to do the acting since there aren't really acting classes around my town!

03-04-2006
fashion icon

Yup I cannot wait. I have saved up my money for this and will enjoy every bit!!!

11-04-2006
backstage pass

I need a favour from the New Yorkers... or anyone.
Okay so here's the deal,

I am looking to head to New York this summer to take any type of beginners fashion program/course/class and willing to pay to stay there and everything. Basically I am looking for the type of experience you can only get in New York. Like a Summer class, you know? Sometimes they have requirements like over the age of such and such. I am 17 so if anyone knows of ANYTHING like this going on in New York this summer I would be thrilled if you would share the details as I have been google-ing all day everyday for a week and havent found anything.

Thank you thank you thank you!

11-04-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

Have you looked at Parson's or FIT summer classes?

11-04-2006
backstage pass

I think the summer programs that these colleges/universities are offering are a little too advanced for me. I mean, I'm not the greatest artist.

11-04-2006
etre soi-meme

^ never underestimate yourself sweet miss Electric

11-04-2006
front row

I'm currently enrolled for Parsons Fashion Design Summer Intensive in NY. Usually registration is in March and it fills up pretty quick! There's classes for High School and College/Adult levels. It's totally beginner level but some drawing skill is required. Look on their website and see how it is. =)

about to fall or fly

shuggastiletto, i'm not sure how far northeast you want to get, but nscad university in halifax, nova scotia (just north of maine) has some really good summer continuing education classes. are you looking for just fashion? there is a garment alteration and redesign class that i'm taking, as well as intro to weaving, textiles manipulation, dyeing...and if you're in highschool still, there are teen courses that also look really awesome: fashion redesign, self portrait in wire, graphic design and animation...here is the website:

http://www.nscad.ns.ca/cstudies/

trendsetter

All courses that I've looked at are for 16(some 18) and older. I'm 15, and I want to do like a summer course somewhere. Can anyone give me advice on where to find a course for 15 and older?

23-05-2006
windowshopping

Has anyone gone to FIDMs 3 Days of Fashion? I'm thinking about going this summer.

04-08-2006
V.I.P.

Home study Fashion courses?
im looking to do a home fashion course, for fun really...but the sooner the better as my time is running out of days where i have nothing to do...

anyway, i was wondering if anyone has any links or anything? i dont know how much i would want to spend now, but perhaps under £200...

info/advice?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
courses, home or online, study, summer