How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-12-2007
vogue

I'm thinking of taking some online courses from The Academy of Art, but for $700 dollars, I'm starting to rethink my options. Has anyone done any online courses from them?

04-12-2007
front row

^Is that the one in San Francisco? I was just going to say that they have home courses, and it seems to be a pretty good school. I think its only in Fashion Merchandising though.

I would never, ever, ever recommend taking any patternmaking classes on your own, lol.

And I have to second the 9 Heads book.....it was one of my textbooks for school (the writer is also a professor) and its amazing and worth the money.

04-12-2007
vogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwyn View Post
^Is that the one in San Francisco? I was just going to say that they have home courses, and it seems to be a pretty good school. I think its only in Fashion Merchandising though.
Yeah it's the one in San Francisco. I got accepted into the school, but sadly I cannot fly over there. I really wanted to take some fashion journalism classes just to practice writing about runway collections. :p

07-12-2007
windowshopping

The Fashion Campus is a little bit expensive for what they really offer, if you prefer the home school you should buy a lot of fashion drawing and illustration books in Amazon and begin with it.

14-12-2007
windowshopping

i've just received 9 heads the book is really amazing even for a beginer. Thank you for your advice!

14-12-2007
windowshopping

ps: you can find it at less than 50€ on amazon

15-12-2007
front row

I have this book called "Ilustración de Moda. Dibujo Plano". It's in Spanish, but that's not a problem because it contains only a few words, it's mostly composed by draws. It's for beginners and it only features separates (kind of croquis), and techniques (pleats,drapes, etc...) but it's still OK to learn the basics. Really cheap 25€.

Last edited by Allure; 15-12-2007 at 03:13 PM.
01-01-2008
windowshopping

Summer Programs
I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a summer intensive on fashion design. I want to take one at Otis this summer and wanted to see what people thought.

Kat

01-01-2008
front row

i took one at parsons in ny. it was really good if you wanted to get a glimpse of taking classes in fashion design & whether it was something you wanted to get into when you're applying for college.

V.I.P.

Hi Katherine
I hope you are getting through tFS alright.
We have a thread on this topic already here that you can check:
Summer and online school programs?

Please next time, do a search for similar threads instead of creating a new one
Part of tFS Community Rules
Thank you

25-02-2008
front row

By any chance does anyone know the tution for Academy Of Art?

26-02-2008
scenester

The tuition for Academy of Art Online is:

Undergraduate Courses: $600 per unit $1,800 per course
Graduate Courses: $700 per unit $2,100 per course

It's on their website at this link http://online.academyart.edu/tuition.html

Does anyone know if this a good school? I am thinking about transferring there this summer for their online program.

27-02-2008
windowshopping

thought i'd revive this thread
i'm looking for a fashion design course in paris to go this summer. trouble is, i only found programs taking place in june or july and i can only go to paris in august and september.
anyone has any suggestions?

13-07-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBride View Post
The tuition for Academy of Art Online is:

Undergraduate Courses: $600 per unit $1,800 per course
Graduate Courses: $700 per unit $2,100 per course

It's on their website at this link http://online.academyart.edu/tuition.html

Does anyone know if this a good school? I am thinking about transferring there this summer for their online program.
The fashion program is quite strong. The students show at NYFW which I don't think the other schools (FIT, Parsons) are able to do. I went here, but not for the fashion program. I've been happy with my education.

23-07-2008
windowshopping

hmmm fashion school seems expensive
I really want to learn fashion design however, after looking into this thread the only way for me to get a degree in fashion design is online (considering I'm suck in a place with NO art school of any type in range). I keep seeing the academy of art, sf as the place to get a degree online but its really expensive! I don't think I can even get financial aid since I already exhausted it at my formal college of nearly 5 years. In any case I'm going to talk to their financial person today but I doubt I'd get any (I'm already 20k in debt).

So with that, I was wondering in the event I don't go to a fashion school what books do I buy to study fashion design? What areas do I need to know like color, history,pattern making, etc....I have a sewing machine and have a book on sewing but that's it. I'm fairly good at drawing as well albeit I haven't tried fashion illustrations. Basically to sum it up, what's the poor man's guide to fashion design?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
courses, home or online, study, summer