How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-01-2007
More Old Skool Than You

The Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon D80 are the same camera about. You can't go wrong with either, it's like the old Chevy vs. Ford arguements. But that's for entry level. I've used a D200 and it blew me away. A 5D was nice too. But they're overkill for what I'm doing now. The beauty of the Rebel and the D80 is the lenses fit on the pro bodies, so you don't have to worry about lenses later on, assuming you get nice lenses.

28-01-2007
about to fall or fly

i just got a pentax K10D 10 mp digital SLR, and it's amazing. i have been using pentaxes for years and i have a lot of pentax gear. i'd been borrowing my friend's canon digirebel 6mp for a few years before that and i really liked it, but i had to go with the pentax.

V.I.P.

I own a Canon Rebel XTi and it takes the most amazing photos. It is easy to handle, even for beginners, yet there are so many functions to discover. I'd definitely recommend it!

V.I.P.

I'm getting either the Canon EOS 400D or the Nikon D40X. I want a professional one, despite that I'm starting out. Those are in my price ranges... Any thoughts on those two, although I'm also open to any other great models?

backstage pass

I wnat a Nikon D40....does any one have one...if so how good is it??

trendsetter

You really can't beat Nikons for color quality. The D70 is really popular, but I've been using a Nikon D50 for two years and the quality of the photos is just amazing.

14-10-2007
More Old Skool Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorlover View Post
I wnat a Nikon D40....does any one have one...if so how good is it??
I've heard of issues with the quality of the camera itself, as far as being so plastic-y. The first D50's from a certain factory were haunted, I had a friend send his back 3-4 times before they settled with a him by giving him a D70. I think the new D50's are named D50s.

V.I.P.

Friends have told me that the Nikon D4O and D40X do not have a great battery life...

front row

Are we allowed to ask about the photographic techniques of every fashion photographer here? Well not exactly in this thread but since I don't know where to ask this question I thought I'd start over here. I'm very interested in the cameras, techniques, etc that Steven Meisel uses to shoot for his Vogue Italia covers. Like for the recent Toni Garrn and Katrin Thormann cover. I have a Nikon D80 camera and I'm not an expert at all in using the camera, just taking normal shots and still experimenting with it but would a D80 be able to recreate that cover of Toni and Katrin? What ISO sensitivity, priority mode, shutter speed, aperture, exposure, lighting, etc etc should I be using to get the same picture like the Toni and Katrin cover? Or is it more than just having a high-powered DSLR camera? Do we have to tak into account those umbrella light thingies and other stuff to recreate something as beautiful as that or would a DSLR camera suffice?

V.I.P.

^ Photographers usually use medium format cameras to shoot eds and campaigns.

13-11-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealseven View Post
^ Photographers usually use medium format cameras to shoot eds and campaigns.
what exactly is a medium format camera? is it a high-powered telephoto lens camera? or maybe cameras such as the D700, D900 or anything above it?

tfs star

^ maybe you can google it first.

13-11-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvingLorenzo View Post
what exactly is a medium format camera? is it a high-powered telephoto lens camera? or maybe cameras such as the D700, D900 or anything above it?
Medium format refers to a camera which uses a larger format film than the standard 35 mm (and dslrs). Hasselblad and Mamiya are examples of these types cameras.

"Generally, the term applies to film and cameras used to produce images larger than the 24 by 36 mm of 135 film, but smaller than the 4"×5" size, which is considered to be large format."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_format_(film)

As for the D700, 900 etc, they have a full frame sensor. What this means is that in the standard non-professional cameras such as the D80 or the Canon XTI, they use a smaller sensor (what records the image) as compared to the standard 35mm film frame whereas the D700 records an image the same size as the 35mm film frame. If that isnt clear, heres a sight to explain it

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...op-factor.aspx

13-11-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by bChan View Post
Medium format refers to a camera which uses a larger format film than the standard 35 mm (and dslrs). Hasselblad and Mamiya are examples of these types cameras.

"Generally, the term applies to film and cameras used to produce images larger than the 24 by 36 mm of 135 film, but smaller than the 4"×5" size, which is considered to be large format."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_format_(film)

As for the D700, 900 etc, they have a full frame sensor. What this means is that in the standard non-professional cameras such as the D80 or the Canon XTI, they use a smaller sensor (what records the image) as compared to the standard 35mm film frame whereas the D700 records an image the same size as the 35mm film frame. If that isnt clear, heres a sight to explain it

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...op-factor.aspx
yeah i actually did find a few useful websites which talk about the medium format camera but thanx for the links anyway! so basically if you want to buy one you'd have to go to a professional photography specialty shop since they don't seem to sell it everywhere and it seems they're pretty expensive compared to DSLR cameras...does anybody know the average price of these types of cameras? and what types/which brands of m. f. cameras does steven meisel use for his eds, covers and campaigns? which ones are considered to be the good ones?

so i'm assuming that dslr cameras won't be able to replicate those amazing pictures that steven meisel always produces.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvingLorenzo View Post
yeah i actually did find a few useful websites which talk about the medium format camera but thanx for the links anyway! so basically if you want to buy one you'd have to go to a professional photography specialty shop since they don't seem to sell it everywhere and it seems they're pretty expensive compared to DSLR cameras...does anybody know the average price of these types of cameras? and what types/which brands of m. f. cameras does steven meisel use for his eds, covers and campaigns? which ones are considered to be the good ones?

so i'm assuming that dslr cameras won't be able to replicate those amazing pictures that steven meisel always produces.

You can most definitely replicate the picture, its not the camera that takes the pictures! His pictures only come out bigger so that they can be blown up for magazines and still retain their quality etc. Just find out what kind of lighting system it, and maybe get into his mind for some inspiration =p and medium format cameras cost upwards of $10,000

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
gear, lighting, photographers, post#1, pro, resources, talk, tech