Supplies/ Sources for Designers: Fabrics, Textiles, Trimings, Notions, Findings, Etc. - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-12-2005
backstage pass

I get my rivets from Capital Findings, though they don't have an online store.
http://www.leatherpages.com/Listing/...eather_Ltd.htm
They're super-nice people but they prefer large wholesale orders.

Check out leather supply places in your area, maybe you won't have to ship it then Winnepeg is your city right? There's a few denim/outerwear manufacturers in your area, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some local suppliers for findings as well. Good luck!

etre soi-meme

tried to find my links directory but they seem lost in cyberspazze
anyway, i bet buying from the US maybe better for you rockit

14-12-2005
windowshopping

fabric merchants help please.
i need to find suppliers of fabric in the uk i need
cotton suitable for shirts
wool for pants ect
and also sweatshirt facbric.
please help ive used google an come up with nothing i would also prefer if they had a website. thanks
ps be nice im new.

28-04-2006
windowshopping

jeans online sourcing
Hi fellow Fashionistas!!
My name is Carmen and I need your opinion on a business opportunity I was given. Simply, I currently was introduced to an opportunity that will allow me to open up my own online jeans store. I will be selling high fashion jeans ie. Joes, Rock & Republic, True Religions, Sevens, Citizens, Chips & Pepper, Antique, & Habitual. Right now I am looking at all of the aspects of this business and the first thing I want to target/market is the price. If I am to do it, I will be selling the jeans at lower prices than what you will get from the dep't stores like Saks et al.
So they question I pose to you all, is how many of you think this is a good idea? Also, how many of you will actually have an interest in shopping for such items?
FYI, if I am to go thru with this, I will have to start within continental U.S. and if successful then move int'l.

Ok. my thanks in Advance

28-04-2006
V.I.P.

Geez, we had those posts back to back...:p
here is my thought: I won't buy jeans above $250, and I'd love to buy good jeans at lower price with wide selection of washes and sizes.
I would like to make sure that the jeans are authentic. There were issues in brick&motar stores, and so as a online store, you need to create certain credibility.
In addition, freeshipping/exchange is the key if you want people to shop jeans online

Last edited by Caffeine; 28-04-2006 at 08:35 PM.

28-04-2006
flaunt the imperfection

moved to the careers and education forum

28-04-2006
follow the lights

Try to add some minimalistic brands as well.. So you can target a wider range of (potential) customers... thus creating maximal profit.

Consider brands like Acne Jeans, Cheap Monday, APC etc.

Last edited by Baizilla; 28-04-2006 at 09:58 PM.
28-04-2006
front row

If I saw that I would think that the jeans were fake

etre soi-meme

i dont buy jeans online and somehow i thnk there are just too many web boutiques in the web retail as it is..
on the price point, 200 euros is max what i pay for jeans

30-04-2006
windowshopping

reworking standard t-shirts - legal?
if i where to buy wholesale t-shirts from american apparel or hanes could i take there tage off and put my own?

30-04-2006
front row

Consider having an affiliate program, that could give you an edge.

30-04-2006
front row

I wondered the same because Ive heard of people "reconstructing" old levi's and what not and selling them under their old label. So I guess it's not illegal, but perhaps you have to change something about it?

30-04-2006
windowshopping

oo.cuz i would really like to know

30-04-2006
flaunt the imperfection

perfectly legal...as far as i know...

it's done all the time

30-04-2006
backstage pass

First off, I'm not a lawyer yet, so none of this information should be taken as legal advice. It is educational only. For further guidance you should see an attorney.

DON'T let any of this scare you. Your initial post is very vague, so I have no idea why you'd be taking off the tags, but nothing is going to happen if you're just using cheap tees for your designs if it is for your own personal use or to make things for friends. Just be aware that if t-shirt design becomes a source of significant income, you'll want to talk to an attorney and set up an actual business relationship with a shirt producer. This all presumes that you're in the US. The UK is similar. I have no idea about other countries.

Technically it is violation of the Lanham Act called "reverse passing off". This is opposed to "passing off" which would be selling your goods as someone else's--- saying something you produced is another company's product. And yes, their tag is a trademark and your new one, even if unregistered is also a trademark. A trademark is basically anything that is indicative of source.

[b]1-8 Trademark and Unfair Competition Deskbook § 8.02 [8] describes it as follows-

"A different form of unfair competition has been found to occur when a purchaser of goods removes the original trademark, substitutes another trademark of the purchaser's choosing, and then offers the product for resale. Such conduct has been termed ''reverse passing [or palming] off.'' Since the original trademark owner made its profit on the initial sale, the damage to it from such resales is not at once apparent. One court described the injury in this manner:

In reverse palming off cases, the originator of the misidentified product is involuntarily deprived of the advertising value of its name and of the goodwill that otherwise would stem from public knowledge of the true source of the satisfactory product. The ultimate purchaser is also deprived of knowing the true source of the product and may even be deceived into believing that it comes from another source."

Last edited by visconti; 30-04-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
accesories, clothing, designers, fabrics, factories, finding, findings, italian, jeans, jewelry, leather, manufacturers, materials, mills, notions, online, sources, sourcing, supplies or, textiles, trim, trimings