How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-05-2005
front row

I was wondering this too, because I want to make some t-shirt dresses. Is Mood really the best place to go in NYC?

And I agree that a design board would be great.

10-05-2005
doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
i also get my jersey locally for convenience reasons but best qualities are from Italy.. bad news that sometimes Italian 'bulk' production standards occasionally doesnt match the sampling meters ones..

obviously this can only mean total catastrophe for a small production indie label, had all my jersey orders canceled because of missmatching in sample/orders jerseys, that was few seasons ago and it was done by a 'famous' italian jersey house i should had prosecuted but i didnt had the time to spend on them

*be aware where you buy your sampling meters guys and make absolutely sure that when the time comes, you will be able to get exactly the same quality/colour/weigth for your production needs.
So the jersey quality in Italy is best, but consistency is a problem...
This would make me verrry angry...so in that situation Lena, is there no right to refuse the order on your/the designer's part? I am hoping its not an either you accept the mistakes or you sue for damages situation.

10-05-2005
etre soi-meme

no, i sent the rolls back and got my money back marrimoda that wasnt a problem .

what really matters is that i had to cancel all my jersey orders and i ruined my relationship/credibility with those new clients ..i almost got into serious depression, imagine..

just be very carefull with suppliers it all changes when time for small orders start (for most manufacturers, anything down from 1000meters is a tiny order, not to be taken seriously.. huge problem for indie/start up designers)

10-05-2005
doing it

hmmm, that is bad.

10-05-2005
windowshopping

Now for some more questions. I was thinking of leaving some of the edges of the tees unfinished like the sleeves and such. Since I am not very knowledgeable with textiles would I have to cut the cotton in any special way so that they don’t quickly unravel? Like with the bias or straight grain? Also are there certain types of cotton that can handle this better? I was also wondering if there is any Egyptian cotton jersey out there?

10-05-2005
etre soi-meme

there is egyptian cotton, a friend designer worked with it but she had problems, she traveled to Egypt to get it but maybe you can get through to egyptian jersey houses through the web ..
regarding your unfinished touches, you need to try it yourself and see what kind of effect you are looking for

17-05-2005
windowshopping

Great thread, this sort of information is invaluable to me.

Does anyone know of any suppliers of good quality organic cotton jerseys? I have found some manufacturers in Europe but the quality was appalling.

17-05-2005
fashion icon

something to look into..

military clothing manufacturers probably use some of the best quality and cheapest jersey material. It has to be durable and comfortable yet affordable for soldiers (who do not make a lot of money) to buy. I wonder where they get their fabrics?

12-12-2005
rising star

Sources for Fabrics / Textiles / Trimmings / Notions / Findings, Etc.?
I'm not sure if this is appropriate for this forum but I honestly have no other idea where to ask. I have been searching and searching and searching online for suppliers for a couple of items that I need for my clothes. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. They do not technically have to be wholesale suppliers but please no craft or fabric stores unless they are near wholesale prices because I'm looking to buy hundreds of these things, not just a couple each. Thanks!

1) O-rings (also known as harness rings in hardware and someone suggested they are used in drapery...I'm not entirely sure)
2) Denim Studs...I think that is what they are called, the things that you usually find on the pockets to help keep the seams from ripping
3) Plastic parachute buckles

I can't remember if we are allowed to post links on this board or not so instead of replying with a link just tell me the name of the company and I'll find the website myself.

And I'd like to recommend a company called "Cheep Trims" to anyone looking for D-rings, it's a decent source. I'm sure not the cheapest but probably the best you can find for approx 500pc quantities.

13-12-2005
etre soi-meme

can you post some pics rockit?
there are some good German accessories companies online but i'm not sure where are you based?

it will be ok for posting links, this is strictly industry info and might be useful info to designers frequenting these forums

Last edited by Lena; 13-12-2005 at 05:50 AM.
13-12-2005
rising star

D-rings are what are attached to the beltloops on these pants:
http://cgi.ebay.com/STUDDED-Black-ZI...QQcmdZViewItem
(I already have a good source for this unless someone knows of a better one but I posted this picture incase anyone is wondering what I'm talking about http://www.cheeptrims.com )

O-rings are exactly the same except instead of being shaped like a "D" they are shaped like an "O" like on this cuff:
http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLAR-sub-Domme...QQcmdZViewItem

These are parachute buckles / side-release buckles (they are the same thing but different stores use different names):
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...ory_rn=5404692

and then as for the jean studs I was talking about someone told me the real name for them are rivets.

as for where the company is, it all boils down to price for me. If it is cheapest to buy from a german company then it's all good for me. So far I can only find these items locally or at online craft stores for expensive craft store retail prices.

Last edited by rockitgirl; 13-12-2005 at 12:04 PM.
13-12-2005
backstage pass

I get my rivets from Capital Findings, though they don't have an online store.
http://www.leatherpages.com/Listing/...eather_Ltd.htm
They're super-nice people but they prefer large wholesale orders.

Check out leather supply places in your area, maybe you won't have to ship it then Winnepeg is your city right? There's a few denim/outerwear manufacturers in your area, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some local suppliers for findings as well. Good luck!

etre soi-meme

tried to find my links directory but they seem lost in cyberspazze
anyway, i bet buying from the US maybe better for you rockit

14-12-2005
windowshopping

fabric merchants help please.
i need to find suppliers of fabric in the uk i need
cotton suitable for shirts
wool for pants ect
and also sweatshirt facbric.
please help ive used google an come up with nothing i would also prefer if they had a website. thanks
ps be nice im new.

04-09-2006
rising star

Where to buy super quality fabrics online?
Heya!

For a while I've been thinking about having jeans, t-shirts etc. custom tailored for me. Not only I hope for a nice fit, but I am also quite excited as to chose excatly which fabrics I want - if I knew where to get them, that is. And that's the problem - I find it quite hard to find any online stores that sell quality fabrics. All I see is "cheapest place on the net" and "It simply doesn't get cheaper!" and what not. And that's not really what I want. I want quality. I was also thinking about e-bay - is it possible to find anything interesting there? I'm looking for denim, cotton, silk, cashmere, merino, everything! Any link would be very appreciated!

Best regards,

5HM

(Oh, and I don't know it this was the right place to post, but just move it if can think of some where better! )

Last edited by 5-Hour man; 04-09-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designers, fabrics, findings, notions, sources, supplies or, textiles, trimings